• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been in a long running dispute with Bristow & Sutor over a Council Tax Bill for several months now.

They told me I had to pay £445 per month or else,

at first i paid it just to keep them off my back, but I got made redundant and only had my partners income coming in, the £445 I was paying them became unsustainable

. I have not let them into my property at any time, and have started to stand my ground with them,

I have now refused to pay them and have said I will only deal with the council,

my question is can they force entry now this new bill has been passed through government, or has the industry got to become fully regulated before it comes into force?

they cannot force entry.

however anything that is open [window etc] they can use but they cannot 'force' their way in.

the council are responsible for the actions of the bailiffs they enploy.

go into the council, make a realistic PCM offer & get them to contact the bailiff direct. but you must pay what you say every month.

i would be inclined to check if / how much, the bailiffs have charged

there are strict guidelines on charges.

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest Herbie

The Tribunals Courts & Enforcement Bill became law 2 weeks ago. However, this is a very large bill covering many different areas from debt, insolvency and enforcement which is contained in Part 3. Yes, it is PLANNED that some time IN THE FUTURE bailifs wil be given powers to break into homes. However, we were told that this will ONLY HAPPEN when all bailiffs are certificated and when a regulator is put in place. We are told that this will not be for 2 years.

Also, it must be remembered that if a bailiff is enforcing a fine. ie: parking offence ( driving without insurance, speeding etc) or unpaid TV Licence etc, they CAN break into your home.

For the more common debt, ie: council tax and unpaid parking charge notices, the bailiff CANNOT break in.

The Tribunals Courts & Enforcement Bill became law 2 weeks ago. However, this is a very large bill covering many different areas from debt, insolvency and enforcement which is contained in Part 3. Yes, it is PLANNED that some time IN THE FUTURE bailifs wil be given powers to break into homes. However, we were told that this will ONLY HAPPEN when all bailiffs are certificated and when a regulator is put in place. We are told that this will not be for 2 years.

Also, it must be remembered that if a bailiff is enforcing a fine. ie: parking offence ( driving without insurance, speeding etc) or unpaid TV Licence etc, they CAN break into your home.

For the more common debt, ie: council tax and unpaid parking charge notices, the bailiff CANNOT break in.

Thanks for that i didn't just want to send my next letter off only to return one day with my front door hanging from its hinges. The last letter I got from the bailiff was if they could not collect what was outstanding they would return to client duly endorsed because of my refusal to deal with them. However in my letter I am about to send them I have explained I'm not refusing to pay, I'm just refusing to pay them and any payments will be sent to the council along with this years council tax monthly installment, I have included a cheque with the letter for £36 which clears any fees incurred for visiting my home, I have also put at the bottom of the letter that by enclosing this payment it concludes my business relationship with bristow & sutor and any future communication between both parties should cease otherwise any continued harrassment with be passed to my solicitor.

Does this sound about right?

brill

on the ball

well done.

there is an interesting point in another like threads about bailiffs.

it appears the some councils cannot recall the debts placed with bailiffs.

i'm not sure on this , doesn't sound right to me

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have now refused to pay them and have said I will only deal with the council, my question is can they force entry now this new bill has been passed through government, or has the industry got to become fully regulated before it comes into force?

Fantastic - another one who refuses to be ripped-off !

Please see thread - Time for a bailiff boycott.

Good news!

Had a letter today from Bristow & Sutor stating that if they cannot collect a payment within the next 7 days they will return the liability orders back to the council who then make an application for my committal to prison.

I contacted the local council who said we won't commit me to prison as long as I make an arrangement to pay which we have now done, goodbye horrible Bristow & Sutor. Thanks guys for all your help and advice, I just hope others follow the same plan.

Good news!

Had a letter today from Bristow & Sutor stating that if they cannot collect a payment within the next 7 days they will return the liability orders back to the council who then make an application for my committal to prison.

I contacted the local council who said we won't commit me to prison as long as I make an arrangement to pay which we have now done, goodbye horrible Bristow & Sutor. Thanks guys for all your help and advice, I just hope others follow the same plan.

Yet another who refuses to be ripped-off !

If you REFUSE to deal with bailiffs - then the Council WILL come to an agreement !

• 6 years later...

Good morning all......

Just need a bit of quick advice.

I had for the 3rd time in a month had a visit from Bristow and Sutor regarding Council Tax, we have never let them into our home at any point. And as I understand it they cannot force entry.

However the letter pushed through the door mentioned The Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 schedule 12, after reading up on this can they gain a warrant to gain entry? or are BS just pulling things out of the air in hope of gaining entry by peaceful means?

The letter said I have to make contact by Tuesday otherwise they are coming back and what that is supposed to mean I'm not sure. But to confirm again BS have never gained peaceful entry into our home.

