Chasing me for CT I don't owe at an address I don't live at

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lived with a friend about 5 years ago. I was on council tax benefits, he wasn't. The council are now chasing me for £400 because they can't find my friend. I'm no longer in contact with him and don't know where he is.

Because they don't know where I live, they had a liability order issued without my knowledge to my PARENTS address, even though I don't live with my parents and haven't since I was a teenager.

My parents are now being threatened with bailiffs. I've explained to the council that I do not live at my parents property and they're simply forwarding mail to me. They say they'll make a note but then they keep sending letters to my parents home.

I don't know whether to give them my address or if I'm even liable? I'm on ESA and DLA, need round the clock care and have to pay bedroom tax, I can't afford to pay a debt that belongs to someone else.

Can the bailiffs do anything at my parents home even though I don't live there?

You are liable and will always remain so. Avoiding payment puts you into the 'won't pay' category and that is a prisonable offence.

Contact the council and give them your address but not until they have agreed a payment plan with you.

The bailiffs can do nothing and cannot take anything.