[problem]mers cashing-in on Green Deal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Government’s flagship energy efficiency scheme is at risk of being undermined by [problem]mers trying to make a quick buck, reveals new evidence from Citizens Advice.

Seven in 10 consumer queries to Citizens Advice about Green Deal are about [problem]s.

More than half of people caught out by these [problem]s are contacted out of the blue, either over the phone or by door to door sales, and offered thousands of pounds worth of home improvements for free.

Citizens Advice wants to see a ban on cold calling and doorstep selling of Green Deal to protect consumers from fake firms.

New analysis from Citizens Advice finds people are losing up to £500 after paying a fee for an assessment that never goes ahead or, if it does, the company then doesn’t get in touch to do the work.

In some cases people are asked to provide their bank details for the assessment fee to be refunded only to find more money is taken from their account without their permission.

Under the actual Green Deal system you may be asked to pay an assessment fee but any costs should be explained and a Green Deal Advice Report provided after the assessment.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/pressoffice/press_index/press_20140424.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I was called the other day by my Mother who lives alone to say she'd just paid £299 upfront by cheque to a company called Tivium who were going to assess her house and get her a free Green Deal boiler. Alarm bells rang immediately as they said she didn't need to be on benefits. Subsequent checks online revealed lots of other Tivium 'customers' so I went back and told her to contact her bank in the morning. It appears the cheque had been cleared from her account two days after she handed it over, that's what I call express clearance. My Brother rang the Tivium voicemail system which keeps you running around in circles and eventually spoke to someone who said they couldn't cancel the appointment but we needed to cancel when the assessor called on the day.

Checked the Department of Environment and Climate Change government website and they're not even registered as assessors, let alone installers. Yet they have registered a company called 'Tivium Green Deal Installers Ltd'.

A warning to others,

Regards,

Jason Arthurs.

Hi Jason

You should complain to Trading Standards.

Green Deal Assessments are available for between £99 - £149 from authorised companies.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Also write a letter to the company, explain that your mum has been mislead by them and that they have 14 days to return the monies or you will take legal action.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/supply-of-goods-and-services-act-1982

I was called the other day by my Mother who lives alone to say she'd just paid £299 upfront by cheque to a company called Tivium who were going to assess her house and get her a free Green Deal boiler. Alarm bells rang immediately as they said she didn't need to be on benefits. Subsequent checks online revealed lots of other Tivium 'customers' so I went back and told her to contact her bank in the morning. It appears the cheque had been cleared from her account two days after she handed it over, that's what I call express clearance. My Brother rang the Tivium voicemail system which keeps you running around in circles and eventually spoke to someone who said they couldn't cancel the appointment but we needed to cancel when the assessor called on the day.

Checked the Department of Environment and Climate Change government website and they're not even registered as assessors, let alone installers. Yet they have registered a company called 'Tivium Green Deal Installers Ltd'.

A warning to others,

Regards,

Jason Arthurs.

The guarantees offered by green deal providers is also very basic when it comes to cavity wall and solid wall insulation.

I have problems with Energycare Group of Haynes in Bedfordshire, Very poor survey, appalling workmanship and damage to property.

The correct procedure would be to go through SIGA and SWIGA who operate out of the same address. I tried this route and after phoning was tol to put the complaint in writing, which I did on 1st April. By the end of April they still couldn't confirm they had the complaint and was asked to send in ane-mail. Still no response, another e-mail and no response. 14 phone calls half of which no one available, in a meeting, not at desk etc and the rest promising a return call none of which happened. CIGA and SWIGA are funded through the Green Deal Providers and despite their code of practice stating the installers must protect customers property at all times.

The 25 year guarantee for the cavity wall insulation took 6 months to arrive but happens to be backed not by SIGA/SWIGA but through the BBA and has the convenient "get out clause" that "The guarantee is not valid if the installation has been altered or disturbed after the installation was complete"

So if you have solid wall insulation and then later, for instance have to have new windows, then the guarantee is not valid.

After 4 attemts to contact BBA, simply told ther is an online form to fill in.

Then found the Green Deal scheme has an ombudsman so gave them a try only to be told my grant was under the ECO scheme. Told to try the Energy Savings Advice Service as it was an ECO grant but they only refered me back to the SWIGA route.

Unfortunately, because of poor eyesight I was conned into signing the job off on the say so of an inspection by the supervisor and of course the job was not to even a basic standard. After many return visits by them much of the work has been rectified but they wont accept responsability for the damage to property so it looks like county court action now.

• 3 weeks later...

A warning to others,

Regards,

Jason Arthurs.

Hi James,

Did you manage to get a refund? I subsequently had a phone call from this company and the representative was extremely forceful, rude and pushy and made me feel like I would be a fool not to agree to an initial visit. I was in a very vulnerable position at the time and felt extremely bullied by the caller. I agreed to the visit in which the rep completely misinformed me about the scheme. The initial visit was on 29th May 2014 and I too handed them a cheque for £299 which I was told wouldn't be cashed until the assessor was due to visit. This was an absolute bare faced lie as it was cleared from my account 4th June 2014 and the assessor was not due until 09/06/2014 and also having verbally cancelled to go ahead with the scheme the following day after the visit 30/05/2014 via telephone. I am currently not working so I could really do without this.

