style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm wondering where I stand with RLP. In Tesco myself and a friend were taken to the holding room by Tesco security for concealing items. We are both 20.

We were told that only I would receive a fine as the items (adding up to around £15) were only in my bag, and not my friend's as well. However today (almost 3 weeks later) we have both received a fine letter adding up to £188.75, even though Tesco told us my friend wouldn't have one, and gave their word that she wouldn't because she was just an associate.

On the day of the incident, Tesco called the police in but they decided not to prosecute us or give us a criminal record or anything on our CRB/DBS because we have never done it before, and we are not wanted by the police for anything else. Tesco decided that we couldn't pay for the items on the day and that I would instead receive a fine from RLP.

Does anyone have a similar experience or can they tell me if the police can be involved again seeing as they've already been called? Has this gone from a criminal to a civil issue now or is there still the possibility of being arrested for this incident or having a mark on my CRB?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I confessed to concealing the items as we had been seen on CCTV and my friend confessed to knowing I had done it/being an associate. There is no breakdown on the letter for what the £188.75 fine is for, i.e. security time, damaged goods, etc.

Edited by laurene23

Hi laurene23

Welcome to CAG

What you've received is a speculative invoice, it's not a fine. As you state there is no breakdown on the invoice. It is very unlike that the police will be involved again. The only time RLP took people to court, they lost. RLP will continue sending their speculative invoices threatening all sorts, when they do just update your thread with what has been sent. There are quite a few threads on RLP, they are worth reading. It's always better to pay for items for obvious reasons.

Hi and welcome to CAG

As advised, please read about RLP and their tactics. As you are over 18 you have two choices.

1 Send a one liner denying any responsibility to RLP

2 Ignore.

Your friend should do the same.

RLP can do nothing to you apart from sending ever more threatening letters and when they fail to 'encourage' you to pay this 'fine' (also known as a Speculative Invoice) They pass the 'debt' (which it isn't) to a debt collector (probably Scotcall) who will also send these oh-so-threatening letters but they are nothing of the sort. They can do nothing either.

Only the store can take action. They don't (as yet).

The only other bit of advice I can give is "Don't do it again!"

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Yep. Jackie and co will harass you with letters where in each one she gets increasingly desperate.

Then she throws a tantrum and threatens to get a dca involved. Thid dca has no legal authority just like rlp and you can happily ignore them or simply tell them they have been reported for harassment

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I've read through some of the other threads but decided to post my own because no one else said the police had been called into the store to talk to them.

My worry is more than anything, is it likely Tesco will take it further because they're a massive company and can afford to take it to court? Have they done this before? And if so, how much money have the offenders had to pay to them?

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me. If Tesco take me to court will it come up as a criminal record on my CRB/DBS?

Thanks everyone

Tesco wont do anything. Stop worrying. If they were going to do something, they would already have done so, and not let RLP get involved. Your issue is no different to anyone elses. As far as tesco are concerned now, you dont exist.

Have a read of the forum. Youll find many threads similar to yours.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi laurene

I've read through some of the other threads but decided to post my own because no one else said the police had been called into the store to talk to them. Good

My worry is more than anything, is it likely Tesco will take it further because they're a massive company and can afford to take it to court? Yes they can afford too, but more important to them is their corporate image, that's why they engage RLP, who can do very little other then send out speculative invoices.

Have they done this before? Not that we are aware of. And if so, how much money have the offenders had to pay to them? Again, nothing as far as we no.

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me. If Tesco take me to court will it come up as a criminal record on my CRB/DBS? It is very, very unlikely.

Thanks everyone

Some threads concentrate on RLP and less on whether police were involved or not. In your case, the police were involved and decided to take no further action therefore, their involvement is at an end-completely. They cannot get involved at a later date.

The 'Oxford' case was very relevant for retailers after 'a retailer' (can't name them) and RLP got a metaphorical slapping in the court over their 'losses' (of which there was none claimable)

Since that case which was in early 2012 (apart from two other cases already in the system) no retailer has taken court action against shoplifters. The last case listed on the RLP website is July 2012.

IF RLP were so sure of their case, why are they not advising stores to sue?

1 As with all cases, there is never a guarantee they will win

2 If they win a fully defended claim, the amount 'won' would be outstripped by the cost of taking the claim to court as it would be a small claims case.

