Blimey..I didn't know my car could do 60!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3593 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So obviously you must know by now that I got snapped doing 60 (apparently) on a dual carriageway (50 limit) I saw the van (too late obviously) and thought there was a chance I'd be done...

Believe me when I say my 21 year old car was not zipping through the traffic; in fact as I automatically looked down at the speedo (we all do it, don't we?) I read mid 50's and my speedo generally reads higher than my car is going. There were plenty more cars overtaking me during my entire journey, but here were are...The police must have had a good day.

Sooo the ticket arrived and unlike any others I've had during my life (14 years ago the last time), I have been offered a £100 fine and 3 points OR £110 fine and a driver awareness course...

Soooo what I want to find out is what are the pros and cons, if any, of taking the course, or accepting the points...

Over to you boffins

Pros are that you don't get points

Cons are that next time you get 10 years

Is that a joke???!!! :!:

My insurance is quite low (I've been told) as I do limited miles and have a XX years protected no claims bonus thingymy.

OH doesn't think it would affect the insurance unduly.

I read somewhere once that the Insurance co's are now penalising drivers who take the course to avoid the points...any truth in that????

I read somewhere once that the Insurance co's are now penalising drivers who take the course to avoid the points...any truth in that????

Car insurers now penalising drivers who take speed awareness courses instead of taking points on licence

Speeding motorists who believe they will avoid rocketing insurance premiums by choosing a speed awareness course over three points on their licence need to think again.

Insurance company Admiral says it is now treating drivers who complete the course exactly the same as those that take a fine and points – which means increased premiums.

Now, police officials are warning the insurer’s stance could undermine the awareness course and even harm road safety.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2235261/Car-insurers-Admiral-penalising-drivers-speed-awareness-courses-instead-taking-points-licence.html#ixzz32STlPc46

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2235261/Car-insurers-Admiral-penalising-drivers-speed-awareness-courses-instead-taking-points-licence.html

Apparently this is correct..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Admiral (and it's various brands) are the only insurer who ask or care whether you've done a SAC. and they don't treat it in the same way as a conviction, or at least when I had a play on their website3 points would have put my quote up more than a SAC.

Alternatives to prosecution are now subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act in any event and by my reading become spent after 3 months, so I think a strong argument can be made that Admiral should no longer be loading premiums for SACs and that you are entitled to answer "no" when they ask if you've done one so long as it was more than 3 months ago. (NB This is my opinion and AFAIK the argument hasn't been tested yet in court or at the Financial Ombudsman)

So obviously you must know by now that I got snapped doing 60 (apparently) on a dual carriageway (50 limit) I saw the van (too late obviously) and thought there was a chance I'd be done...

Believe me when I say my 21 year old car was not zipping through the traffic; in fact as I automatically looked down at the speedo (we all do it, don't we?) I read mid 50's and my speedo generally reads higher than my car is going. There were plenty more cars overtaking me during my entire journey, but here were are...The police must have had a good day.

Sooo the ticket arrived and unlike any others I've had during my life (14 years ago the last time), I have been offered a £100 fine and 3 points OR £110 fine and a driver awareness course...

Soooo what I want to find out is what are the pros and cons, if any, of taking the course, or accepting the points...

Over to you boffins

The offer to pay £110 is not actually a fine, but the cost of going on the course. Your options are

£100 fine and 3 points

or

take a £110 course and have no fine or points.

had the same thing 3 years ago (when it was £60 & 3 points or £85 course)

• 3 weeks later...
Actually if you look around you can find the course for £90, which is £10 less than the fine!

Depends where you get caught. OH recently paid £80 for SAC instead of £100 fine and points.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

My cousin has been with Admiral for years. They have a multi car policy covering (for example) 3 cars & 4 drivers. Which recently had to be updated.

One of the named drivers has 3 points (CU80) I believe it's called, for using a mobile & they also had an SAC course for speeding, both of these occured within the last year.

Admiral were informed & the £ cost was shocking! As they increased the policy by just over £200 for the rest of the term left!

I do feel it's totally unjust, as you are already punished by being given the points/fines &/or having to pay for the SAC!

But then Admiral punish you all over again by having your insurance costs increased!! So you loose out twice!!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

My cousin has been with Admiral for years. They have a multi car policy covering (for example) 3 cars & 4 drivers. Which recently had to be updated.

One of the named drivers has 3 points (CU80) I believe it's called, for using a mobile & they also had an SAC course for speeding, both of these occured within the last year.

Admiral were informed & the £ cost was shocking! As they increased the policy by just over £200 for the rest of the term left!

I do feel it's totally unjust, as you are already punished by being given the points/fines &/or having to pay for the SAC!

But then Admiral punish you all over again by having your insurance costs increased!! So you loose out twice!!

One is society's penalty imposed by the courts for breach of the criminal law.

The other is the insurance company's response to the increased risk of a driver who is happy to speed and use a mobile while driving.

Are you suggesting that we should all pay one flat rate premium regardless of our individual risk?

If so, there is less incentive for those of us who try to drive safely, if we are going to pay the same as the speeders and drink drivers (thus subsidising them!) .....

It would be for the increased risk they have assessed. If someone uses their phone and disobeys speeding laws, they have to be a greater risk and with greater risk comes increased premiums.