I contacted Tivium customer services earlier this week to ask when this refund would be sent as I'd cancelled well within the 7 day cool off period and had still not heard anything from them for 2 weeks. I also mentioned that it was truly dishonest of them to have not made it clear the amount of interest I would be charged during the ridiculous length of time it would take to pay for the boiler and that in actual fact I would be likely to pay nearly 4 times what the boiler was actually worth. I wouldn't have found any of this out until the assessors visit and by that time the 7 day cool off period would be up and I wouldn't have been able to request a refund.

Luckily I researched all I could about this misleading company in time to enable a refund. This is an appalling tactic used to prey on the vulnerable and make a tasty profit of £299 per victim. I had told them I wasn't working and that I couldn't afford the £299 but they made me believe that no interest would be charged on the repayment and that once the full amount was paid back I would then start seeing the benefits. By this time the boiler would be 10-15 years old and I'd probably need a new one by then or more likely I'd have probably sold the property and moved on so I wouldn't see any benefit at all. I since have received a letter today (over two weeks later) stating my refund had been granted (that's nice of them) and that I would be refunded in due course. Due course? And how long is that going to take? I will be calling customer services on Monday to find out just how much longer I will be waiting for the £299 cheque to be sent and to complain yet again about their ruthless sales tactics and misguided customer service.

I am not elderly but I've recently been very ill which has left me pretty vulnerable lately so I do feel for others of an even more vulnerable nature being targeted in the sane way. I intend to report all this to watchdog and I am sure I will not be the only one to do so. I really want the public to be aware of these kind of companies to prevent others from falling victim.

Poppy

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Green Deal/ECO schemes and my last post about Energycare Group and SWIGA. After 3 months I have now found from Energycare that my Guarantee is through Kinnell. This means that the Guarantee is worth over £15,000 less than the SWIGA one, there is no option for the "Alternative Dispute Resolution" and there is no requirement for them to abide by the SWIGA code of conduct.

I contacted Trading Standards and was told to sue for Breach of Contract as I had been told by the surveyor and on a couple more occasions when the work was being done that it was a SWIGA guarantee as on their website, leaflets and vehicles.

My very limited understanding means that a judge would want to put me back into a pre contract position which would be difficult to do (in my opinion).

Does any one know what my options would be? Do I now need to contact a solicitor?

I would welcome any comments.

statch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I am a Domestic Energy Adviser and Green Deal Adviser. Clearly I cannot comment on the above listed cases but for anyone planning to look for a Green Deal Advice Report (GDAR), some advice...

I cannot conduct a GDAR survey without writing to you explaining what I will be doing, my code of conduct, the complaints procedure, the cost of your survey and an outline of Green Deal. I must offer you the opportunity to do your own energy assessment online (although there is no obligation for you to do this). In short, I cannot just knock at your door, take the cash and conduct a survey.

As with anybody entering your home I must show you photographic identification on the doorstep. This is an encapsulated card listing my qualifications. Turn the card over and you will see my Assessor Organisation (the police force of Green Deal - they supply the software and conduct regular audits) this could be Stroma, NES, Elmhurst, Quidos - there are others. There will be an Assessor contact number and my unique ID number. If you are in any doubt, ring the number. A genuine Green Deal Adviser will have no problem with this.

There are some grants for insulation, boilers, windows etc but they depend upon your circumstances, postcode and property. Please beware of anybody offering 'free' before they have surveyed your property, understood your circumstances and energy use patterns.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

My elderly neighbour of 83 was "cold called" by Tivium and led to believe by a sales lady that she could have double glazing fitted and wouldn't have to pay anything other than £299.00 for an assessment which she immediately gave a cheque for. I happened to be with her when the assessor arrived a month later and when I queried this so called Green Deal it was clear that she would have to pay for any works "upfront" so she cancelled the visit immediately. Had she know this in the beginning she would never have agreed to an assessment as she lives on the State Pension and could never afford the outlay. She wrote to Tivium's London registered office asking for a refund but they sent an unsigned letter a couple of weeks later refusing saying it was outside the 14 day cooling off period. She has written again to Tivium Ltd but does not hold out much hope. I have contacted several organizations and our MP to try and find some redress for her but from searching the internet I see that she is not alone in being caught in this [problem]. Surely there must be a way to stop this company operating in such a manner and deceiving other vulnerable people.

• 2 months later...

Earlier this year I was foolish enough to part with £300 to a company called Tivium.

They promised me through the green deal scheme to install a boiler for no more than £1500. This would cost me nothing as it would be paid for by the savings I would make on heating bills. They also promised that all or most of my £300 would be given back by the government when I was approved. This was 8 Months ago. I now found out after realising I have lost my money as well as many other people (just Google Tivium) from the Department of Energy that Tivium is not an approved Green Deal installer or even authorised to carry out surveys. When I approached Tivium recently with this I was told that they just carried out the funding for green deal and that the survey and installation is done by Strome. I called Strome and guess what they do not do this.