3 With the Oxford case, if the retailer was so sure of themselves, why did they ask for anonymity in the court? Reputation?

RLP base their demands purely on peoples lack of knowledge in the hope that they will capitulate to their silly demands. Once people know their rights, RLP will find it harder and harder to make a profit which can only be a good thing (in my opinion)

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Did you try and leave the store before being pulled by security?

Did you pass the last point of payment?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

They cant do anything at all. They will try and say they can, but all jackie does is shout and scream, then run back under her rock.

Regarding your question, you are 100% correct with what you say. She will try and get a silly DCA called scotcall involved, but you can tell them in any way you like to F.O.

This will drag on for a while but once you see the letters for what they actually are-all bluff and bluster-you can rest easy knowing there is nothing they can do to you.

The only people who 'could' are Tesco but they don't. They pass the responsibility onto this silly company who spend very little time on it by sending out template letters with the odd exception of a personalised one.

As for Scotcall, yes, they are a debt collector but they are chasing an amount that does not exist. It only exists if a judge says it does but as I have already said, Tesco don't do court.

A simple 'do one' is enough for them

Thanks for all the help and info. I keep reading through the other threads and everyone has always said the same thing.

It says on my letter from RLP that if I don't pay within 21 days I will go to court. Is this just an empty threat? And has anyone actually ignored RLP and made an account of what happened on here? Thanks

You can keep asking the questions, the guys have given you 'chapter and verse' on the matter.

Thanks for all the help and info. I keep reading through the other threads and everyone has always said the same thing.

It says on my letter from RLP that if I don't pay within 21 days I will go to court -

. Is this just an empty threat? And has anyone actually ignored RLP and made an account of what happened on here? Thanks

How can RLP say that if you don't pay it will go to court. They have no say in the matter. They can recommend that Tesco take action but cannot force them.

As mentioned previously, Tesco do not do court! It is the text of the letters that are designed (purposely) to instill uncertainty and possibly fear. Once you see them for what they really are, you suddenly feel more relaxed. Strange huh!

When you get some more letters, post them up in pdf format and we can all have a laugh.

Everyone ignores RLP and no-one gets taken to court because it is just a BIG LIE. RLP have no part in any criminal or civil action that may be taken so when they say pay up or else they are relying on your fear or ignorance to gain money by deception. They are the ones that should be in court but that wont happen either.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know how many letters RLP typically send?

How long is a piece of string? Nobody knows. RLP may send 3 or 4 or they may send more. It just depends on how they feel on any particular day.

I have seen where the whole process of threat-o-grams from RLP and the pet DCA go on for about 1 year. Yes they are persistent but they do not have any power.

They will send 4-5 letters over the course of a few months. Each one getting more desperate in tone and increasingly long, filled with complete rubbish. Jackie will then give up and send it to her pet DCA, who, after you sending them 1 simple letter, run off. You never hear from them again after that.

The letters used to go on for much longer but she's probably realised that she's on a pointless trek after a few months of the person not responding.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I've received a few more letters threatening the same things but now they're saying they are going to pass it on to a debt collector.

Is the debt collector likely to come to my house or will they just send letters? Also, has RLP sold this case to them so they are going to desperately try to get this money back or is it still RLPs case? I'm worried if they will show up when I'm home alone.

SOLD???? ha ha ha.

Debt collectors that RLP use are first of all another desk in their office and then they use one of the lower doorstep people who will write to you to say they are calling on such and such a time and to contact them. that is only to embarrass you into paying up.

No-one in their right mind would buy this debt as it doesnt exist so no, they havent sold it on.

read post #4

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

As this is a non - debt, no DCA would ever buy it. RLP pass it on probably as a no win no fee case so the DCA take all the risk without a guarantee of getting paid.

They would be throwing good money after bad if they employed a doorstep caller which is why you are very unlikely to bother with sending anyone and rely on the cheapo method- sending letters.

IF, on the slightest chance a DCA did try and call on you (as I said, highly unlikely) just laugh at them as they are just wasting their time. They can do nothing whatsoever to you-ever!

Thank you for putting my mind at rest :-) I've never dealt with anything like this so I apologise for asking questions already on the site, I understand it probably gets frustrating. Can ,I ask how you all know this? Is it through personal experiences?

The personal experiences written about on other threads just like yours.