London bus fare unpaid - lost Oyster ***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I’m new so please do forgive me if I don’t do things quite right to start!

I need some help and advice and I know there are some wise people over here.

Yesterday I travelled on the train into London and used my Oyster card for the journey.

I then got on a bus in London with enough pre-pay credit on my card to take me to my final destination.

The bus was really busy and the front doors were already closed, so

I was at the tail end of the crowd boarding via the middle doors.

I couldn’t get to the Oyster machine to touch in (nor could others, I would assume).

When I went get my Oyster to touch in (before the stop at which I planned to leave the bus)

I realised my travel wallet with not only my Oyster card but other important bits wasn’t in my pocket.

I panicked and began to look in my bag and to my horror I saw a ticket inspector boarding the bus.

I spoke to a second inspector who was on the vehicle and

told him that I couldn’t find my wallet and that I needed to get off the bus.

The inspector was very brusque and unsympathetic

(I can understand this to a point, as he must deal with lots of people without tickets but with excuses!).

He got off of the bus with me and I told him what had happened

but he barely listened and started to take my details.

I was very polite and gave him all he asked for, he seemed to think my address wasn’t correct (it was)

and thankfully I had on me some post with my address on it.

I asked if I needed to pay a penalty (as my bank card was in my travel wallet)

but he just said no and that I would receive a letter in the next few days.

I asked what the letter would tell me but he was in a hurry to go

and didn’t really explain anything at all.He had an electronic hand-held device

and I saw the words irregular travel (or similar) on it but nothing more.

He didn't take any kind of statement nor did he ask me to sign anything at all.

I asked for a reference number but he said it doesn't work like that

and I just needed to wait for 'The Letter'.

I have clearly been googling furiously and while I know Dr Google can’t predict the future

it looks like I am going to be receiving a court summons which, frankly,scares me witless!

I know I have to wait for the letter to see what it brings but I am going on holiday next week

and so really need to be prepared to send a response at short notice.

It was not my intention to avoid my fare, I had credit on my card which I’d used for the other part of my journey

but I also accept the fact that it was my responsibility to check in and I didn’t,

but circumstances prevented me from doing so.

Does it seem likely that I will be receiving a summons?

Do they ever send penalty fares through the post after the event?

Can anyone tell me what might happen next?

I am very, very worried about this (can you tell?!)

Hi Sue

Welcome to CAG

Try not to worry. Things seem a lot worse then they actually are. Have you checked with TLF to see if it's been handed in? If you had credit cards / debit cards make sure you cancel them.

TLF can track you Oyster Journey from when and where the card was last used, so that should tie up with your summary of what happened. I believe that is what the letter they send out will request. It will no doubt have a serious tone. It will give you a date to respond by.

If you have to go away, send them an email stating that you will be away from and you will respond on your return as you want to tell them what happened (that's if you don't receive the letter before you leave).

And please stop doing this, 'I am very, very worried about this (can you tell?!'

I'm sure Industry experts will post further info in due course.

When you get the letter, post details here, so you can be advised further.

• Confused 1

Thanks very much for responding, rebel11. I have cancelled my bank card and reported the loss to TFL and South Eastern, as they operate the mainline station.I've also printed off a copy of my journey history from that Oyster card. I haven't cancelled the Oyster card as there was only a small amount of money on it and I thought I'd rather lose a couple of pounds that than not have access to my journey details in case I need them (hopefully not in court!!!).If I am given a chance I will send the history and lost property references to the sender of 'The Letter' ...maybe?Is 'The Letter' likely to be a formal one asking for my side of the story or might it be a summons or a penalty fare? Does it make any difference that the inspector didn't make notes for me to sign?I received a penalty fare from a train company before but that was because I accidentally left my monthly season ticket at home, and I sent a copy of the ticket and got a nice letter and a cheque refunding me the penalty. From what I've read TFL seem to be very hot on prosecuting people and to not only have lost money, my cards and been worrying lots but I can't bear the thought of a criminal record for having lost my wallet in transit.I'm probably panicking somewhat as the inspector simply wasn't very nice. I don't know what I really expected but he did nothing to put my mind at rest or explain what will happen to me. Thanks again

Edited by SueDenim

Hi sue

They will want your side of the story before they do anything, please stop panicking. If you feel that the Ticket Inspector was overly aggressive or deliberately unhelpful, then you can complain about that. Just remember friendly isn't part of their job description, they do a difficult job and have to take a lot of rubbish.

Thanks again, he wasn't overly aggressive but he wasn't helpful in explaining what would happen to me. I totally understand that it's a tough job but I wasn't in any way difficult, if anything I was in a bit of a state!

I understand, you wanted more information at the time, but it wasn't forth coming.

Thanks again, he wasn't overly aggressive but he wasn't helpful in explaining what would happen to me. I totally understand that it's a tough job but I wasn't in any way difficult, if anything I was in a bit of a state!

I spoke to the penalty fares people who told me they weren't handling my case as it's being handled under an MG11. So I'm to expect a letter asking for a statement in the next few days.

