• Tweets

• Back to octopus from the smart meter/tariff salesperson. Octopus have now said just ignore the letter - I dont have to have one despite there letter implying (at least) it was required, but that i will HAVE to have a smart meter if current meters stop working as 'their suppliers dont supply non smart meters any more'. I am of course going to challenge that. Thats their choice of meter fitter/supplier problem not mine
    • Point taken that we should inform new Caggers that the £20 option is there in wrong registration cases.  Well, supposedly there, who knows what the PPCs would do in practice.  Anyway, the option is allegedly there with both the BPA as you say, but also the IPC (I've just checked). However, there's a danger here of baby, bathwater. The two easiest types of cases to win are (a) residential - due to Supremacy of Contract and (b) wrong registration - due to "de minimis".  Indeed until recently we has been boasting that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing. We simply can do nothing about a terrible judge.  The judge seems - I say seems because we haven't had all the details - to have ignored "de minimis",. got fixated on a sign and awarded unreasonable behaviour costs.  A totally bizarre judgement.
    • You mean your witness statement 
    • That may be your personal claimed experience I said i didn't want smart meters - you jumped in to recommend smart meters I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest paying what I owe every month I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest a variable tariff - even if its one that only varies on a daily basis rather than half/hourly - with prices higher in winter when you need it and lowest in summer when you need it least   politeness ends with: - I'm NOT interested in any smart tariff I see, You are pushing your smart meter + variable tariffs in the wrong place - try pushing them somewhere 'nearer to home'  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Experian "misselling" of ID theft insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When they make so much money out of storting and selling my data.. I think they have a damn cheek asking me to pay to check that their records are accurate..

They can't even get that right. Ask brig and dx I had issues with them over a default that randomly appeared over night. I used experian to manage where I owed money, when this default appeared it became delinquent as experian should of had it on my file 2 years earlier. The ICO agreed they breached DPA about keeping records up to date.

This insurance thing doesn't surprise me as they ain't exactly a good company

Can you SAR Experian and Equifax to find out account details re: how many payments I've made to these companies? I've been on and off with both for years and will undoubtedly have paid for insurance without knowing it.BSBS.

It Can be done, I have done so and the data received was no more than that visible historically on a normal personal search.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Is ID theft as serious as what the CRAs make it out to be? BTW if you just want a simple £2 credit score report, it is not easy to find the correct link as I found out the other day as it kept trying to make me agree to take out a subscription.

Is ID theft as serious as what the CRAs make it out to be? BTW if you just want a simple £2 credit score report, it is not easy to find the correct link as I found out the other day as it kept trying to make me agree to take out a subscription.

ID theft I a very big concern nationally and internationally and cannot be dismissed, but I do not believe it is fair to impose this type of insurance on users of the CRA.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest funforus

Well, I wrote when all this was first reported and received a reply a few days ago telling me that no element of my 'subscription' was applied to insurance . . . yet others, as copy email above shows, were told that the insurance was compulsory. Makes you wonder whether these are the kind of people that should have any influence in the financial services industry at all!

Edited by funforus
Spelling!

I've been Experian customer since 2008 and never knew I was paying for ID insurance until I read this article and actually asked them to confirm I was paying premiums. This is what they told me:-

Our records indicate that the monthly fee that your of £9.99 include Identity Fraud Expenses Insurance. The Identity Fraud Expenses Insurance is a mandatory element of the overall CreditExpert service.

If you do not wish to have the insurance policy, you will be unable to take advantage of the CreditExpert service.

I thought all along I was paying for accessing my credit report only since I've never asked for ID insurance and wasn't told it was part of the package when I signed up.

The reason some pay £14.99 and some £9.99 is that when Experian changed their subscription pricing, they included all benefits for current members for the £9.99 price. All new members (who signed up after the price increase) are charged £14.99. This was what Experian explained when I questioned the price increase at the time.

I've been using Credit Expert on and off for years now and received the same respsonse when I queried the insurance as I didn't want it.

Personally, I don't think anyone should have to pay to view info on themselves.

Have £20k+ in debt, seriously want to be debt free, currently in temporary accomodation and having business problems.

I've been using Credit Expert on and off for years now and received the same respsonse when I queried the insurance as I didn't want it.

Personally, I don't think anyone should have to pay to view info on themselves.

Perhaps long term users who have had their subs hiked should flood the company with formal complaints.

These people have invented a whole industry out of thin air, they created a database of peoples personal details, rely solely on the individual to keep them updated and charge the same individual if they wish to know what data they have, yet dance around when an individual finds fault with the contents of "their" credit record, citing all sorts of quasi legal obstacles. They are also funded by the major financial organisations, so they are earning from both sides of the fence.

Whilst I appreciate that people who loan money, or manage risk should be allowed a gauge against which to measure any application, I think their existence is incestuous, and disingenuous, this application of unwanted and unwarranted insurance is just another example of the manner in which these organisations operate.

CRA's are a relatively new animal, they didn't exist in the 60's and 70's and banks existed and operated perfectly well, I see them as just another way to fleece the sheep.