What I find amazing is that the company is still being allowed to trade. The Department of Energy tell me they Tivium is not authorised green Deal agent neither are they authorised to carry out assessments. But they carried mine out and I paid them £300. At no point was i told that they were just trying to get me financed. But if they are not green Deal authorised where are they trying to get the money from?

Strome just certify companies for Green Deal and nothing more.

Trading standards I am told are aware but DO NOTHING. Department of Energy know and DO NOTHING...

So who is it down to? Us, the people that have been ripped off and and and stop other people from being ripped off. By the way just in case anyone can trace these people who have dealings with Tivium.

JONATHAN MATTHEWS

Information from appointment at TIVIUM LIMITED

Address

ANDREW MATTHEWS METROPOLITAN HOUSE LONGRIGG ROAD

SWALWELL

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

UNITED KINGDOM

NE16 3AS

Hi abaldaa

Green Deal is a total mess, it allows a lot of misunderstandings and mis- representations to go on. It is very complex.

How did you pay?

Earlier this year I was foolish enough to part with £300 to a company called Tivium.

They promised me through the green deal scheme to install a boiler for no more than £1500. This would cost me nothing as it would be paid for by the savings I would make on heating bills. They also promised that all or most of my £300 would be given back by the government when I was approved. This was 8 Months ago. I now found out after realising I have lost my money as well as many other people (just Google Tivium) from the Department of Energy that Tivium is not an approved Green Deal installer or even authorised to carry out surveys. When I approached Tivium recently with this I was told that they just carried out the funding for green deal and that the survey and installation is done by Strome. I called Strome and guess what they do not do this.

What I find amazing is that the company is still being allowed to trade. The Department of Energy tell me they Tivium is not authorised green Deal agent neither are they authorised to carry out assessments. But they carried mine out and I paid them £300. At no point was i told that they were just trying to get me financed. But if they are not green Deal authorised where are they trying to get the money from?

Strome just certify companies for Green Deal and nothing more.

Trading standards I am told are aware but DO NOTHING. Department of Energy know and DO NOTHING...

So who is it down to? Us, the people that have been ripped off and and and stop other people from being ripped off. By the way just in case anyone can trace these people who have dealings with Tivium.

JONATHAN MATTHEWS

Information from appointment at TIVIUM LIMITED

Address

ANDREW MATTHEWS METROPOLITAN HOUSE LONGRIGG ROAD

SWALWELL

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

UNITED KINGDOM

NE16 3AS

Hi

I paid by cheque. Was cashed the day after i gave it them...

The representative totally mislead me. It was deliberate. I have contacted Tivium on many occasions and all they can say is that they are waiting for funding... Even last time 2 weeks ago they told me that still waiting for funding. But if they are not authorised by the department of Energy and are not part of the scheme one has to ask where the money is coming from. As I said in my last post. They told me the assosors who came to me were from Strom and that they would be installing my boiler. But I have not spoken to Strom who deny any connections with Tivium.

As I said if you Google the name Tivium I am not alone with what they are doing and to me it's as plain as the nose on my face... they simple got money by misrepresenting what they would deliver... which for me and many others appears to be nothing. Maybe the very few they have managed to help have been funded by the money they have collected from people like me who have not had anything done.

My surprise is that No one with any power is interested and are happy to see this go on for more people to be scammed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-28164739

http://conversation.which.co.uk/energy-home/oft-save-energy-efficiency-products-wise-up/

Hi

I paid by cheque. Was cashed the day after i gave it them...

The representative totally mislead me. It was deliberate. I have contacted Tivium on many occasions and all they can say is that they are waiting for funding... Even last time 2 weeks ago they told me that still waiting for funding. But if they are not authorised by the department of Energy and are not part of the scheme one has to ask where the money is coming from. As I said in my last post. They told me the assosors who came to me were from Strom and that they would be installing my boiler. But I have not spoken to Strom who deny any connections with Tivium.

As I said if you Google the name Tivium I am not alone with what they are doing and to me it's as plain as the nose on my face... they simple got money by misrepresenting what they would deliver... which for me and many others appears to be nothing. Maybe the very few they have managed to help have been funded by the money they have collected from people like me who have not had anything done.

My surprise is that No one with any power is interested and are happy to see this go on for more people to be [problem]med.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Tivium. The only way to get your money back is to go through the Small Claims Court. Emails and telephone calls are useless, and complaints to government/watchdog bodies will not help either.

I was outstanding a refund since July, but have recovered my £299 refund plus court costs by using the Small Claims Court. So far as I can see, this is the ONLY WAY to recover monies owed. Be aware that Tivium takes the process right to the wire, therefore you have to be prepared to lay out the court fees (£25 initial fee plus £70 for a warrant when done on line).Tivium never seem to defend claims, therefore it is a straightforward process to secure judgment in your favour.

Good luck to everyone trying to obtain refunds, but don't bother trying to reason with Tivium - it is a waste of time.

Neil