All advice is most welcome.

Scary letters to frighten you into contacting them

To force entry it would need to go to court and have entry granted

They would write to you giving a time and a date when they would attend

They would only force entry if on that date you are out or deny them entry

A long way off that happening

Sounds like they will hand it back to the council soon

What fees have been added to the account

How much is owing

Payment direct to council

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Scary letters to frighten you into contacting them

To force entry it would need to go to court and have entry granted

They would write to you giving a time and a date when they would attend

They would only force entry if on that date you are out or deny them entry

A long way off that happening

Sounds like they will hand it back to the council soon

What fees have been added to the account

How much is owing

Payment direct to council

There is £402.00 outstanding and £235.00 in bailiff fees added.

However we have written to both BS and Sandwell MBC twice explaining we are deemed as vulnerable persons, my son has Aortic Valve disease and my husband has severe mobility problems, both are in receipt of highest rate mobility and middle rate care. I am a carer for them both.

However the council have refused to recall the debt, and at the moment we have a 3rd stage complaint and a meeting with the council on Thursday next week to discuss the matter, we also have a complaint registered with the Local Government Ombudsman regarding the conduct of SMBC and their failure to recognise vulnerability, however the Ombudsman have said they won't involve themselves until after the outcome of this meeting on Thursday.

What also makes this a difficult issue is this £402.00 shouldn't really apply as it has only come about as the council won't accept our backdated claim for a council tax reduction. We have given good cause as to why we we were late entering a claim (Waiting to hear about benefit entitlement, which was also backdated by the DWP), however the council refuses to accept that is good enough cause..... I can't technically enter a claim until I know it's a valid claim due to a backdated benefit award...

I have stated Section 11 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992. Which states there is no limit on backdating providing it can be shown and proven qualification was made on the day concerned.

And also 62(16) of the Council Tax Benefit (General) Regulations 1992. Which in a nutshell means as long as good cause is proven it is accepted the claim is deemed served on the backdated date subject to section 1(2) of the Administration Act 1992 which places a 12 month limit on the claim.

So it's quite a complicated case, I'll go along on Thursday and request yet again that the debt is brought back under control of the council and the bailiff fees are covered by the council as really it shouldn't technically be with a bailiff. Otherwise I'll go to the Ombudsman.

Contact your localMP and councillors they should help you sort the council

Untill things sorted keep property secure at all times as a unlocked door could make things worse should bailiffs turn up

Do the Council acknowledge you are vulnerable? Have you provided them with proof of your vulnerability? Are B&S aware of your vulnerability? What do they say about it?

We have provided both BS and the council copies of both DLA awards and a copy of my carers allowance award. I have also provided a statement of income and outgoings, and still they ignore it, we have done this twice.

The council have known first least 2 years there is a vulnerable situation at home, in fact my youngest son with the heart condition was admitted to hospital 3 weeks ago as he passed out in his bedroom, he is petrified someone is going to break into out home and take away his belongings. The doctors have confirmed this incident was no doubt due to stress, the council have been provided with this, yet they still ignore vulnerability.

We keep all the windows and doors locked and only answer the door once we have checked who is there on the CCTV system.

This is the second thread today concerning vulnerability issues & B&S.

I did speak to our local councillor but they simply wasn't interested. More than likely too busy campaigning, but never mind I know who not to vote for.

Any other suggestions you can make? I'll see how it plays out on Thursday next week and then take it to the ombudsman.

Just to confirm they will not be breaking in and taking your sons belongings

There is no right of entry for them

They will be acting on a liability order they may call it a court order or warrant or whatever they want to call it ,it is a liability order nothing else thousands issued each year

NO RIGHT OF ENTRY

Try your local MP

I did speak to our local councillor but they simply wasn't interested. More than likely too busy campaigning, but never mind I know who not to vote for.

Any other suggestions you can make? I'll see how it plays out on Thursday next week and then take it to the ombudsman.

If your local Councillor isn't interested then I would go over their head straight to the Leader of the Council - Councillor Darren Cooper. If he also turns out to be reluctant this again is something to bring up with the LGO. I would also be thinking about talking to the local press - particularly as local elections are looming.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your local Councillor isn't interested then I would go over their head straight to the Leader of the Council - Councillor Darren Cooper. If he also turns out to be reluctant this again is something to bring up with the LGO. I would also be thinking about talking to the local press - particularly as local elections are looming.

I never thought of writing to Darren Cooper with the threat of involving the local press.

I never thought of writing to Darren Cooper with the threat of involving the local press.

I would initiate first contact by phone. In my opinion Councillors are available 7 days per week until approx 9pm. If they don't like the hassle then they should never have stood for public office. If possible direct them here so they can see at first hand how things go.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• dx100uk changed the title to Bristow & Sutor ctax debt