• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

uni of westminster/Hadfield Claimform - old uni fees

westmin92
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Apoligies if I am going about this in the wrong way.

On the 14th April I received a county claim form from Hadfield & Townsend solicitors on behalf of the university of westminster for fees owed of £1225 including interest £1507

Now I had a previous dispute with the university re money they owed me equating to £900. As a result of me paying fees and never receiving marks I have disputed this for nearly 2 years now.

I plan on defending the ccj in full and counter flaiming for the £900

My questions are

- What do you think the likely hood is that I will win my case based on the fact their is a previous dispute where they in fact owe me money

- The university have been un un coperative not responding, having to be chased for answers. I have most email trails

- The solicitors acting on behalf of the uni did not issue me with a default notice letter they merely sent a letter stating if payment was not received within 7 days legal procedings would start agaisnt me

- The university never told me they were transferring my account to sta I just started receving calls

- In the claim they did not provide evidence or a copy of my cca

Any body that can help me I will be eternally grateful this whole saga has dragged out

Just to clarify;

Do they have any claim for the £1225 (or at least the £325 remaining if they owe you £900)?

If so, you can offer at best a partial defence, in that you only owe them the £325 (and interest).

If so, why did you not pay them the £325, and then they'd say "you owe us £900", to which your reply could be "no I don't as it is offset by the £900 you owe me".

Or is it the case that you owe them nothing and they owe you £900, where a full defence and counterclaim will be the way forward?

Why do they say you owe them £1225?

If you feel you don't owe them even £325 of the £1225 : why do you feel you don't owe them it?

Hello BazzaS,

I suppose in actual fact yes I would owe them £325, however the uni is not being very co operative with my intial dispute re the £900 owed to me.

I had disputed this fact long before they issued me with the claim, however they have ignored this fact and just pursued me for the £1225 (plus interest)

I would be more than willing to pay the £325 but the uni has not said whether this would be an option and are dragging their feet.

If I admit part of the claim (thats if the judge accepts it) I may still get a ccj if not paid within 28 days

Do you think I have a leg to stand on?

What would you advise I put in my defence

The £900 I am claiming for is for a previous academic year 2011/2012 where I paid for tuition fees snd never received my module grades

They are claiming fortuition fees from the year 2012/2013 however I specfically said I was not willing to pay any more money until A full investigation had been done to unearth why I never received module grades for 2011/2012 I have this in writing.

The university simply ignored me did nothing and 2 years later my grades are still outstanding.

Hope that clarifys

If you can't dispute you owe them something, you can't win outright.

Pay them the £325. It is what you should have done before.

It doesn't matter that they haven't said you could do so : if they refused the payment it would look bad for them if/when they came after you for the £900 (& they may then have decided not to come after you!)

By not paying anything (since you don't dispute you owe them £325), you've opened the door for them to commence an action that you can't fully defend : the most you can do is argue you owe them £325, not £1225.

can you suggest any way I can lay this out most defence replies I have seen are not in layman terms and refer to different clauses.

Also will I be liable to pay the interest and solicitors fees, as I am not willing to do so

Additionally, you mention the lack of CCA / default notice.

Did you sign a consumer credit agreement?.

If not, the CCA is irrelevant. They are invoicing you for the service (tuition) they supplied. Similarly, they then don't need to send you a default notice.

They've sent you an invoice, the invoice was unpaid, they've sent you a letter before action (LBA).

At that point you should have paid the non-disputed £325, and then let them whistle for the rest.

Ok I see, despite the fact I had a unresolved dispute with them. My whole argument was I had paid for a service and not received the end result

I do not recall signing an credit agreement for uni

Many Thanks for your help

Did you receive the service they charged you £1225 for?

If not, defend it.

If you don't dispute they can charge you £1225 then less the £900 they owe you : you still owe them £325

You can't use "there is a dispute" to not pay the undisputed £325, only to not pay the disputed £900.

Hello,

Yes I acknowleged the claim previously but choose to defend in full and counter claim.

Do you have any views or opnions on what I could do?

Also if I have already said I plan to defend in full and counter claim in the Aos can I now change it to part defence?

Thanks

I made it saturday?

I have had a bereavement in my family that is why it was put on the back burner 33 days from the 14th is the 17th of may?

I am only posting a holding defence now pending the time my case is transferred to a local court

Thank you for your help

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Simply add 33 days to the date on the N1 claim form + 1 day for good Friday...that is your submission date...but you can submit now.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks Andy

Can someone give me sone advice on what they think of the intial defence below?

I XXX make this statement as my defence brought by Hadfield & Co Solicitors on behalf of the claimant “University of Westminster”

No documents supporting the claim in the particulars have been provided, instead reference is made to invoices provided nearly two years ago dating from 08/10/2012-22/10/2012. The invoices I have in my possession that pertain to these dates merely give an overall amount of what is owed and does not itemise the invoice according to modules taken and cost of individual modules. I therefore request for an itemised invoice which has been broken down by module, detailing costs, so I may admit to or deny this claim or part of it.

The particulars of the claim does not make reference to or bring attention to the fact that there is a prior outstanding dispute that I the defendant currently have with the university of Westminster regarding money that is owed to myself in relation to module fees that have been paid in full for the Academic year 2011/2012 equating to £900 however module grades were never received. The module code in question is BKE402. This dispute dates back to 2012, every effort has been made by myself the defendant to mediate with the University and its representatives in order to resolve the matter however to no avail. Discussions are still being had to date. I have documentary evidence to support this statement. I the defendant contend that this is a clear abuse of process as the claimant is claiming for monies which it is not entitled to and knows that this is the case. If it is deemed that I the defendant am liable to pay part of the claim minus the monies I am owed by the university I would be willing to do so, however without this dispute being resolved I can neither admit or deny owing the claimant monies.

The claimant in particulars sections 2 & 3 makes reference to the fact that interest and statutory interest should be applied to the amount claimed. I the defendant question if a.) this is lawful as the amount claimed is under £5000 and b.) Is it appropriate for the claimant to add interest to this dated claim in light of the fact they are also responsible for the length of time it has taken to resolve it by not resolving the initial dispute the defendant brought before them prior?

I the defendant contend the legalities of the claim as best to my knowledge a default notice was never received and copies of the original Credit Consumer Agreement were not provided by the claimant. This to best of my knowledge and current understanding deviates away from process.

Without clarification of the points raised above I the defendant am extremely disadvantaged and the claimants claim appears to be with out merit.

I XXX believe the above statement to be true and factual to the best of my knowledge

XXX

15th May 2014

Edited by westmin92
personal data disclosed

If you type out their particulars of claim (verbatim) less any identifiable date then we have something to check your defence to?

Hi guys please particulars of claim as verbatim below. Once again thank you

The claimant claims 1225.00 in respect of 1. University Tuition provided by the claimant at the defendents request, full particulars whereof having been supplied by way of claimants invoice dated 08 October 2012 to 22 October 2012

2. The claimant claims the further sum of 137.13 pursuant to S.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8.00% from the date on which the invoice(s) were due to date.

3. The Claimant also claims statutory interest at the above daily rate of 0.27 from the date hereof to payment or Judgement whichever is the sooner

4 Costs

So they wish to claim section 69 and statuary interest.......one or the other not both.

Have a look at this tomorrow for you westmin....getting a tad late now.

Andy

What date is your defence due to be submitted westmin?

May be prudent to post a copy here so we can look and offer further advice as the claim proceeds.(obscure any identifiable data)

Regards

Andy