Jump to content

GAdventures not honouring paid booking - age discrimination - ** PARTIALLY RESOLVED **


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I booked a GAdventures holiday via STA Travel.


Brochure states recommended 18-39s.


We are older but travelled last year to India with them no problem.


STA Travel took full payment for tour and flights (seats booked etc).


I received confirmation and receipt from STA Travel.


No documents from GAdventures arrived after over a month,


I queried this with STA Travel, who tell me GAdventures won't accept our booking because of our ages

and they have now changed their policy since the brochures was printed.


STA admit it's not my fault but are pushing me to take another tour (more active!)

and GAdventures are telling me to take it up with STA.


Is there any legal battle here - false advertising etc,

plus my money has been taken and confirmation received from STA Travel.


Any legal advice would be much appreciated,


thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

how did you pay please?



please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, paid with debit card. I'm sure I would get a refund, however it's the tour we REALLY want - everything we want to do suited to our budget. JJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you didn't misrepresent your age, then you are in an excellent position.


The bottom line is that you are entitled to receive the holiday you contracted for - or an equivalent - without any extra cost to your self.


The problem will be to enforce it all in time for your holiday.

When is the holiday date?


I think that you may need to take a very robust attitude which would include an early threat to take legal action in the County Court - and you may even have to do that.


I would expect that the travel company would eventually prefer to refund you and to get shot of you as a troublesome customer.


I think that you have to begin by deciding what lengths you are prepared to go to on this. County Court action is very simple and on what you say, your chances of success are excellent.

You should go to STA and ask them for suggestions as to alternatives - buit there is no reason why you should be obliged to accept a refund of that means that you are eventually out of pocket. However, it may all mean that you are not able to begin your holiday on the intended date - because it may take longer than that to sort out. If it does take longer, then you would be able to add an additional claim for compensation

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you BankFodder.


The Holiday date isn't until September. We certainly didn't misrepresent our ages as copies of our passports were taken at the time of booking and payment. I am so grateful for your advice. I will await GAdventures telephone call, then speak again to STA Travel and then put an update on here. Thank you. JJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't start waiting for people's phone calls. You'll be waiting all year.

You need to take control of this problem - because you can be sure that both STA and GA would jut rather the whole thing went away.

If you are going to call people then make sure that you record every call. Record your calls - with no exceptions.

Never agree that anyone will call you back. Keep control. Tell people that you will call them back and get them to commit to a time by which they think that they will have some answer to give you. As soon as you have agreed to let someone choose the time they call you, then you have handed control over to them and you will be drumming your fingers until you think that you have waited long enough - and then you eventually call them.

Confirm everything in writing. Make notes of everything. Get name of everyone you speak to - and a number to call them back - and an email address if possible. Log every call in a notebook.


However, why are you dealing with GAD? It is STA who should be sorting this out. They have a high street presence and you should be asking them all the awkward questions. They are responsible and if you sue someone then it will be them.

You have already fallen into the first trap - you have allowed yourself to be deflected to GAD. This gets you out of STA's hair and into the hands of a company which has nothing to do with it.

You should be at STA demanding a suitable alternative - and if it costs extra then you make it clear to STA that you will take it but that you will be suing them for the difference.

It will be important to get your booking in now so that you know where you stand - but then serve STA with an LBA and be prepared to start action at the expiry of 14 days for the balance.

If you have booked the new holiday then they won't be able to cancel just because you are suing them. You must make it clear to them that you are not going to stand for any nonsense and that you will not settle for any compromise.

Push them and make sure that you get the holiday you want - and a bit better than you paid for.

If you do issue court papers, STA will back down. They are used to people making threats and not carrying them out. Show STA that you are the one person who will be as good as your word. I'm afraid that I don't expect that there is any other way.

By the way, if you go to see STA, I would carry a small digital recorder and make sure that everything is recorded.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute, sincere thanks BankFodder.


I did good. I chased up the call and it appears STA are meeting with a GAD rep tomorrow morning to discuss my case. Update tomorrow.


Thank you, JJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good. I suggest that you drop STA a note in advance. Make it clear to them that whatever arrangement they agree with GA, that they are responsible and that it will be them who receive court papers if a satisfactory outcome is not achieved.

All of this may sound strident - but you need to put pressure on all parties but especially STA

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Update: A satisfactory outcome on STA Travel part - they have offered an alternative at no extra cost to us. It wasn't 100% what we wanted but at least we're still going on holiday. Will still be logging an official complaint to G Adventures. With thanks, JJ.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...