• Tweets

• Post #9 suggested some options to avoid or put off having a smart meter. Post #12 a simple solution to your complaint about the ay they handle fixed monthly DD. It's not really clear why you posted if you're going get irate when members "jump in" with suggestions. You can see what I'm referring to on "gasracker.uk" to allay your suspicion that I was lying in Post #16 which was made to correct ther misinformation shown in your Post #15
    • Back to octopus from the smart meter/tariff salesperson. Octopus have now said just ignore the letter - I dont have to have one despite there letter implying (at least) it was required, but that i will HAVE to have a smart meter if current meters stop working as 'their suppliers dont supply non smart meters any more'. They also say they do not/will not disable any smart functionality when they fit a smart meter I am of course going to challenge that. Thats their choice of meter fitter/supplier problem not mine
    • Point taken that we should inform new Caggers that the £20 option is there in wrong registration cases.  Well, supposedly there, who knows what the PPCs would do in practice.  Anyway, the option is allegedly there with both the BPA as you say, but also the IPC (I've just checked). However, there's a danger here of baby, bathwater. The two easiest types of cases to win are (a) residential - due to Supremacy of Contract and (b) wrong registration - due to "de minimis".  Indeed until recently we has been boasting that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing. We simply can do nothing about a terrible judge.  The judge seems - I say seems because we haven't had all the details - to have ignored "de minimis",. got fixated on a sign and awarded unreasonable behaviour costs.  A totally bizarre judgement.
    • You mean your witness statement 
    • That may be your personal claimed experience I said i didn't want smart meters - you jumped in to recommend smart meters I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest paying what I owe every month I quite clearly indicated I was happy with being in credit to maintain constant payments - you suggest a variable tariff - even if its one that only varies on a daily basis rather than half/hourly - with prices higher in winter when you need it and lowest in summer when you need it least   politeness ends with: - I'm NOT interested in any smart tariff I see, You are pushing your smart meter + variable tariffs in the wrong place - try pushing them somewhere 'nearer to home'  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Arrow now got merged Midland bank debt from 1997!!

wilbyhilby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter two weeks ago from Arrow Global informing me that I owe them £3.950.39.

the original agreement being with HSBC dated 06/10/2007,

being transferred to Arrow Global on 13/5/2011

and telling me it has now been transferred to Rockwell who I should now direct all queries to.

Yesterday I received a letter from Rockwell telling me the full amount is now overdue

and must be paid within the next ten days or they will take "immediate action",

or if I cannot pay in full to telephone them immediately!.

Now the debt that Arrow quoted was indeed a debt I had way back in 1996 through Midland Bank

made up of two separate accounts,

a Midland Bank Account and

a Flexiloan account which the bank closed and transferred

to make up the total amount, after my life took a turn for the worse,

(lost my business, wife and kids, and home)

which left me in a lot of debt and misery and began the worst 8 years I have ever had.

Continual harassment and abuse from DCA's. Solicitors, etc, etc.

However eventually with the help of a lovely lady (now my wife), and a new son,

(I am by the way, now 74 and a pensioner)

we gradually turned it around and over the past few years life has been good,

having got rid of nearly all the debt, and managing our finances best we can.

So much so that I was recently offered a Free transfer credit card from Nationwide

who I have had a current account with for the last 14 years

and I accepted it to allow me to transfer a Capital One account

that I had never defaulted on, to get lower interest and reduce the payments.

We have been paying the debt quoted by Arrow every single month without fail since 1997

it started with Shakespeare solicitors

then DG Solicitors in 2005,

onto Phoenix

then Fredrickson 2007

then we were being sent paying in books which then changed somewhere along the line

to a card from MCS? that allows it to be paid at the post office

which we have been doing regularly every month since, right up to date.

I have all receipts dating back to 2004.

The last previous contact we had with anyone was an annual statement from Fredrickson International

on the 24th October 2009 that says phoenix Recoveries (UK) Limited

were the original creditor, and Phoenix Recoveries (UK) Limited S.a.r.l listed as Assignee.

Now I am terrified that all the hounding and threats are going to start again,

and I am not going to be able to cope.

Do I contact Rockwell if so, how, to my knowledge Arrow have not been involved at all,

never contacted me before and this is the first I have heard of them.

Do I keep paying with the card, because I'm now not sure where the money is going.

I have now also received a letter from a company called pace forward

entitled Important Address Confirmation saying they wish to discuss an “important personal matter”

and to ring them urgently. I certainly am not going to ring them,

but it seems strange that these letters have only started to arrive

since I recently got my Nationwide credit card!.

