ADVANTIS threatening court action over old virgin 'debt'

pharvard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

So I'll make it simple if I can.

- Advantis sent a letter to me about a month ago requesting payment of £107 for an outstanding bill with Virgin Media that I had a couple of years ago. I ignored it. I thought I'd see what happens.

- When they thought it was appropriate to call me at work in the middle of the day stating who they were to a colleague I thought enough is enough (like Barbra did). They told me via this phone call that they would send another letter. They did, this time with the threat: NOTICE OF INTENT TO COMMENCE DEBT COLLECTION ACTION. :-D Scurry stuff I think you'll agree.

- I thought I'd give Virgin Media a call to confirm this amount. The gentleman I spoke to was extremely helpful and indeed confirmed the amount I owe.

- I asked Virgin Media if I could pay them. They said no because they had sold it on to Advantis who I now have to pay. :x Groan.

- I have no issue with paying this money. The issue I do have is with this company, Advantis who I picture as working from a trailer parked at the side of a road somewhere. After reading all of your posts and threads on them I really do not want to have to hand over any money to them because I don't trust them to be quite honest. Also the outstanding amount of £107 is still listed with Virgin Media on my credit report. I am concerned that if I did pay Advantis then it would still show on my credit report as defaulted. Like, I just get the feeling nothing would happen. I've worked in a cold calling sales company before and I know exactly what happens in all of these types of companies.

So that's where I am at the moment. Can you guys suggest anything or do you think I should just pay Advantis and be done with it? If so, after paying Advantis should I contact Virgin Media to get the credit file default removed or changed to settled or will this automatically happen.

Any advice would by much appreciated. Or if you have had the same experience then I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thanks guys

If the debt is still listed on your Credit Reference File as owned by Virgin Media, you have not been sent a Notice of Assignment (N.O.A.) then Virgin Media still own the account.

Does the letters you receive from Advantis still refer to "their client"?

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

That means that Virgin still own the debt and Advantis are collecting on behalf of Virgin for a commission.

Is any of this £107 charges or either a contract or early disconnection fee?

Stigman

Edited by Stigman
Too many "is's" / one day I will learn English :)

NEVER telephone a DCA

Hey again,

Wow, you are being very helpful today! Ok, here's what went down.

I was living in shared accommodation.

We were each responsible for paying a bill.

I had virgin, another person had the gas etc etc.

the Virgin was obviously in my name and I paid it each month and I think it was either a year or two year contract.

So there came a point where the house became so unclean that mice had begun to inhabit the kitchen

and my bedroom at night and as the landlord was unwilling to do anything about it

and the other people wouldnt pitch in with cleaning chores I just packed up and left one day.

Because I moved in with my parents to get myself back up and running I kind of knew that the Virgin was still owing

and that I probably needed to contact them to let them know what happened but y'know, life kinda just got in the way, as it does,

and I forgot about it. Until last month.

So here I am with this £107 owing which like I said I have no issues with paying as it's a debt I owe

but I really would rather not give it to Advantis.

Can you convince me otherwise and that it's OK to pay these guys or suggest any action I can take to protect myself

and ensure its also removed off my credit file.

Does this help you further? I hope so.

OK,

How long ago are we talking about?

Before paying anything to anyone, I would contact Virgin and ask for a complete breakdown of charges, they own the debt so they can either tell you or send it to you.

Paying back what you owe, no problem but paying inflated charges then yes, so get full clarification on what is owed not just a bulk figure.

Until then, do not part with any money.

Ignore the idle threats from Advantis, they cannot do nothing to you because they are only collecting on behalf of, so therefore they have no powers.

Stigman

• Confused 1

NEVER telephone a DCA

Again, I appreciate your assistance on this matter very much.

It's about 2 years old now.

I will do as you have advised and go from there. I will also keep this thread updated.

Thank you,

Hi Pharvard

Welcome to CAG

Stig is partially right that they are collecting on behalf off and half no rights,

Advantis are a tame DCA that are just trash along with most other DCAs, (MMF, Mack Hall, BPO, etc)

Ignore for now and continue on at Virgin, ask them to retract it from Advantis etc

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

you wont get it removed from your cra file

if it has a default.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...