style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I noticed on this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?423050-Windows-XP-support

comments about AVG as I have AVG internet security and tune up and when I turn my pc on it takes at least 20 minutes before I get complete control back over my PC and although I am told the pc has low memory (37GB disk and 2.8GB left) I would have thought that enough to use the pc reasonably easily.

I am not in any way shape or form a 'techi' - I turn my pc on and hope it'll keep going like my Mrs samsung galaxy which kicks into life immediately you turn it on.

When that little triangle kicks-in to the AVG logo down in the r/h corner tool bar when I boot up I go into slow down mode - is this common as it drives me mad?

I also use Firefox and it just won't load up until this triangle vanishes.

Would I be better off with these other AV softwares you quote? I've paid for both these AVG softwares so I'd rather not have wasted money of course as I've only recently done this.

Now I keep everything I have on a separate drive commonly referred to as the C:/ drive. The PC drive is E:/ and I store everything on C except of course the programs.

I also have the old version of Outlook Express which sits with probably over 7-8000 emails, many with pdf files attached, I gathered when fighting since 2006 with our Cabot Fan Club. I periodically delete many, but I do go back and refer to some and I still need certain things, but can anyone tell me if these (I feel daft asking this because I think I know what people might say, but hey-ho - I'm no techi as I said) actually sit in my E drive on the PC or are they stored in some mega store warehouse server of MS as I was previously under the impression they were, which would slow down considerably the pc and take up all that 30 odd GB's that seem to be sitting somewhere on the drive??

Any idea's?

Thanks

A1

How much RAM does your machine have, this may well be a cause of slow start up.

Failing that there are various tune up utilities that help speed things up

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

How much RAM does your machine have, this may well be a cause of slow start up.

Failing that there are various tune up utilities that help speed things up

Thanks Fletch

It says

XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3

2.99GHz 0.99GB Ram

Intel ® Pentium® DCPU 3.00GHz

That make sense?

a1

You need an upgrade.

For example the pc I'm typing this on now has 8gb ram and runs at 3.8ghz. It's fairly modern.

However the free option would be to squeeze what you already have to get more speed out of it.

here is 3 things to try.

--------------------------------------------

Go to control panel, add remove programs and clear the hard drive up by removing stuff you no longer use.

------------------------------------------------

Click start menu, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup and follow the options

------------------------------------------------------------

Click the start menu -> run and type msconfig Hit enter.

Click the startup tab and carefully go through the list unchecking all the stuff you don't want or need. If your unsure Google the program name.

Also look in the services tab, check the hide microsoft services box and again carefully go through the list and uncheck what you don't need or use. Google anything you are unsure off. Don't just uncheck blind. Check it out first if your not sure.

Reboot and see if it helped.

If something is missing on reboot go turn it back on by checking the box.

run glary utils one hit wonder button

and stick another 1Gb of RAM in it.

XP and AVG don't sit well together

esp you've always used avg

ideally i'd strip AVG off

there was a time when AVG was hacked

if you've a hidden $AVG folder odds on that's the issue.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks Ash, I'll do that. I have defraged and the normal clean disk options through the AVG Tune-Up software, but I'll do what you suggest and let you know, but yes, I need an upgrade and this old PC is past its sell by date I know....but I only use it for my research stuff and letters etc these days so I need to dump some of these old emails etc. I don't quite understand though (as I explained in my first post) how so much is stored on the main E drive when I store everything on a separate plug in drive (C:/)

Do these emails I have clog this pc drive up? Same with Outlook and Gmail - do they take up memory on the main hard drive? I tend to keep anything that's not junk mail or obviously not required, but there still seems to be high volume of stuff on the hard drive (E:/)

Many thanks for your help.

A1

run glary utils one hit wonder button

and stick another 1Gb of RAM in it.

Hi dx, what precisely is this you ask me to find? As I say, I'm no techi and Ram to me has 4 legs and is furry and says Baa....:oops:

A1

Yes, they will.

Do these emails I have clog this pc drive up? Same with Outlook and Gmail - do they take up memory on the main hard drive? I tend to keep anything that's not junk mail or obviously not required, but there still seems to be high volume of stuff on the hard drive (E:/)

Yes - these will be stored on your machine and could be taking up a considerable amount of memory.

RAM...

In a simplistic way (I hope), there are two types of memory in a computer - hard drive space (your 37gb) and your RAM (1gb).

The hard drive is where you store your pictures, documents, programs etc.

The RAM (Random Access Memory) is what the computer uses to store information temporarily - and is used by programs to store and calculate things quickly. The more of this you have, the more the computer can do at once.

AVG will be using up the RAM to search your computer for viruses etc - once it has finished its searches, it will be freed up for firefox to use. So having more of this should speed things up!

Could put another stick of RAM in it, you would have to make sure that it was the right type, DDR, DDR2 or unlikely DDR3 given the base specs. XP with AVG is an absolute slug with 1Gig RAM

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I'll let you into a secret. I dont use a firewall or AV on my main PC, and ive never had a compromise via virii or malware.

There are many good anti virus and malware software out there, you just need to hunt around for one that suits you. Just remember, install one at a time and test it. Never EVER install 2 as they will conflict and flag each other up as a virus or similar. For instance, on the machine we have at work, we use a hardware firewall and anti virus system, and you should see the logs, to see the mind boggling amount of stuff that tries to get through.

Again, grab a half dozen programs and try them out. Just stay away from everything that is linked to McAfee or Norton.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D