Could someone please give me some advice, as I want to try and fight these people,

I'm fed up of being made to feel like I do.

Hello Wilby and welcome on board.

I think you'll find that the letter of two weeks ago would be from Rockwell

but using Arrow letterhead.

That's the usual form with Arrow and the scoundrels who collect debts for them,

with subsequent junk coming from Rock or their other outfits,

eg the Pace thing you received - and which you MUST ignore.

I'm very sorry that you've been paying monthly all this time.

If you had stopped doing so, you would have been well in the clear long ago.

To summarise the matter . . .

Your HSBC debt was assigned to Phoenix.

They then reassigned it [along with a huge portfolio of other accounts, btw] to Arrow.

M C S are HSBC so you should have stopped paying with that card once Phoenix had bought the debt.

You can now either ignore all letters from Rockwell and their lackeys,

which would mean they eventually give up or pass the account back to Arrow,

who try again through another of their DCA or solicitors.

They could also attempt legal action but, given the history of the debt and your circumstances,

would likely get them nowhere.

The other option is to grab the bull by the horns and send Rockwell the "prove it" letter from the library.

As HSBC naughtily used your current account to pay off your Flexiloan, this could be fun.

You could ask Rockwell for a copy of the signed overdraft facility agreement which,

given the age of the account, is not very likely to be found.

Hope this helps for starters.

Do not let this matter unnerve you.

I am sure it can be sorted out painlessly.

What a shame you've let all these rogues cash-cow you for so long.

Thank you oleg, I feel a little better already. I really don't know anything about these things but what I cannot understand is how can Arrow/Rockwell/Phoenix chase this debt when it is being paid to hsbc via mcs and they are obviously accepting the payments.

I think maybe I will take your advice and ignore them for a while and see what happens.

Surely it would complicate matters if it got to court and I can show that I am still paying it and hsbc are still accepting payments, or doesn't it make any difference.

Whatever, I am now in a better frame of mind and think I might take them on with the help from this brilliant forum.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Arrow or their solicitors would probably convince a court that your payments to HSBC are nothing to do with them.

You really MUST stop those payments immediately.

I would demand that HSBC refund every payment since they assigned your account

unless they can give a legitimate explanation of what they have been doing with your money.

Unless there's something else you haven't mentioned here,

you don't owe them a single bean since the assignment to Phoenix.

Ensure that all communication be in writing.

One exception: you could, if you prefer, sort out the HSBC thing at a branch . .

. stay seated even and refuse to leave til they refund what they've taken off you.

Arrow's DCAs and solicitors are invariably nasty and threaten court at the drop of a hat.

Don't let them upset you.

I think you can get them off your back by the prove-it letter

or demanding a copy of your overdraft agreement

but, as you say, for the time being, yes, just see what effluent they produce.

It gives me pleasure to let them waste their resources.

What have you been paying HSBC each month

and do you know how much you've paid altogether?

The first letter I have still got that mentions Phoenix is from Fredrickson in 2007 saying they now act on behalf of them.

So if that is when they first took over the debt I think the amount we have paid could be about 900 to 1000 pounds but I will have to check the receipts.

I thought from your first post you meant you had been paying M C S, owned by HSBC,

and were continuing to do so even after the they had sold the account to Phoenix.

However, from your latest post, it seems you may have been paying Phoenix / Arrow

with a payment book from Fredrickson.

In that case, disregard all I said earlier about finding out where your payments to M C S

were actually ending up.

If you have a payment card and have been paying since 2004

surely you can tell who issued the card and, if different, who the payee is?

Sorry, I'm obviously not making it very clear, (I'm confused myself),

The payment books started in 1997 sent to us by Shakespeare Solicitors,

BUT the payment slips state MCS re HSBC collections.

The books were replaced with the card that says MCS in 2001

and that is what we have paid with since then.

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

Thanks wilby. Yes that does make things clearer but, in relation to what has happened to your payments, clear as mud!

Ignore my last post and revert to as I had written previously.

If you can't get sense out of HSBC by way of a branch visit or letter, you could send them a SAR, but that would set you back £10.

However, let's not lose sight of the fact that your most immediate concern is Rockwell. And I still suggest that your best tactic right now may be to sit and watch what the tides wash ashore.

ps I thought Shakespeare was a playwright not a solicitor.

:(

Have you not received any statements from Metropolitan Collections ?

That would be my first step. Write to them and ask why they are continuing to accept monies paid by you if the account has been sold to Arrow Global ?

