HMRC holding Tax?

stuart2410
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been on an emergency tax code since November, I am now on the correct code, however... I am owed approximately £1000 in tax, I spoke to HMRC and the lady was very distant in telling me anything.

She told me that I was still down as being self employed and that I haven't filed a tax return for 4 years and I have a bill of £3400 (ish) all built up from late filing penalties etc.

She was requesting information over the phone about when I was last self employed and so on, I couldn't give her the exact dates so she has asked me to call back with all the information, my concern is that I no longer have all the information they need and all would be estimates.

Who / where is the best place for me to seek advice? and can HMRC hold the money that I am owed from me paying to much tax this year because of these apparent penalties.

Thank You

Hi Stuart

When were you put onto the correct tax code.

If it was done in time for your last pay day before 6th April 2014, you should have automatically been refunded any overpaid tax with your wages.

If it was not sorted in time for the 2013/14 tax year, HMRC will have to refund you direct when you've filled in a tax return for the y/e 5th April 2014.

If you've not filed tax returns as required when you were self employed, then you may well owe tax and/or penalties and they are going to take this into account before making any refund to you.

It may be prudent to use an accountant or tax advisor if you've been self employed but not filed returns. You'll have to pay their fees but they may be able to save you money overall by negotiating on your behalf. Use someone recommended to you by someone you know.

You should be able to have a free initial interview with an advisor during which you should ask about the likely level of fees you'll have to pay.

Do not speak to HMRC by phone and keep everything in writing only. They could use what you say against you so you need a written record of communications.

:-)

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Stuart

When were you put onto the correct tax code.

If it was done in time for your last pay day before 6th April 2014, you should have automatically been refunded any overpaid tax with your wages.

If it was not sorted in time for the 2013/14 tax year, HMRC will have to refund you direct when you've filled in a tax return for the y/e 5th April 2014.

If you've not filed tax returns as required when you were self employed, then you may well owe tax and/or penalties and they are going to take this into account before making any refund to you.

It may be prudent to use an accountant or tax advisor if you've been self employed but not filed returns. You'll have to pay their fees but they may be able to save you money overall by negotiating on your behalf. Use someone recommended to you by someone you know.

You should be able to have a free initial interview with an advisor during which you should ask about the likely level of fees you'll have to pay.

Do not speak to HMRC by phone and keep everything in writing only. They could use what you say against you so you need a written record of communications.

My tax code was correct for my last pay day (26th of April) if that is of any help?

Hi Stuart,

If this is the first time they got your tax code right, it is in the new current tax year (2014/15) that started on 6th April 2014.

I therefore assume that the tax code was not corrected during the last tax year (2013/14). In that case, you will need to complete a tax return for the y/e 5/4/2014 to see if you overpaid tax while on an emergency tax code.

However, you still need to resolve the issue about when you ceased being self employed and whether there are tax returns that need to be submitted. Until this is resolved, HMRC will not refund any tax overpaid during 2013/14.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

You're welcome.

Please come back and let us know how this works out for you. This will help others who find themselves in a similar position.