Cabot/mortimer/marlin EGG Card **one claim DISC'd NEW CLAIM DISC'D by Consent**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks,

I had an old Egg card debt (June 2009) sold on to Barclays and then to Marlin Capitol.

Marlin used Weightmans Solicitors in June last year to issue a County Court Claim

but Weightmans discontinued the claim (in writing to me) without any correspondence from myself at all.

Now Marlin Capitol are using Mortimer Clarke to write to me and phone etc.

I don't know what to do and

where I stand if the original court claim was discontinued.

Do I write sect 78 letter to Marlin etc?

Can anyone please recommend a course of action to take please?

Many Thanks and hope to hear a solution to my worries.

Edited by grafter123
Better quality PDF files attached

Hi grafter

If you have never requested a copy of the agreement (first time around) then it may be advisable to do it now...you can find the section 78 request within our Library..

Re Marlin...just because it was discontinued does not mean they are not prevented from issuing a further claim...so prepare just in case.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Not applicable until a claim is issued....section 78

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Dont forget to head it " I do not acknowledge any debt with your company "

• Confused 1

Not applicable until a claim is issued....section 78

...but you can technically start to use CPR if they threaten legal action – all in the interests of ‘the overriding objective’.

Do you not have to refer to a Court claim number with a CPR request? If they only threaten legal action would one send a CPR request without the referral to the c court part?

...but you can technically start to use CPR if they threaten legal action – all in the interests of ‘the overriding objective’.

The only part of the CPR that applies is 31 disclosure....and you cant really ask for disclosure until they litigate...except for 31.16 Disclosure before proceedings start pre litigation....cost you £55 though.... so best stick to the section 77/78 for a £1.:-)

Delaying tactics..there is no requirement to complete the payee details....Im sure they can write their own name on the PO.

Fill it it in ...return it and a cover letter stating your request still runs from the date of your original request.

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Its simply their last attempt...will they issue a claim or can they not respond to your request and its a bluff?

Its your decision if you feel that you can opt to defend then you ignore if you feel that there is no defence then negotiate a settlement figure or payment plan.

Regards

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I have received a court form today (uploaded).

The amount claimed has jumped from 16k to over 23k?

Their discontinued CC Claim 12 months ago was for only 16k.

I have had no reply from my Sect78 request sent 8 May.

I will acknowledge the CC form and could file a defence ref no Sect78 compliance

if they suddenly come with this info what then?

I am still not sure if I can negotiate a repayment plan for the 16k?

Hi Grafter responding to your PM

Okay judging from their last correspondence its of no shock that they have now issued.The way they have added the section 69 is questionable they have not shown the dates within their particulars nor the calculation....but we can come back to that.

Follow your time line and make sure you complete the acknowledgement of service within 19 days and if you wish to defend this (bearing in mind it will be Fast Track) we can draft a suitable defence to question their actions.

Regards

Andy

Yes there are various options open along the way but acknowledge the claim for now and then I can review the thread and advise on your best course of action.

Regards

Andy

You should be able to just acknowledge and exit at this stage?...but you do have 19 days to consider if it requires a plea.

You should be able to just acknowledge and exit at this stage?...but you do have 19 days to consider if it requires a plea.

Hi Andy,

The acknowledgement (attached) has to be ticked as appropriate, 1 defend all, 2 defend part or 3 contest jurisdiction? it the says 'file a defence within 28 days' or 'file an application within 14 days'?

Are you not going to process this on line using MCOL?