Faulty car - credit card company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just making a brief post - I will add more details when I get a response from my letter from the dealership. Long story short - we bought a second hand car for £3000 from a main dealership which broke down 3 weeks after we drove it away. Rang dealer, received zilch help and had it repaired by local garage.

We have had the car just over 5 months and during this time have had to replace 'botched job' on coil pack wires, power steering pump, HT leads, coil pack and spark plugs. Car cut out at 60 mph again and is now in garage and we are told the ECU burnt out the coil pack and the car now needs a new ECU costing £1200 + VAT, mechanic has tried 2 or 3 used ECUs and says they aren't compatible. All throughout this time, we have made several phone calls to the dealership and have been told we will get a call back and never have.

We are now at the beginning of the 5th month and after been told about the latest possible cost and that the car cannot be driven, I am irate and have written to the dealership to ask for full refund and compensation for losses, such as practically non-use of insurance because the car has spent more time with a mechanic than on the road, for having to insure my son on mine while his is almost permanently in a garage and obviously cost of repairs.

I did invoice them for the first repair which they paid up for because I told them the garage said it was a botched job with liquid metal and couldn't see how the dealership wouldn't have noticed this. I paid over £200 on my credit card towards the car. Time is ticking as 6 months will be end of May, I have just written the letter asking for them to pick the seriously faulty car up and refund (will post tomorrow).

My question is - I am happy with the deals my credit card give me and I would rather not rock the boat with them - if I wait until I find out if the dealership are going to solve this matter, would I be able to try and claim from credit card company if I don't contact them until after the 6 month i.e. giving car company chance to reply and resolve. Thanks in advance and sorry for the lack of details, I Would rather they had received the letter before I am more specific.

Edited by pixie30

Hi pixie30

I presume you paid for the car via Credit Card, lets see what the Dealer does to resolve the matter.

You can consider a Section 75 claim, if you make a claim you are not 'rocking the boat'.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

OFT's guide for Dealers,

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/oft1241.pdf

Hi Rebel11

Thanks for the prompt reply. I paid almost £300 on credit card of a £3000 car. Could I still make a claim if I wait until after the dealer replies as this may run until after the 6 month mark. I first complained 3 week after the purchase, the car was cutting out then, but now the mechanic says it can't be driven as he says the ECU is faulty and is burning out coil packs. Would making a section 75 claim affect the relationship with my credit card provider and the good deals they offer me. Thank you.

Hi pixie30

You can make a Section 75 claim, credit card companies reject Section 75 claims very easily, but you must persist.

It won't effect your relationship with your credit card company. You paid £3,000 in total, £300 by card, how did you pay the rest?

Hi Rebel11

I thought it may have a negative effect, if it was kind of like when you try to reclaim unfair charges and then they close your account down, so you don't think it would be like that? My son bought the car for cash with me adding £300 by card. It's my son's now useless car, but after he was ignored on the phone, I have taken over in writing to them.

Also, do you think as long as I lodged the complaint with the dealership before 6 month mark, would it still be possible to make a section 75 claim after then.