lowells asking me to confirm security after "Prove it" email above mobile debt they own

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3606 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all :)

Had a few lovely threatograms from Lowell Group regarding a Mobile Contract claiming just over £200.00 and have ignored them.

Having checked Credit Reference Agencies etc I concluded that the debt was frivolous and nothing to do with me at all (No entries from the Lowell Group and no entries from that mobile company either)

Oddly enough I have accounts with the Mobile Company they sent the letter from which are all being serviced correctly (Including one I have a credit balance on)

So I sent Lowell an email basically asking them to "Prove it or do one!" :madgrin::lol:

Had an email back from them as follows:

Dear Mr Shark,

Before I can proceed in full please confirm the following for security purposes;

Full name

First line of address and postcode

Date of birth

In the meantime I await to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Fleecers

Customer Services Lowell Group

Interesting...!

They've written to me with the Mobile Account Number, Outstanding Balance, They know my address, They know my name... So why are they asking me for that information when they clearly have it all and can write to me and give the account information.

I am tempted to write back as follows:

Dear Chancers,

As per your questions from you previous email I have the following information:

My full name as written on the postal letter you sent me is:

Mr Shark,

The address you have sent the letter to with Lowell Reference Number is:

My Date of Birth was:

A Sunday around 20 years ago... I can't remember what I had for lunch an hour ago... How can I be expected to remember an unfortunate event that happened 20+ years ago?

Cheers then.

Shark

:lol::whoo:

Hmmm perhaps not... But in all seriousness, are they trying to fill in the blanks? Should I ignore the email? Or should I just wait for the inevitable Carter letters and defend a theoretical claim?

Thanks All.

Nuke :)

This is how I spend most of my life :ranger:

better to write

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Funnily enough, I think they may just making sure that DPA is being adhered to but as ever with a DCA they dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo like a data harvest!

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

How about:

Dear Sirs

I am at a loss to understand your email dated xxxxxx.

The FCA guidance on debt collection is quite clear that you should not demand money if you are not certain as to the identity of the debtor. You have demanded money from me, and yet you are now asking me to verify my identity.

I therefore require you to either provide me with a proper answer to my correspondence, or to cease pestering me.

Yours etc.

In the past I have found that when communicating by email Lowell will not discuss anything from an "un registered " email address . It is always best to put it in writing although oddly they will answer even with a digital signature. Of course they could just answer by post to the address they have on file but that mans using a brain cell and they are from Yorkshire after all

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

they are from Yorkshire after all

So am I, and whilst I understand that it must be very disappointing for you to be born elsewhere, you shouldn't tar us all with the same brush! Think on, lad. :)

In any case, I don't think that Lowell's ineptitude is other than entirely representative of the debt collection industry across the country.

Oh dear SP, I can think of worse places to be born than Yorkshire but not many , you are all well balanced though , chips on both shoulders lol. :peep: Of course I have a particular dislike of some people who emigrated from a worse place to the Leeds area ...cryptic or what. It's been a long time since I were called a lad so ta very much m'duck

I do agree , I think Lowells would be the same wherever they were based

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Thanks for all the replies folks. I sent the email similar to what ScarletPimpernel suggested and have received the following response

Dear Mr Shark,

Thank you for your reply.

I completely understand the comments provided but unfortunately without confirmed security checks I am unable to proceed.

This information is required to ensure I am communicating with the account holder, of which I can also assure you that I am only here to help.

Kind regards,

The Chancers

Perhaps write a letter to them now asking them to prove it?

Email back saying that you believe this to be a frivolous claim and deny any knowledge of the account. Whilst you were prepared to assist them by looking at anything that they sent to you for example, in case some company was attempting to charge for services not provided. In this instance you are unable to provide them with any further information.

Well I've probably just kicked the hornets nest thanks to your suggestion 2Grumpy... Your name inspired me to write the following:

Dear Debt Collectors.

Thanks for your reply.

As per my previous email. I have explained that there is no record of this account on any of my credit files with the 3 major credit reference agencies. I DO NOT acknowledge this account/debt and ultimately I am now treating this as a baseless and frivolous claim.

With all due respect and forgive me for sounding slightly rude here, Lowell Group was quite able to write to my address to demand nearly £250 and supply some account details which I deem to be of a confidential nature. Yet to discuss the matter you require me to supply further confidential details. I am not at all comfortable with this procedure.

Infact, using this procedure, I could write to you at your home address and demand £250 for an account you don't recognise and don't even owe without providing proof?!! Ah but that would be Fraud wouldn't it... That's why I'm treating this claim as frivolous... I have not received the slightest form of proof!!

Ever seen the film Identity Theft? Starring Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateham in 2013? If not, perhaps watch the first 10 minutes to see what I'm trying to get at............

I was quite prepared to discuss this account and assist you to bring this matter to an amicable closure in good faith. But without any proof that I owe the described funds I cannot and will not assist any further.

Until I receive some valid documentation that I am indeed the account holder, I won't be discussing this matter any further and am disputing the account in its entirety. Please remember that Financial Conduct Authority Guidelines make it abundantly clear that the burden of proof is on the claimant and NOT the defendant. This is NOT an admission of liability and I once again I do not acknowledge this debt or account.

[i would quote the exact guidelines reference but CrossCountry Trains WiFi is awful and it's taken me 30 minutes to download all my emails! I blame the tunnels...]

Thanks for taking the time to read this email. I am considering this matter closed.

Kind Regards,

Mr. Shark

Hmmm... I guess I need to stand away from the fan when that awful brown stuff hits it... :violin::madgrin:

Well since the above, Lowells have written to me with a letter with the following extract:

Not word for word as I don't have the letter to hand:

You recently contacted us with a query on this account; As we have not heard from you we believe the matter to be resolved

This of course is complete nonsense.

I have contacted them, just not given them the answer they wanted to hear... :madgrin:

I have since checked my Credit Files and discovered there to be a search from Lowell Group on my Experian Report,

searching addresses all the way back to 2008... Some nice data mining there folks... :-x

However there is NO Default from Lowell or the mobile telco on there. :whoo:

Nor has there been any in my previous reports or in the "Accounts settled" section. So still convinced it's a baseless debt.

The best part is they also offered to reduce the debt by 20% and would mark the Default on my credit file as Partially Satisfied... :violin:

Except there is no default for them to mark as such to begin with! :jaw:

Suggestions.

I'm thinking of sending an email to ask them to which default they are referring to marking Partially Satisfied under the 20% reductiion.

Or just inviting them to sue me in court and submit my credit files and a defence of baseless claim.

Of course I don't want to kick a hornets nest and wasps nest at the same time... But I would certainly be comfortable with wasting their time. Especially as they are wasting mine!

Ok. So I finally got fedup with Lowell ignoring my requests for proof considering no defaults on my credit files that I decided to phone them up. I recorded the phone call of course.

The lady I spoke to asked me to confirm security details and I decided to give some incorrect answers including an incorrect date of birth... :jaw:

She continued with the call and provided sensitive account information including where the contract was taken out and when the default occurred etc.

Time to complain to the ICO/FCA/Trading Standards?

Nuke :)

Oh that is priceless !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D