Used printer (and ink?) from major online retailer ***Resolved***

DD maker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a 'used' printer I bought recently from a major online retailer.

There were a number of printers of the same model advertised with separate 'add to basket' buttons. Icons next to each printer indicated which were fully functional and came with all accessories, software, manuals etc. Text description for some of the printers stated that no ink cartridges were supplied, others stated 'Customer return - item has been opened but is in excellent condition'.

I purchased one of the printers whose icons indicated it was fully functional with all accessories etc, the text didn't state that no ink cartridges were included (printers 'new' come with ink cartridges and I inferred that as some printers were advertised as without cartridges that the one I selected would come with cartridges).

Imagine my dismay when the printer arrived without ink!!

I emailed them on the same day I received the printer to arrange for an RMA stating there were no ink cartridges and the printer was no longer wanted. They have issued an RMA but now want to charge me return postage costs under DSR (they state it is as goods were unwanted) however I have disputed this as I believe they should accept the printer back under DSR (not as described) an SOGA (not functional). I called them and they have stated that nowhere in the description or specifications do they advertise the printer as coming with ink (the manufacturer's website states ink is included in new product).

Any suggestions as to my next step(s) or am I being unreasonable?

DD maker

Hi,

I think you will be on to a loser here. Just because there was nothing stating that there would be no ink cartridges, this also does not 'infer' that there will be as it is a used printer.

Also, you have stated that it is not wanted so that is their get out.

Why not get some remanufactured cartridges. A damn sight cheaper.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Why not get some remanufactured cartridges. A damn sight cheaper.

I could buy some remanufactured ones but didn't think it would be necessary straight away, I wouldn't want the retailer to try and use that as an excuse (non original cartridges) if there were any future issues with the printer

DD maker

Hi DD

Dabs advertising is hit and miss, you can sometimes find the same product on their website at different prices, so they ain't great at accuracy or updating stuff on their website. DABS is part of the BT Group. There is no reason why you can't complain.

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened (purchased printer, didn't have cartridge), how they have let you down (advertising some with-out cartridges but not all) and what you want them to do (full refund + return costs).

Send it to:

Mr Richard Lowe

Chief Executive

DABS.COM

[email protected]

Hi rebel11,

Would you suggest that I return the printer against the RMA that has been issued or store the printer safely until this is resolved (the RMA is only valid for about another week), I'm concerned that I may run out of time and the RMA will expire leaving me no option for its return.

DD maker

Hi DD

I would send it back using the RMA, then it's just a case of getting the Return costs back.If you think they have misrepresented the product, then lodge a complaint with the ASA.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

Hi rebel11,

Would you suggest that I return the printer against the RMA that has been issued or store the printer safely until this is resolved (the RMA is only valid for about another week), I'm concerned that I may run out of time and the RMA will expire leaving me no option for its return.

• 2 weeks later...

So, update time.

Printer was collected by their nominated carrier and full refund has now been processed back to my payment method.

Thanks all for your input.

DD maker