Claim form received erroneously at my home address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. I'm panicing and would really welcome some advice.

A claim form came through the post at my address a couple of days ago, addressed to my ex wife.

When we divorced two years ago, I purchased her share of our property and now live alone in the former matrimonial home.

She had a personal overdraft debt to Lloyds Bank which was never repaid and over the months I've had telephone calls and letters from a company called 1st Credit chasing it.

I understand they've bought the debt and continuously tell them she no longer lives here; as we split acrimoniously, I've no idea where she is now.

A couple of days ago, I received a brown envelope addressed to her and I could see the County Court emblem so opened it (I know I shouldn't). It was a claim form issued by 1st Credit for the debt of £2300ish.

My problem is this is not my debt and it's issued in my surname so I'll be tagged I'm sure some way on my credit file, which is currently clean.

I've been looking online for similar circumstances, but can't find any. Has anyone on here got advice how I can get this cancelled and re-directed?

Your assistance will really help.

Hi Shireen1

Welcome to CAG

Could you not put the docs back in the envelope, seal it up. Write 'Wrong Address' on the envelope with a marker, post it. Let the Royal Mail, return it.

The guys will advise as soon as they are available.

Thread moved to correct forum.

Hi Shireen1

Welcome to CAG

Could you not put the docs back in the envelope, seal it up. Write 'Wrong Address' on the envelope with a marker, post it. Let the Royal Mail, return it.

The guys will advise as soon as they are available.

Thread moved to correct forum.

I wouldn't do this as the courts get many returned Claims saying not at this address etc. But they go ahead anyway as a lot of people try this to dodge a case.

I would write to the court with proof of the buy out and proof that your the sole occupant eg council tax bill ?

It wasn't addressed to the OP so it shouldn't have been opened. So in that situation you would just 'return it to sender'.

I wouldn't do this as the courts get many returned Claims saying not at this address etc. But they go ahead anyway as a lot of people try this to dodge a case.

I would write to the court with proof of the buy out and proof that your the sole occupant eg council tax bill ?

Defendant is not you

House is in your name and not that of the claimant

Debt looks to be a personal one ft the defendant and no shared responsibility.

Reseal and return to sender

If she gets a ccj its down to her.

Baliffs will not be able to enact anything as you can show proof that the house is in your name alone and defendant does not live there.

Unless someone corrects me, it is not your problem.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.