style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm pretty upset with what should I do so I thought you guys might be able to help me out...

Last month I was caught in Tesco with electronic items in my backpack worth of £110,

my details were taken and

the police was called,

afterwards I was not arrested,

because I proved the location where I live at.

I received a letter saying that I need to go to Crown Court next month to plea guilty or not.

I think the best thing to do is to plead guilty,

because I surely believe this was my greatest mistake I've done so far,

and they probably have plenty of CCTV footage.

I am a EU student here in the UK and I have no other offences so far in my life.

I believe I will get away with a caution and worry about if I might get harder punishment than that.

.. On the letter that I've received from the police it says that if I plea guilty as soon as possible

I might get a reduced fine for up to 1/3 of it and

I think I should write a letter to the judge explaining the situation.

If someone has an idea how I should format or structure such a letter it would be of great help...

However, the main thing that about this topic is that

today I've received a letter from Retail Loss Prevention Ltd,

which says I need to pay a total sum of £308.44 for settling this claim against me.

I'm really worried about the amount of money that they request from me,

since I am a not working student here and I live with up to £250-£300 per month.

I don't want to let my parents know about my ridiculous mistake

and I was told by a friend that such agencies do not have the right to request any money legally.

I don't have money for solicitor for an individual advice and tried giving money

to some online solicitor services but without any luck...

It would be of a great help advising me about my situation and

I thank you in advance.

Hi rlss

Welcome to CAG

First thing is to stay calm.

Can you please post all the letters you have received removing all your personal details and reference numbers.

Hello and thanks for the quick reply,

The letter was send from Greater Manchester Police and

it says that I need to appear at the Crown Court in Manchester at a certain time and date next month.

I was told by the kind police officers who drove me back home that I would probably get a caution

for about £200 and that would be it.

I have a MC100 form attached to the same letter where I need to state my income and outgoings

and carry it over to the court with me.

Yes, please post them on this thread. If you could convert your images to pdf format, and try to keep the file size around 1-2 mb then you shouldnt have any problems. Do make sure you edit out any personal information or court references.

The information below should help..

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

Scan the requiredletters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all personal info including barcodes etc. using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

Go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new message box here

hit go advanced below the message box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB: you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

Then hit reply button

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

An S.O.S has also been sent for further advice .. I am sure someone will be along soon, if not this evening, then certainly over the weekend.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What do you mean with an S.O.S has been sent?

Sent where?

I'm trying to stay calm but it's a bit upsetting the fact that I need to go to courts

and be sued for my stupid behaviour...

However, I'm attaching an archive with all the pages from the police and the rlp letter.

you for your help again. (btw, I've changed the attachment once and it says it needs approval)

Edited by rlss

What do you mean with an S.O.S has been sent? Sent where? I'm trying to stay calm but it's a bit upsetting the fact that I need to go to courts and be sued for my stupid behaviour... However, I'm attaching an archive with all the pages from the police and the rlp letter. Thank you for your help again.

I have sent a message to other members of the site team who might be able to advise further.

BCOBS

Woah. You arent going to be sued. Stop thinking that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi and welcome

This is not the crown court, it is a magistrates court hearing. This is a lower court and they will deal with you accordingly.

As this is a criminal matter, you should be entitled to legal aid so you could try and find a local Citizens Advice Bureau who can help you find a solicitor to represent you.

I assume you are going to plead guilty so by having a brief, they should be able to promote your mitigating circumstances.

As for RLP, they have nothing to do with the British legal system. They are out for money, nothing more and their speculative invoice is not enforceable.

this matter is being dealt with in the right way, via the courts, not by RLPs dubious practices.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hello and thanks for clarifying that this is not a crown court, might have mistaken by the name of the place...

The other thing is that I can't spend huge amounts of money for solicitors and I believe it would require some to have one.

If you intend to plead guilty you dont need a solicitor. The income form will help the court to know your income and outgoings so they can set a time to pay any fine. You can offer mitigation that is suitable to your circumstances, for example an explanation of what was going on in your mind at the time of the theft or explaining that as a student you can only afford to pay a fine off at a small amount per week or month etc.

