• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I specifically searched and joined this to find out information.

I have done a terrible thing but to me it wasn't a problem until now all because something come up last week

I had to use my money for something else.

Well first of all,

I got 6 items in total from bright house.

But most of the items I no longer have, as I sold them to get money.

I know I shouldn't have done it and now deeply regret doing it because,

something come up last week where I had to use my money on something else.

Long story short,

I called them up because I realized that I was going to have difficulties paying this week.

But sadly, I quickly found out, that they were not helpful at all, or in the least flexible

when I told them I had problems meeting last weeks payment (yesterday was the deadline),

although I explained this, they still went on about paying before closing time on Saturday.

Furthermore, I was also told I am now going to have a fine for about 80 pounds, for paying late

...and just to make it even worse, they told me I can not just pay this coming weeks money I would have to pay the fine first.

Well to be honest there is no chance that is going to happen as I only get 70 pounds this week

and I need half of it to buy food to survive until next week.

I suppose the point really is, if it weren't for this over the top late payment fine,

I Would be able to catch up on the payments I missed by next week and everything would be all back in place again.

But unfortunately because of this late payment charge and the fact they want that first,

makes it impossible for me to pay them anything.

So I know the next step, they will come to my door to retrieve the goods back.

But like I said I do not have most of them anymore, so what happens now?

IS it possible I could get prison time for selling the goods?

Or will I get charged with theft?

Well the thing is, I am quite disappointed that they were like talking to a brick wall when I told them I could not make payment,

and then when I explained how I would catch up on the payments they insisted that I would have to pay the fine first..well to be honest,

this awkwardness makes me not want to pay them another penny anyway.

It is either my way or the highway in my opinion, they haven't accepted my way, so it is the high way. (of course)

In saying all this,

I have to be honest I am quite concerned exactly what is going to happen now as I said I have sold most of the goods,

I sold them on gum tree and there is absolutely no way of retrieving them or even tracing them.

So that idea is out.

Anyone any suggestions?

has any one any idea what will happen to me now?

they are not bailiffs and have no legal powers to enter nor seize goods

the 'fines' are unlawful penalty charges and can be reclaimed.

go reclaim all the DLC and OSC you have paid all these years too.

have a read in this forum.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You won't get any prison time even if they decide to take you to court. It is theft so you could get a criminal record, but basically, all taking you to court will achieve is absolutely nothing, so very unlikely to happen unless they can't get any payments from you and then they can ask the court to order you to pay.

Please don't call it a fine, only courts can fine, they are as dx has said, penalty charges so you can claim them back and if they refuse, it will be your turn to threaten them with court.

Thanks a lot both,

I was mostly worried about a prison sentence,

I seriously couldn't cope with that and other people finding that out.

But yes I have had a look around and discovered that the charges aren't really fines,

as that is a legal term and they are not a court, they are just a shop.

They haven't called me yet (bright house) but

last time I spoken to them, I did tell them I would be in touch on Wednesday..

.so what I am planning to do is wait and they will probably call me on Thursday and then just tell them,

the reason why I want to wait until the is because on Wednesday I am having some people at my home (visitors)

and I would prefer that bright house don;t come near my door until after Wednesday.

I was going to try and avoid them for 90 days as I read that after 90 days bright house just hand the debt to a debt collector.

But I realized it is probably best to tell them and say that I will have to pay a reduced amount

and I realize I can only do that once it has been handed to a debt collector.

But the problem really is I know in advance that conversation is not going to go well with bright house.

It is weird as feel mostly bad because I kind of got to know the people there a wee bit, like just chit chat,

so it is a bit embarrassing, although I know I put myself into this mess. i can't blame anyone else.

what about dlc & OSC reclaiming?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They can not simply fine you or anyone

You need to look at ways to clear this debt and get rid your life of this bullying company

Reclaiming will be a good start

If they turn up on your door stepell them to go and play with the traffic and leave your property

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Guest Ann-Marie at BrightHouse

Hi Bootsoots

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing financial difficulties.

Please be assured that, at BrightHouse, we appreciate that our customers’ circumstances may change at any time. In order to make our customers experience with BrightHouse as smooth as possible; we take each customers circumstances into consideration and are committed to assisting all customers through any financial difficulties.

Can you please give our Customer Relations Department a call on 0800 526069 or send me your contact details to [email protected] and I will see what we can do to assist you.

Please keep the thread updated with any news.

Kind Regards

Ann-Marie

Web Relations Team

Anne Marie,

Funny enough I googled earlier and found that number.

I was honestly quite concerned but actually I Was quite surprised how helpful they were considering I sold their goods.

The lady actually eventually transferred me to the store manager at my branch

and I actually spoken to him..so

I am going in on Saturday with a payment and the store manager is doing a re write,

and if I have any problems again I have to talk to him.

So it all seems ok now.

I was quite annoyed about this 80 pounds charge and on Saturday when I go into the store

I am going to find out if I am paying this Optional service cover.

