**Support Group**ESA Decision**

Beddz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello consumer forum, I have finally received the dreaded letter from ATOS stating that I will have a home visit carried out by a doctor to see if am i eligible for ESA

My condition has been diagnosed as Ongoing Depressive Disorder with anxiety and delusional thoughts and panic disorder also.

I have sent in a report from my local hospital which was carried out by a Psychiatrist recently and have asked for this to be looked into.

I've never been so nervous and scared in my whole life... I'm really struggle of what to expect from this home visit and how i can best prepare myself

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there.

I understand how you feel about being assessed, it's not nice. I hope we can find some ways to help you. Have you read leemack's stikky about Atos 'medicals'? That should help.

Have you asked for the visit to be recorded please, or is that what they've said?

I expect the guys will be along later with advice for you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there.

I understand how you feel about being assessed, it's not nice. I hope we can find some ways to help you. Have you read leemack's stikky about Atos 'medicals'? That should help.

Have you asked for the visit to be recorded please, or is that what they've said?

I expect the guys will be along later with advice for you.

HB

I have asked for the medical to be recorded yes...also the only place I feel remotely comfortable is my bedroom which has a tv/computer in which I keep thinking would be used against me... am really just worried about how prove i fit the descriptors to be granted ESA

I have asked for the medical to be recorded yes...also the only place I feel remotely comfortable is my bedroom which has a tv/computer in which I keep thinking would be used against me... am really just worried about how prove i fit the descriptors to be granted ESA

Thank you for that. Some of the guys here know about having assessments recorded and should be able to advise you on that.

About fitting the descriptors, you need to mug up on what they are, in conjunction with leemack's stikky. One of the things she mentions is how to answer questions so the answers can't be twisted to mean something you didn't mean.

HB

It like being out in public I sometimes have no control over my bowel movements cos i get so nervous and scared... but is that classed as one of the descriptors?

Yes, I think it could be. I'll have a look in a mo.

HB

Least my doctor doesn't have any problems issuing me new sick notes as he did me one for 6 weeks which helps me not worry as much, guess i gotta wait for some help on the home assessment and what to expect

Hello again.

I'm sorry, I couldn't find the right llink. I've asked a couple of the site team who advise on benefits to help, but I don't think they've been around lately. Still trying.

HB

Any idea HB if being granted a home visit and with it being recorded is some what in my favor with my case for ESA

Any idea HB if being granted a home visit and with it being recorded is some what in my favor with my case for ESA

Hi. Sorry, I haven't been around much for a day or two. Firstly, here's a link to the descriptors.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/employment-and-support-allowance-overview#appendix1

I'm not sure what you mean about being in your favour, but having a recording means that you'll know if things turn up on the assessment of you that weren't said during the meeting.

HB

• 2 weeks later...

Got my assessment home visit coming up on Friday in 2 days time, so nervous and panicking as I have sent in reports from the MH team at my local hospital.. but I feel I should have more to give :( :( can anyone help?

I recently had a home assessment which was recorded.

The doctor was really nice. After we had confirmed my identity and she had read out a list of my diagnoses (23) and medication, she just asked a few questions to confirm information on my ESA50 form and in the accompanying evidence. She wasn't in the least bit confrontational and did actually appear to listen to me. I was put in to the support group.

It's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much as it turned out to be not nearly as bad as I imagined. However, don't make any special effort either - if you don't usually get dressed up (or get dressed at all!) then don't just because the doc is visiting.

It will probably help if you have any bits of paper you might need (your ID and perhaps a copy of your form, for example) ready well in advance. Also you could have available your medication (in the original boxes with the date on) or repeat prescription list and any appointment letters or cards you have.

About the only thing to be wary of is leading questions. You might be asked if you do your own shopping, for example, and if you say yes they will assume that you can go out alone and use public transport/drive, walk around a supermarket, and carry shopping, so if you can only do your own shopping online, you need to make that very clear. Try not to give just yes or no answers at all, in fact, so if asked if you have a pet, instead of yes you could say 'my friend walks the dog for me' or instead of no you could say 'I wouldn't be able to take care of a pet', obviously only if that is the case - do not be tempted to say what you think they want to hear or exaggerate in any way.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

You mentioned copy of a form? I dont know which form you are talking about :/ I have no copies of anything :( And as my ESA50 was completed around January this year I have somewhat forgotten the answers I gave to some of the questions due to realyl bad memory and concentration. As for the questions I never leave the house, the only place I spend most of my days is my bedroom with the curtains closed and door shut basically locking myself away. I have only one medication for my condition also, and you have listed you had "23" diagnoses and I doubt I have more than 5.... :( ugh this sucks so much why is everything stressful and hard to deal with

I might have 23 diagnoses but I was awarded benefit based on just one of them. It might have been wise to keep a copy of the ESA50 form, but if you didn't it's not worth worrying about.

I waited just over 2 years between my ESA50 and the assessment, so I had completely forgotten what I wrote, but the doctor read it out to me anyway.

Maybe Friday would be a really good day to have a 'pyjama day' and conduct the interview from your bed? I'm fairly sure that simply doing the assessment in your home means you will get enough points to be awarded benefit since it's not easy to get a home assessment.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I have been told that people are extremely lucky to get a home visit with ATOS so I suppose that is maybe a good thing, you mentioned "pyjama day" that's a normal day for me everyday. I never get dressed or barely even shower due to how I am and feel. Also there is a computer and TV in my bedroom.... wont things like that go against me?

As I said before, do exactly what you would normally do, so if you don't normally shower or dress on a Friday, don't do it this Friday.

I doubt having a computer and a tv will go against you, how else would you do your shopping? Don't bother to tidy up or make the bed though, unless of course you'd normally do that.

• Haha 1

RMW

I live with my grandad who does all the food shopping, collecting my prescriptions, washing up etc I feel horrible and worthless for not doing anything but I think he understands how I am and feel, earlier he was trying to suggest hovering up my bedroom and tidying which I declined with anger :( as its never normally done so... I can't thank you enough for being here reallymadwoman without some support in this I couldn't do it

Edited by Beddz

Just had my assessment don't think it was that bad only was here for 10-15mins or so, asked questions all relating to my condition and she apparently stopped the assessment early as she could see how bad I was suffering and had the information she needed to get the report processed and completed straight away and that she will do her best for my case so hopefully it's going to be good news in few weeks

Edited by Beddz

Not wishing to raise your hopes too much, but stopping the assessment early usually means the doc is sure you will 'pass', so fingers crossed for you.

Don't worry if you don't hear from them for a long time - in some areas people are apparently waiting months for their decision letter but in others only a few weeks.

RMW

Hmm her words were "I am gonna have to stop it there I can see your not coping, I've got all the information I need. But literally she was here 10 minutes or less thought quick appointments were a bad thing hopefully not. Am on CB ESA also so I am praying for the support group

Edited by Beddz

Was just wondering my metal health report that I sent in as extra supporting evidence to ATOS was not looked at by the HCP before my assessment. Does this evidence they have go to the decision maker now??? Im just worried about it not even being looked at as I did send in the report way before my assessment date, yet the HCP still didn't read through it

Edited by Beddz

Everything goes to the decision maker, but they are unlikely to decide anything other than what the assessment report recommends.

Try to stop worrying as there's nothing you can do now until you get the decision.

RMW