lose housing benefit if work for a week? Do I have to re-apply?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been on JSA for about two months and have claimed for housing benefit for this same time.

I have been offered some work for a few days next week.

If I do everything properly I understand that I have to sign off JSA and then re-apply afterwards because it is for more than 16 hours.

Does this mean that I have to tell the council about my change in circumstances and then reapply? The whole process is slow and painful!

Also when I reapply they will ask me for details of the work and a payslip but I won't have one as it will be paid after I invoice the people giving me the work some time over the next couple of months.

Thanks!

A few days to a weeks worth of work? In all honesty I would be asking myself if it is worth the hassle. In the end with the paperwork, proving circumstances, re-applying etc it cannot be worth it unless it is for very good money. Personally, *I* would not bother but each to their own

Around the same as me, I get around £157 p/w JSA and HB. I thinkl you are obliged to let the council and know, if your details are on file it should be a rapid reclaim I would imagine but don't take my word for it. At £300p/d I would go for it though - just make sure you are not penalised AFTER the work is finished although I think you can have up to £6k savings before being affected

Thanks. I'll ask them about a rapid reclaim (the JSA is easy enough done that a couple of times; 20 mins on the computer and an extra visit to the job centre). Hopefully the council has something similar. The moeny (and the experience plus the possibility of future work is definitely worth the extra paperwork tho

I agree, bear in mind the council may ask for payslips and proof of income etc - give them a call and explain the situation and they should be able to explain how it works. Remember you will get pro-rate HB up to the day before you start working as you will JSA so don't let them stop it completely

Just make sure you are not going to be ripped off, happened to a friend locally, they were promised payment on receipt of inovice, did 6 days intensive IT work and ended up well and truly stitched up.

If it were me I would keep quiet until the payment came through then declare it as additional income.l

Just make sure you are not going to be ripped off, happened to a friend locally, they were promised payment on receipt of inovice, did 6 days intensive IT work and ended up well and truly stitched up.

If it were me I would keep quiet until the payment came through then declare it as additional income.l

I would go this route but I have to sign on on Friday when I will working. I could make an excuse and miss this appointment?

If it were me I would keep quiet until the payment came through then declare it as additional income.

You are required to notify the council of a change in circumstances "within a reasonable time" - For some, this may be within a week or two. If the work is expected to last just a few days, notify them once you have the free time.

Did the same just before Christmas - Didn't have time to notify the council until after things had settled down.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

remember as soon as you finish your work and begin your rapid reclaim you can go to your housing benefit and do a nil income claim while you wait for JSA to restart

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

remember as soon as you finish your work and begin your rapid reclaim you can go to your housing benefit and do a nil income claim while you wait for JSA to restart

sorry please could you expand on this point please? Thanks very much

After you have submitted your rapid reclaim for jsa, go to your local housing office and ask to claim benefit based on a Nil Income until your JSA reclaim is completed. It means you will begin your housing benefit reclaim immediately instead of waiting for your JSA to come through.

When you regain your JSA, update your circumstances with Housing Office

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Please let's not be encouraging any benefit fraud here, caggers.

OP, you know what you need to do - yes it's painfully tedious to be filling out all the forms and providing evidence - but as someone who had to complete these forms for people as part of their job, I can say it's not so bad, and after your few days of work finishes, you'll have plenty of time to do it.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I'm not advocating benefit fraud, there are two much overused words in the English language at the moment, abuse and fraud......

If somebody doesn't have enough to get the bills paid, jobseek and eat and heat their home then this country has failed in its objective to stop poverty at ANY level.... I've been on benefits for 2 years and it was not easy, all I occasionally got was £10 for typing out some invoices for people, and yes, I declared it ''just in case".

I got told off by the Work Provider for accepting 'work' like this without their permission, as it wouldn't lead to long term work - I pointed out it took me about 2 minutes of time to type the one or two line details onto a template invoice and email and print it for my friend.

The £10 was once every two weeks so it was not a fortune, and very often came in between my benefits payments.

The 'life of Riley' when on benefits that is portrayed by the popular press does not apply when you are a single woman over 50 with no children at all.

Luckily I am now in employment which looks like lasting until the end of July, I've downsized my living conditions into a better place (nice and warm without heating which helps my arthritis) and the rent is much cheaper.

After my current contract finishes I am NOT going to sign on, I am going self-employed and claiming Working Tax Credit which is what I should have done when I was made redundant, I would have had a lot more money available to pursue my own business.

What people need - instead of being spoonfed government rubbish that 'jobs are plentiful and ready to walk into' by the work providers is real practical help in managing on a small income, how to set up 'sharing groups' for bulk buying food and also how to question what you are being told by the work providers about 'you will be sanctioned if....'

Luckily I was able to have a fairly local work provider and managed to prove very early on that my own administrative processes were way superior to theirs, in fact I offered to work for them for a month to help them 'streamline' their office processes to free up time and eliminate errors when sending out their appointment letters - needless to say my offer was declined.