What I can't get my head around is them keeping information that is not in the public domain. CCJ are fair enough but why do they keep records of Defaults and searches which have never been in the public domain. Searches is a big bug bear ass sometimes oen has to do several searches to get tghe best rate however the searches count against you. Surely this should be illegal?

What I can't get my head around is them keeping information that is not in the public domain. CCJ are fair enough but why do they keep records of Defaults and searches which have never been in the public domain. Searches is a big bug bear ass sometimes oen has to do several searches to get tghe best rate however the searches count against you. Surely this should be illegal?

Unfortunately we the "borrowing" public make the collection of such data "lawful" by a signing an agreement which quite clearly states that we understand that and agree to the creditor/ provider/trader " SHARING OUR DATA WITH 3rd PARTIES " including credit reference agencies.

Refusal to sign = no credit/phone account etc.!!

Unfortunately we the "borrowing" public make the collection of such data "lawful" by a signing an agreement which quite clearly states that we understand that and agree to the creditor/ provider/trader " SHARING OUR DATA WITH 3rd PARTIES " including credit reference agencies.

Refusal to sign = no credit/phone account etc.!!

So basically our data can be passed onto any and every one?

So basically our data can be passed onto any and every one?

YES and it follows that a 3rd party will share data with other companies it is connected with.

YES and it follows that a 3rd party will share data with other companies it is connected with.

Presumably the data can only be used for the purpose that it was provided. There will be a clause allowing the company to share data with a credit reference agency but not to share it or allow access to it for any reason not listed in the contract.

Likewise when authorising a search, the search would be for specific data for a specific reason, not a trawl through the credit file for anything useful that can be sold on.

Presumably the data can only be used for the purpose that it was provided. There will be a clause allowing the company to share data with a credit reference agency but not to share it or allow access to it for any reason not listed in the contract.

Likewise when authorising a search, the search would be for specific data for a specific reason, not a trawl through the credit file for anything useful that can be sold on.

Looking at some agreements today I see " you agree that we can share your data with other companies for the purposes of marketing research, prevention of fraud etc., etc.

I am afraid it is not that simple the CRAs supply data to numerous entities both businesses and public authorities.

Looking at some agreements today I see " you agree that we can share your data with other companies for the purposes of marketing research, prevention of fraud etc., etc.

I am afraid it is not that simple the CRAs supply data to numerous entities both businesses and public authorities.

We agree that data can be shared with CRAs for specific purposes.

Presumably the CRA is storing data on behalf of the company that we supply data to and would be responsible for ensuring that the data is only used for the purposes that it was provided for, and only the relevant data is disclosed, depending on the purpose that the searching company intends to use it for.

IMHO the CRAs are being too simplistic in the way that they receive, store & share our data & don't take into account the usage as supplied or as searched for. They just share all data with anyone without regard to why data was supplied and what permissions were allowed in the contract for its use

We agree that data can be shared with CRAs for specific purposes.

Presumably the CRA is storing data on behalf of the company that we supply data to and would be responsible for ensuring that the data is only used for the purposes that it was provided for, and only the relevant data is disclosed, depending on the purpose that the searching company intends to use it for.

IMHO the CRAs are being too simplistic in the way that they receive, store & share our data & don't take into account the usage as supplied or as searched for. They just share all data with anyone without regard to why data was supplied and what permissions were allowed in the contract for its use

It is more to the point to look at the phrase "and other third parties etc." for where data is sold or placed.

• 1 month later...

its worthy to note

that this ID protection came in on 29/12/2012

many people were on £6.99

it went upto £9.99

so its from that date fwd.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

by email:Sat 29/12/2012 02:42

newemail-logos.png

As a valued customer, you'll be getting an exclusive new membership package.

Shhh. It's not available to our new customers.

We're adding some great new benefits to your membership.

You will soon be able to see your Experian Credit Score whenever you like and see what is affecting it.

You'll also get increased awareness of any possible online identity fraud against you.

All this, for a new monthly membership fee of £9.99.

Here's a summary of all the features and benefits of your NEW exclusive membership:

NEW! Unlimited access to your Experian Credit Score whenever you want it.

NEW! A clear view of the factors affecting your Experian Credit Score, and a view of how it changes over time.

NEW! We can search for your data on the web, including social networks.

We will then alert you if your information is found where it possibly shouldn't be, with our Web Monitoring service.

Customer service support including dedicated help if you are ever a victim of fraud.

See a range of credit cards and loans that you may be eligible for, based on your Experian Credit Score.

Unlimited access to your Experian Credit Report.

Weekly alerts when there are changes to your Experian Credit Report.

Important information about the changes to your membership:

We will be upgrading your membership in 30 days from now*.

Following the upgrade, your new membership price will be £9.99 per month.

Your payment date will remain unchanged.

As a result of these updates, the

terms and conditions of your CreditExpert membership have changed, and the privacy policy has been updated.

If you do not want us to send you Web Monitoring alerts if we find your details where you wouldn't expect them to be,

you can opt out of this particular feature.

You will still be charged £9.99 per month for your new membership,

which will include all of the other above benefits.

If you have any questions about these changes to your account,

please feel free to contact our dedicated Credit Experts.

This email address is not monitored, so please use the address

[email protected] if you want to email us.

Many thanks

The Experian team

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...