Irish Debt in UK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone needing some help with this one.

I had a loan with an Irish bank with an outstanding amount of around €7,000. I left Ireland just over 4 years ago and made them an offer to pay €5,000 before I left which they refused, so I left Ireland without paying the loan in full.

Fast forward 4 years and i now live in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK and I have received an email from Certus stating that I still owe the bank money and if I do not wish to engage with the bank then he will advise of same and the bank will then make a decision.

I have already asked for a copy of the agreement.

The questions I have are:

Can They issue a CCJ for my home in Northern Ireland

Can this effect my UK credit score

What response if any can I give to them

Any help is greatly appreciated.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi unclebulgaria67

Another user on hear asked me to post a new thread with this info and send him a link to the post. The organisation you mentioned were very nice but could not speak to me as it is a loan that is in Republic of Ireland.

Hi unclebulgaria67

Another user on hear asked me to post a new thread with this info and send him a link to the post. The organisation you mentioned were very nice but could not speak to me as it is a loan that is in Republic of Ireland.

A bit odd that someone on CAG would ask you to post another thread about the same issue, same questions etc.

The debt charity in N.I should have been able to answer questions about foreign debt enforcement in N.I. You really just want to know whether the Irish bank can enforce the debt in N.I, using the courts in N.I The answer is that they can and they have done so previously against other people.

If you want advice about the debt in Ireland and how to deal with it using the rules that apply in Ireland, you will have to phone a debt advisor in Ireland. Perhaps there are actions you can take in Ireland, that would stop the bank trying to enforce the debt.

https://www.mabs.ie/about-mabs/

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The questions I have are:

Can They issue a CCJ for my home in Northern Ireland

Can this effect my UK credit score

What response if any can I give to them

To answer the questions:

They will struggle to bring a court claim in NI; the loan agreement will be subject to the laws of Ireland.

I've not heard of foreign debts being reported by UK CRAs..

Only you can decide how to answer them; you could make an offer if you still have the funds, otherwise wait and see what they do next.

They will struggle to bring a court claim in NI; the loan agreement will be subject to the laws of Ireland.

I have been corrected on this before. Apparently it is really easy to bring a claim in a court of another EU member state. There are EU wide arrangements for this.