I have paid about 58 weeks to my first item so I was concerned that rewrite means that the whole thing resets

and you have to start paying everything again from scratch but I asked it doesn't seem to mean that.

But I don't seem to have anything to worry about now regarding this.

I know how insane this will sound,

I wonder if in the future does this mean I will never be able to get anything from them again

because I sold the items?

Because I still want a playstation 4 at one point, but I wouldn't be selling that.

My problem is I just keep wanting stuff, it is not stuff I really need,

so I eventually just sold those other items.

DX100,

I know what OSC is, optional service cover but I do not know what DLC is?

Something, something cover?

I need to find all this out to see if I can bring down my weekly payments at all.

I do still have the bedroom furniture, I am thinking of handing that back although I have broken the mirror.

But this means I would have to keep all my clothes in black bags until I was able to get it replaced

but at least it would bring my weekly outgoings down by 12 pounds..but phew,

I am not going to prison, I couldn't cope in a place like that for a day.

I just checked I have paid more than half of my PC now..

which was the first item I got from them,

another year more or less and that is that finished with.

The first lady I spoken to today I told her that I would prefer it went to a debt collector,

she was very helpful but she did say if it went to a debt collector your interest would just go up and up.

But I have to say although I know she was VERY helpful,

I am pretty sure this is utter rubbish,

the interest would freeze if it went to a debt collector.

.I suppose I am happy enough with the outcome though.

After all I did sign up for the stuff.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?313858-Reclaim-OSC-DLC-info-here

as for the rewrite

i'd not go with that

as the bogus insurances are written in as compulsory.

dx

and they

Morning,

I just wanted to clarify that a re-write does not mean that any monies paid on the agreement will be lost. It is simply that the arrears will be placed onto the back of the agreement.

With a re-write, the terms and conditions of the agreement do not change at any point.

Thanks

Ann-Marie

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Anne Marie from Bright house,

I have a question I would love to know the answer to.

It is regarding the charge they said I was going to get.

Well, they told me if I did not pay that weeks amount by closing time on that Saturday, I would have to pay 80 pounds.

Which of course to me was pretty extortionate as at the time I was only going to be a couple of days late..

But the point is,

if I had paid this 80 pounds "late payment" charge,

where does that money actually go?

As far as I know it would not have went towards the items that "I had".

So where would that 80 pounds have gone?

ask because I have actually paid this 80 pounds in the past.

At the time I rushed/panicked to try and get this money.

my mum and dad live quite far away it took me 2 buses to get there

and a total of 4 and a bit hours round trip..to get this 80 pounds,

but today I have been thinking...wow..they are so helpful now

and not even mentioned this 80 pounds again.

. then I thought.

..hmm I wonder if the staff at bright house just share this money between themselves?

Actually I know I signed the dotted line etc but from what I have read this charge is actually illegal

and also illegal for them to take the stuff from your home..

Today I let them take away the bedroom furniture..

now all my clothes are in black bags until I can afford to replace these items..

but at least my weekly out goings are going to be down a bit.

So that is probably best.

But with the interest I am paying on the other items which I no longer have is actually insane..

I found the exact same phone on little woods at £490,

you can pay it up there interest free,

yet the same thing with bright house, they are listing the cash price as £837.81,

which is a lot more than the phone costs anywhere else

BEFORE THEY EVEN ADD INTEREST,

the total you pay for it is actually £1,352.00 for a phone worth £490 pounds. that is actually robbery.

As I say I know I went in there on my own accord, and I knew in advance they were bad for interest

but to be honest I was scared to look at the time and just wanted the items

but today I just looked on the site..and realize how bad/insane it actually is..

I wish I had the other items or else I would just hand them back and get away that truly is daylight robbery..

That is soo bad.

But I wonder happens with the late payment charges?

Where does that money actually go?

Good Morning Bootsoots

Our late fees cover administration costs that we incur when an account isn’t paid by the date it is due.

A late fee is applied to the missed payment once; it is not applied again for any additional missed weeks.

Our prices are listed on our website and we’re very open about them. Price comparisons with other high street retailers are not comparable due to the comprehensive “5 Star Service” package included within our cash prices. Extensive research and customer feedback has shown that customers like our prices and welcome our simple rent-to-own package in which all elements of our “5 Star Service” are included.

Since 2nd September 2013, prices have included our “5 Star Service” package.

Please click on the link below and click on what's included in the 5* service for more information.

http://www.brighthouse.co.uk/faqs/

You have mentioned that you are paying intrest on items that you no longer have....

I am unsure why you would be doing this so would like to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Customer Relations Department on 0800 526069 and I will be happy to speak to you about this.

Kind Regards

Ann-Marie

Web Relations Team

The late fees are a penalty fee and can be reclaimed. Ignore bh's rubbish about them. They have no justification and they exist purely as profit for bh.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 1 year later...
Hi I've in the same situation at the moment I've been in my local store and explained my situation they have done a re wright but I've tried explaing to them that it is still slightly more than we can afford what can I do thanks

please start a new thread

of your own

and they