Obviously, if you plead guilty you will get a criminal record but this would apply if you accepted a police caution or plead not guilty but are found guilty by the magistrate(s). Better to accept what you have done is done and offer mitigation if you have anything to say, apologise for the trouble you have caused and you are likely to receive a fine of around £150

Take no notice of RLP, they have nothing to do with the justice system and you should not expect to pay twice. I presume that the goods were returned undamaged so no loss has been made by the store.

Thank you for your answer. Is it my responsibility to offer mitigation to the judge? I thought I will be going there just to give explanations and what I plea and to hear their decision. I have started saving some money to cover a fine of around that size, so I believe I could be able to pay it after the court.

I want to ask you people is there any place where I can see an example of how should I format a letter to the judge explaining the situation and peading guilty about my mistake. I have never dealt with such a situation before and I don't want to look like a fool in their eyes...

If you represent yourself, then yes. If you have a solicitor, then before the hearing, they will take you to one side and gather all info. Then they present it to the judge in the best format they can.

If you dont have a solicitor, try and get to the court as early as possible, and speak to the duty solicitor. They work on a first come, first served basis.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thank you, I don't know what would I get from CAB, because I feel that right now I might know what would possibly happen. I have written an apology letter and really don't know if the format is adequate and is what I said is right... so if you could take a quick look at it and tell me what you think I would appreciate it a lot. Any constructive critiques are welcome.

Magistrates Court

In accordance to ref. number:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have received a summons to attend the courthouse at ***** on ****** 2014 to answer on a charge from ******* for stealing numerous electrical items and various other items, to the value of £110.94, belonging to Tesco.

On ****** after I was at university at around **** PM I went to Tesco at ****** with the intention to buy myself food and go home. After I went past the electronics section I’ve put a couple of audio and computer related products in my basket. After that I was on the DIY section where I’ve got a screwdriver and a couple of wrenches. After going up at the end of the store I’ve realised that I would not be able to afford all the items I've had in my basket and instead of leaving them back on the shelf I’ve felt a sense of great guilt and despite the fact that I was aware that I am watched I’ve moved all the items in my backpack, leaving the basket with food products only. Just after I’ve paid for the food products I was asked by one of the two security guards to follow them and was brought to a small room at the back of the store, where one of the guards was standing against the door, while I was giving my personal details and explaining what happened to the other. Shortly I was informed of the price value of the products and that the police will be called. After giving my details to the police and after the facts were told to them by the security guards I was driven to my address to prove that I live there and was notified to expect a summons letter from the court.

The following days I was trying to analyse my behaviour and was confused and disgusted of it. I wasn’t able to give a rational and respectful explanation to myself with what I did. I’ve decided to address my issue to a friend who is graduating with psychology, where I’ve explained that I have never stolen or done anything bad in my life before and am against such acts, but I have proved wrong. After discussing some recent events in my life in a couple of sessions I was told that such behaviour might be related to high levels of stress and not particularly social lifestyle, which I have noted and work on. I know that this is not an excuse for my unlawful behaviour and that personal issues should not affect one’s decisions in such arrogant and immoral way. I realise how wrong I was and that theft is a serious crime.

With this letter I want to plead guilty and admit that I was wrong and I accept full responsibility for my behaviour. I promise the court that I will never do this again. I am extremely ashamed about my actions.

I can understand that it may be difficult for the court to accept my apology, but I hope that this letter might give me an opportunity to show my remorse.

Sincerely yours,

have you been able to speak to a duty solicitor? It would have more clout coming from them.

Should I speak with him on the day of the court or I could go there and find him and talk about it? And what could he do? Read my letter and give suggestions?

At court, they always have a a duty solicitor. however, he/she works on a first come, first served basis and they are normally VERY VERY busy. Thats why people who'se court times arent till late afternoon, normally get in there for 8.30 in the morning so they can speak to the solicitor.

Have you thought about seeing your gp and getting refereed for counseling to tackle your life issues that led up to this point.

Admitting you have a problem and then getting proof that you are trying to tackle it might help you. A service provider should be able to produce a letter proving your attendance ettc

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.