• Tweets

• I know it would be a hassle to put all that in. However certain things that help your case and destroy their WS would probably mean that even Simple Simon as stupid and greedy as he is, would probably decide that yours was one case that he did not want to challenge in Court. If he lost on the relevant land part, his whole business at Southend airport would be over.  He would have many motorists who have paid coming back to him plus claiming GDPR payments and every other airport that they control would probably have a claim against him too.. So you are best to hit him with a strong WS to stop him from going to Court. Will it stop him if you include all that. It should do but he may have the chutzpah to think that he can argue his way out of it.  So your choice.  
    • Thanks for that, point one just confirms what I thought, I will get back to work on it with those suggestions in mind. Cheers
    • Two quick and immediate points:   1. Do NOT get your employer to suggest you were exhausted. You shouldn't drive whilst exhausted and it aggravates the offences. But in any case, since you are pleading guilty to them it doesn't matter. The circumstances of each offence are not relevant when the court considers your EH argument. By that time you have been convicted of them and how or why they happened is not a consideration.    2. Instead your employer's letter to the court should concentrate on the "Hardship" that others (e.g. the company or your colleagues) will suffer if you are banned. It should also cover why no alternatives are available to them (e.g. are your skills and knowledge scarce such that they cannot easily be replaced; can they not train somebody else quickly to do your job). That sounds harsh but your employer will be asking the court to accept that they will suffer hardship. Part of doing that is to demonstrate that no practical alternatives are available.   Remember, you will get three points for each offence whatever mitigation you offer for them - that is the minimum. So you don't need to concentrate on that. Concentrate on explaining the exceptional hardship that you or others will suffer.
    • Well that sounds a bit more hopeful. I suggest that you search the land registry https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do and if you happen to find that he is the owner of the property then you've got a very good chance at enforcing a judgement. He doesn't own the property then I think we have serious problems. I think that the search costs may be about £3 or so. This is definitely worthwhile doing
    • but you sent a cca request to the claimant did you not?   dx  
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Unemployed gardener found hanged the day after Job Centre visit

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2441 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

:(

Thats sad. :(

Someone should be compiling this stuff.

From what I can see here, the Stigma of being unemployed is what Killed this lad. discraceful

I feel for his family and room mate.

Wish I had the investment, id set up a private job center that actually helps people not reduce them into quibbling wrecks

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

What's particularly sad is that this young chap evidently had some training in gardening. A good jobcentre adviser could have been helping him to set up as a part time private gardener while he looked for a position that would enable him to continue with his training in order to advance him in a career.

I worry that the JCP is more about sanctions than helping people into work and the WP providers are more about profits.

A very, very sad story, and worse because it is no way an isolated incident.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

i seen this in the paper i must say poor boy the job centre should be doing more esp for the poor lad he did not want benefits he went there and they offered a follow up meeting in 2 weeks an 2 weeks of no job no cash is a very long time and does take it toll. R.I.P

the job centre should be doing much more helping people instead of not giving a crap about people i think if we had there job and they came to sign on they would be the same not happy.

much more could and should have been done for this young lad

i think the job centre should be offering people help everytime they come to sign on like if they feel really depressing or something put them into professional people who can help there well being.

if i had a business i would do everything possible to get many people away from there and in to work but sadly these days its a shambles and it is really depressing for us the unemployed.

Maybe experienced CAGGERS should open up a volentary job shop :p

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Truly heartbreaking.

The sad reality is , no one cares. The government & the job center don`t give a flying F%k about this kind of pressure & feeling of hopelessness , they will pay lip service to his & others who have taken this path but they are collateral damage in the continuing war on the welfare state.

Nothing will prick their conscience or make them think about the impact on the families concerned. No caring government would allow these draconian systems & measures to exist if they did . I truly fear for the people of this country in the next 30 / 50 yrs , as the industrial power bases are 100% established in foreign countries & the realisation that you can`t run a country on service industries & non jobs, if there is no one left to serve hits home. Major corporations fund & control any government of the day, with the European parliament another bureaucratic communist brick wall to employment & living standards in the UK , this type of tragedy will become all to frequent.

Given the choice I would never tell the jobcentre anything though plus the media have effectively aided the government in demonising the unemployed and anyone on benefits

This was a terrible tragedy but the jobcentre is predictable denying any responsibility

Given the choice I would never tell the jobcentre anything though plus the media have effectively aided the government in demonising the unemployed and anyone on benefits

This was a terrible tragedy but the jobcentre is predictable denying any responsibility

ye it sure is a terrible tragedy and your correct jobcentre will deny any responsibility and to be honest when will the job centre ever hold there hands up and say they did something wrong to me never as they do not care about any one bar themselves !

i bet this dont make the news.

thats why i stopped buying the sun. they never cover sad storys like this one.

It was covered on BBC 2 Jeremy Vine followed with a phone in this lunch time.

It made for sad listening, not just this poor mans death but the plight of other young people some who have never worked since leaving either collage or Uni.

Lots of people sending in over 200 job application some getting as little as 10% back in replies, one lad had one interview from those stats.

Moans about the JC and not helping people (which was not really picked up on in any great detail).

I am so confused about this story (but that does not make my feelings of sadness for this boy and his family any less) his father says he was to proud to claim benefits and did not get anything from the state, so why was he going to the job centre if he wasn't signing on and claiming JSA? His father said I think that left him in despair that he’d be without money for another fortnight so again that shows that he must have been signing on for money rather then just NI credits so the fathers statements do not add up (or the papers interpretation of those statements)

The fathers statement about how the jobs went to younger people who wanted less also does not ring true, how many employers send put a letter saying sorry you haven't got the job we gave it to a younger cheaper person? it would be against the age discrimination act for a start.

As I say I feel for the family but in most articles like this there must be other underlying factors that the family did know about or find it hard to admit

That interviee was his first. He finally relented and claimed

The jobcentre doesn't help though

The best you can hope for is to be left alone

It's just targets now with too many

If there were jobs to be had I would say OK then some pressure is acceptable (not sanctions) but just making sure people are looking and applying for work.

The fact that there are NO jobs makes the whole process almost criminal and cruel beyond belief.

I do not know how anyone can sit behind their desk and apply these sanctions and harassment when they know the true state of play.

Most job seekers already feel depressed with low self esteem, what good making them jump through hoops adding further misery and pressure for something that is not out there.

Could you face work knowing that today, tomorrow, next week you have got to stop someones money, the only pittance they have to survive on, simply because they did not meet ALL the exact requirements.

How come it does not work the other way (extra money) for those that go the extra mile!

"The fact that there are NO jobs makes the whole process almost criminal and cruel beyond belief."

Bu according to the govt there are PLENTY of jobs and unemployment is falling (laughs) More like more people are getting f***ed off and simply signing off or moving on to ESA because they are being made ill through this process

The Job Centre's function is centered around numbers and targets so the government can spin their relentless rhetoric. There is little empathy with their 'customers', this young man should be alive today.

And more unemployed are being forced into part time jobs zero hours and self employed.

The discussion needs to move from number of jobs available to a measurement of average weekly hours worked to get a more accurate figure

Ideally increase salaries, decrease hours, set a maximum, the government can subsidize the new jobs created as they wouldn't be paying benefits.

And more unemployed are being forced into part time jobs zero hours and self employed.

The discussion needs to move from number of jobs available to a measurement of average weekly hours worked to get a more accurate figure