Then a short note to Rockwell advising that there would now appear to be a dispute on the account as you have been making payments to Metropolitan Collections.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

C B : It was assigned to Phoenix first and later to Arrow. HSBC need to explain what has happened with these payments.

Arrow - and hence Rockwell - will almost certainly be unaware of these payments but I doubt that will render the account in dispute as such since it is nothing to do with them. Or do you disagree, C B ?

C B, the answer to your question is No. I have never received a statement from MCS all the time we have dealt with them!

Make a Formal Complaint to MCS demanding a full and up to date statement.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

If rockies are involved then the debt is almost certainly UE

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Great advice thanks, I think I will just hang on for now and see if it escalates then start with a prove it letter to Rockwell as suggested earlier.

I do feel a lot better now thanks to the advice, it's at least done away with the "panic" factor, for which I am truly grateful.

Watch this space

oh dear, looks like you might have been cash cowed for years here.

as with ALL your debts

look at send anyone you are paying a CCA request

and

get and sar off to each original creditor

I bet you've PPI lurking

and heeps of penalty charges to reclaim as well.

a 1997 debt still being paid rings serious alarm bells here.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

C B : It was assigned to Phoenix first and later to Arrow. HSBC need to explain what has happened with these payments.

Arrow - and hence Rockwell - will almost certainly be unaware of these payments but I doubt that will render the account in dispute as such since it is nothing to do with them. Or do you disagree, C B ?

Hmm, if the OP is paying to one company and has not been informed the accoutn has been assigned and should be paying another, then I think there is cause for dispute.

On top of which, it would appear no statements have been provided by Met Collect. Even if they were to send them say 4 - 6 times a year, it is a legal requirement that they are sent. Again reason to dispute.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The payments going on for so long could just be because the debt was high and the payments low. I certainly was paying debts off from the mid 90's up until 2 years ago.

Is it possible that the payment arrangements were to stay the same after the assignments hence no NOA needed to be sent . I would certainly agree that you need to get onto MCS and find out what is going on , where your money is going etc.

A question is, has the balance you owe been going down in the various letters you have received or has it stayed the same

Has there ever been a CCJ on this?

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

The payments were low due to my circumstances, I got them down to £5 per month and that's what we are still paying. The assignment letter totals bear no resemblance to what we calculate we have paid using the receipts we have, in fact they are very near the same totals as the original debt, (give or take a few pounds).

There has never been a CCJ on this.

What I don't understand is how can HSBC/MCS still take money from me when allegedly they sold/assigned the debt to someone else.

Surely somewhere along the line one of the many DCAs/Solicitors involved should have some sort of proof that I need to pay them instead of HSBC.

I'm now totally confused, it looks as though the title of my thread has changed as I'm getting replies to "Arrow now got merged Midland bank debt from 1997" whereas I posted " Arrow Global and Rockwell Threat Letters - Need Help Please" are these the same or am I getting muddled with two threads.

it was changed to better reflect your issue

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If this were me, I would be writing to HSBC with copies being sent to Met Collect and the "alleged" new owner of the debt.

Your letter needs to be a Formal Complaint and headed as such - it should be sent to HSBC's head/registered office and you should use a tracked post - either Recorded or Special Delivery for the HSBC letter, and obtain free proof of postings for the Met Collect and "alleged" new owner of the debt.

You should bullet point your letter and insist that they respond to each point. Which would appear to be....

On DATE - you defaulted on Account reference 12345678

On DATE - you entered into a Payment arrangement for the sum of £X.00 - the balance at that time was £XXXX.00

On DATE - you started to make payments to Met Collect and have continued to make payments to date.

On DATE - you received a letter from Arrow Global to say they have owned the account since 13/5/2011 by way of assignment.

You have never been advised of this previously.

The amount being requested has not reduced, despite your maintaining the payments to Met Collect since DATE, and Arrow Global are demanding that you pay the full amount that was due at the time of default and the start of your payment arrangement to Met Collect.

At no time have you received a statement from Met Collect to show how the balance of your accoutn has reduced. This is in breach of the regulations.

You can provide proof of all the payments you have made.

You would now like someone to advise the true balance of the account and to provide statements identifying the payments you have made and how they have been applied to the account.

You are confirming that this is a Formal Complaint, and if you have not received a satisfactory response within 4 weeks, then you will be escalating your complaint to the Ombudsman with copies to the Financial Conduct Authority.

Chances are, they wont respond for up to 8 weeks, which is industry standard and will be backed up by the FOS.. but it will put HSBC and supporting actors on notice that you are not prepared to sit back and let them mess you around.

BCOBS