Unregistered from self assessment twice, still getting letters?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied to be self employed when I had a website business idea.

It didn't go anywhere, didn't make any money doing it what so ever, so decided to fill in the online form to unregister myself.

I then received a letter in December 2013 saying that I needed to pay national insurance contributions, but didn't need to pay if I unregister, which in January, I done again.

Now yesterday, I received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs, "It's time to complete your tax return".

What am I suppose to do? I haven't received any confirmation that I have unregistered.

• 6 months later...

Hi Joey

Ring HMRC and tell them what has happened, and make sure that they de-register you. At least this will stop problems going forward. Take the name of the person you speak to, get them to send you confirmation in writing.

I haven't spoken to anyone about this yet, I seemed to have lost the letter they sent me.

Who would I need to speak to?

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this until a couple of days ago.

I don't have any of the paperwork what so ever regarding this. I don't know my tax number or anything else. I was planning on just submitting the online self assessment form and putting 0 for all earnings, but I have had to send off for my details.

I don't want to have to worry about doing this every year so defiantly need to come off of the self assessment thing altogether! I will contact them.

Filled out the online form to request the details to be sent to me again, however it asks me for a unique tax payers reference. This is what I am trying to request from them! I entered "0000000000" but the mail bounces back as no record of the information provided.

Now I'm confused.