Guess all I can do is tell it as it happened.

Any tips?

Hi Sue

Tell them when you started off on your journey on the day in question, you had your Oyster Card. You used it on the train journey as their records will show.

Their records will also show that there was sufficient credit on the Oyster Card for the bus journey. Explain that the doors at the front were closed and as other passengers were using the middle doors so you did too. Explain that you tried to get to the front to touch the Oyster terminal, but you couldn't move for the number of people at the front, explain at that point you believed you still had the Oyster Card.

Explain that you only realized that you had lost your Oyster Card, plus other cards when you tried to touch the Oyster Terminal as most of the passengers at the front of the bus had dispersed. Explain the Revenue Inspector appeared. Explain what the Revenue Inspector said etc. You can send the Oyster History print out and lost property reference numbers.

Explain you reported your cards lost, you have proof.

Lets see if we can get some input from the industry guys.

An MG11 is a witness report.

I spoke to the penalty fares people who told me they weren't handling my case as it's being handled under an MG11. So I'm to expect a letter asking for a statement in the next few days.

Guess all I can do is tell it as it happened.

Any tips?

It was one of the London buses where you can board through either set of doors and as I had to run for it the only set of doors open for boarding was the back set (with a crowd getting in that way).

I got a letter this morning, the relevant bit reads:

"You were reported to TFL for failing to produce a valid ticket, pass or photo card for your journey on a bus. The facts of this incident are being considered and I must advise you that legal proceedings may be taken against you in accordance with TFL's prosecution policy.

If you have any comments to make about this incident please write them on the reverse side of this letter and return the whole letter in the free post envelope provided within 10 days."

Ridiculously worried still. I try to keep thinking this isn't the end of the world but it feels like it is. I'm such a wimp who has never been in any trouble at all.

It was one of the London buses where you can board through either set of doors and as I had to run for it the only set of doors open for boarding was the back set (with a crowd getting in that way).

The new type double decker?

I would not worry to much, sounds like a genuine mistake.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

Thanks, Rambo. It was a single decker rather than the new route master bus.

Still very concerned but always good to hear there is hope that they might not throw the book at me. Just worried that although my reason is truthful and valid they've probably heard every excuse in the book and treat people accordingly.

There aren't many tales of hope on the Internet when it comes to TFL and prosecutions.

Hi Sue

Time to respond to them. The post in 18 is a pretty good outline as to your response (also read post 19).

The letter needs to be amended, change TOC to TLF. Also change 'Railway Byelaws and/or the National Rail Conditions of Carriage' to 'Transport for London Conditions of Carriage'.

You can add or amend the following paragraphs after the second paragraph in post 18:-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your records will show that there was sufficient credit on the Oyster Card for the bus journey. The doors at the front were closed and as other passengers used middle doors, I did too. I tried to get to the front to touch the Oyster touch terminal, but I couldn't move for the number of people at the front, at that point I believed I still had my Oyster Card.

I realized that I had lost my Oyster Card, plus other cards when I tried to touch the Oyster Terminal as most of the passengers at the front of the bus had dispersed. The Revenue Inspector appeared I searched for my Oyster card but could not find it.

I enclose a copy of my Oyster card history and lost property reference numbers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can consider changing the following paragraph if you want to:-

'I would respectfully ask that in light of the above, this matter may be concluded by covering any administrative costs you may have incurred from my actions.'

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387031-Lost-weekly-travel-card

Let us know how you get on and calm down.

Just some reading:- https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/conditions-of-carriage.pdf

I got a letter this morning, the relevant bit reads:

"You were reported to TFL for failing to produce a valid ticket, pass or photo card for your journey on a bus. The facts of this incident are being considered and I must advise you that legal proceedings may be taken against you in accordance with TFL's prosecution policy.

If you have any comments to make about this incident please write them on the reverse side of this letter and return the whole letter in the free post envelope provided within 10 days."

Ridiculously worried still. I try to keep thinking this isn't the end of the world but it feels like it is. I'm such a wimp who has never been in any trouble at all.

Hi there, once again, big thanks rebel11. I've been busy writing my response and your reply has helped me lots.

To clarify, rear boarding is permitted on the bus, so I honestly didn't do anything wrong there. Just the fact that my ticket wasn't in my pocket. I wish it had been the other way round and the doors I boarded on were the problem!

I'm going to send my response by post and also email it and my other docs to ensure it gets there. I'm also going to include a cheque for the full cash fare for the journey. I've also included my reference from the Police lost property and TFL lost property and my Oyster statement.

All I'm missing is the pound of flesh..!

Feeling more calm as I've been able to do something about it (albeit only write a letter). I'm more of a do'er than a waiter. It's also thanks to your wise counsel. Honestly very grateful for your sage advice and your time.

Edited by SueDenim

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update, I got a letter from TFL saying they're not taking the matter further.

Very relieved. Will Sellotape my Oyster to my hand in future. I'd be first in the queue for an embedded chip..!

Thanks again for the help and advice.