PCN for parking on resident's bay only on Bank Holiday

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I got a ticket yesterday (5th May) for parking on a resident's bay with a parking suspension notice to come in effect on the 8th May.

When I checked on the Westminster Council website before setting off the parking restriction for area G is Monday-Saturday 8.30 to 6.30pm.

However I did not look at the sign properly as I was confused with the parking suspension notice.

Please find attached the PCN and picture of the parking sign.

Is there any point fighting this?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

I'm confused too. The sign on the street does not say Monday-Saturday, and so it's seven days a week. However, if their website says something different, that is an issue you might be able to appeal on.

I notice here that the restriction on the bank holiday are as per a Sunday: https://www.westminster.gov.uk/parking-bank-and-public-holidays

So, if there is uncertainty over Sunday, then there is uncertainty over the bank holiday, and you can at least try an appeal on that basis.

If its a 24/7 permit bay then it surely doesn't matter if its a monday or sunday? I cannot see any argument even regarding the suspension if you thought it was suspended why park, if you thought it wasn't then its a permit bay 24/7 so once again why park?

Hi Jamberson, This is where I found the info on Mon-Sat:http://old.westminster.gov.uk/workspace/assets/publications/CPZ-map-with-op-hrs-Feb11-1297171369.pdfCan I use your argument above to formulate an appeal?Hi mean and green, I saw the parking suspension to be effective on the 8th May but did not take notice of the Resident Permit only sign incorrectly thinking it was fine to park on a bank holiday.

Ah - I think you have misunderstood the meaning of that document. It gives the hours of the underlying zone restriction, but it does not follow that every parking bay in zone G has those hours.

Resident parking seems to be seven days a week, although I don't think it's crystal clear. You have to read around a bit to find out. Unless you can find something which says resident bays are Mon-Sat, I think your chances are slim, although you could still try and argue confusion over the restrictions in an appeal letter.

Did you get a PCN attached to the vehicle? If so, you need to appeal in the next 14 days - by the time you receive an NTO, you will have forfeited the chance to pay the discounted rate. You are better off appealing while the discount holds, since they might refuse your appeal.

Could you check the below appeal for me please. It is strong enough? Thanks.Dear Parking Services,I would like to appeal to PCN no ********** because before I set off in my car I checked on your website at the following web address: http://old.westminster.gov.uk/worksp...1297171369.pdfThis document states that for zone G the operational hours are Mon-Sat 8.30am-6.30pm. Also in another section of your web site it states that for Bank holiday Sunday rules apply. Clearly based on the above information there are no restrictions on Sunday. I therefore assumed it was fine to park in zone G on a bank holiday.I would like to appeal to this PCN on the ground that the information on this parking zones map on your web site which visitors to Westminster will naturally refer to is confusing and not clear cut as to when the parking restrictions apply and what exclusions apply.

How about this:

I would like to appeal to pcnlink3.gif no **********

I parked my car on a bank holiday Monday. Before I set off in my car I checked on your website at the following web address: http://old.westminster.gov.uk/worksp...171369.pdf which states that for zone G the operational hours are Mon-Sat 8.30am-6.30pm. Also in another section of your web site it states that for Bank holidaylink3.gif Sunday rules apply.

I therefore assumed that there were no restrictions in zone G on that day. I accessed Brewer Street via Glasshouse Street and passed no signs advising of an alternative restriction.

I think that as a motorist, I did everything reasonable to ascertain what the restrictions were in advance, and nowhere did I find any signs or instructions advising that I could not park on a bank holiday. Having received the PCN, I have since searched your web pages thoroughly, and have found an asterisked note on one page advising that signs of a specific wording are in fact in force on Sundays, and therefore also on bank holidays.

I am not denying that I parked in contravention. My appeal is based on the lack of clear communication of the regulations to drivers such as myself. I had no intention of flouting the regulations and so I would ask you to consider cancelling this PCN on a discretionary basis on this occasion. Now I am in possession of the full details of that particular restriction I will avoid parking there in future.

Yours etc...

• 2 weeks later...