Damaged Cooker on delivery!!!

dave748
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of an issue with a cooker I received from curry's that was damaged on delivery.

Me and my other half have been saving for a new kitchen ever since we moved into out new house 2 years ago.

To get the money together I have voluntarily served long periods in some very dangerous and unsavoury locations around the world

and Sarah my girlfriend whom I bought the house with has been working every hour that she can.

It's taken us two years to finally afford to have it done the way we want it,

in this day and age we felt very lucky to have been able to save enough money for it having worked so hard with no holidays for 2 years.

the day came we found an excellent well established local carpenter with all the fully qualified professional contacts

we need to get it all done with all the correct paper work for the works been carried out.

In excitement and anticipation for the fitting we ordered quite a few items from on-line retailers, the cooker and hub from Curry's.

All seamed to go well, kitchen install looks stunning, the last two items to go in were the cooker and dishwasher.

Now I was aware that I had 7 days to inspect the goods and report any damage,

when the cooker arrived I did notice the packaging had a broken piece of wood,

I thought nothing of it at the time it was just a piece of wood.

I removed the packaging and looked around the oven to make sure it was OK.

Not been in anyway a qualified professional in the field of household appliances I could see nothing wrong.

Also not being on anabolic steroids and built like a professional power lifter

I couldn't exactly lift the 140Kg+ free standing cooker out of the packaging to see near the bottom to check for damage so I just assumed it was fine.

On the last day of the kitchen install the final appliance to go in was the cooker,

it took 4 young 6ft plus manual labouring blokes to lift the thing out of the packaging.

The first to look at it was the electrician, a fully registered and qualified professional business owner.

He noticed that at the very bottom at the back the cooked had taken an obvious knock which looked like a folk lift had hit it.

It wasn't a huge dent but it was enough to warp some of the panels on the back and push one right in.

Because of the position it was in I would never have been able to see it without removing it completely from the packaging

which I would never have been able to do on my own.

The electrician said he wasn't happy to install it as there may be internal damage that could be potentially very dangerous

and possibly cause electrocution or a gas leak if used.

The news absolutely devastated us, my girlfriend fell to the floor in floods of tears at the news.

I got straight onto the phone to Curry's to explain the situation,

after eventually getting through the automated system I was put through to the company

who made the cooker who said because it was outside of the 7 days I had to go directly to Curries.

I got through to the customer services at Curries who after speaking to several of their representatives

and 5 phone calls later agreed to recover the item and inspect it to determine the cause of the damage.

Who inspects the damage?

is it an independent and unbiased company or just Curries them selves?

If so how is that fair to the customer?

I'm very worried they are going to try and get out of sending us a replacement,

I don't really want a refund I'm very happy with the make and model of the Cooker,

I just want what I paid for in a new condition undamaged condition.

The customer representative said on the phone if it was a cheaper product we wouldn't have had an issue,

I don't see what difference the price of an item makes,

if it's delivered damaged it should should be replaced no matter what the cost.

We haven't had a hot meal now for 2 weeks,

it starting to affect our physical and mental health from the stress and cold food,

can anyone advise me on anything I can do or say to them to hurry things along and get a replacement.

One thing we have done is report the fault within 21 days of receiving the product.

Any advice would be much appreciated and on another note I have full recordings of all phone conversations with Currys about this fault.

Thank you.

Dave

how did you pay?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

some debit cards give section 75 cover as well as chargeback

i'e they are poss responsible too.

however not sure.

ok

they will do the report as its under 6mts.

don't think you should have a problem.

if you ordered online

then you are covered by DSR rules too

http://dshub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/forcustomers

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I hope your right,

I know what these sort of companies are like, I had a good look through the DSR rules and it's a bit fuzzy what my rights are if I report the damage after the 7 days grace but before the 21 working days for reporting faults. Are they likely to dispute my claim because it was after the 7 days? What do I do if they somehow blame me for the damage and refuse to offer me a replacement even though I have no idea how you can possibly tell from looking at a dent how it was caused. I have absolutely no trust or confidence in them to do the decent thing and just saying "sorry, here is your replacement". If they do I will take it all back but because of the way they have been handling it so far I'm really panicking as I cant afford to pay for another and don't see why I should. It's not even like I don't have witnesses to the whole thing either, 3 carpenters, 2 electricians, 2 gas safe fitter's and me and my other half.

Guess I'll wait and see what they say and just hope for the best, no one should have to go through this sort of stress when paying this sort of money.

Don't correspond on the phone do it by recorded letter and keep a copy.

This is a Currys problem not the manufacturers even if the damage was done at the factory.

Currys are a crap company for customer service, it's always someone elses fault, never theirs.

As dx says, after asking Currys to replace it and them saying 'no', then chargeback.

Don't correspond on the phone do it by recorded letter and keep a copy.

This is a Currys problem not the manufacturers even if the damage was done at the factory.

Currys are a crap company for customer service, it's always someone elses fault, never theirs.

As dx says, after asking Currys to replace it and them saying 'no', then chargeback.

That would be fine if it was an appliance that I could live without for a while but I need this to be able to eat, don't really have time to wait for letters while we are starving and wasting away, not that I think Curry's will give a hoot about that.

Just got off the phone to my bank and I am covered by section 75 and chargeback so at least if all else fails I can proceed with that and buy the same cooker from elsewhere. I will never buy from Currys again after this and make sure no one else I know does either, it's not worth saving a few pounds for all this hassle and stress.

In that case, pop into Maplins today and get yourself a phone recorder. You will regret it if you don't have copies of your correspondences or conversations.

Like I said in the original post I have full recordings of all conversations with the company from the very beginning. I learnt that lesson before having dealt with similar problems like this in the past for elderly relatives.

Quite Happy,

Curry's picked up my damaged oven yesterday so

I just phoned them to find out what's going on,

they didn't give me any details on what happened

but it is confirmed that they are going to give us a full refund

which should be in the bank in a few days.

True to my word I take back all the bad stuff I said about them,

to a point, obviously receiving the product in a damaged condition in the first place

is not ideal but at least they are giving us a refund which I'm very happy about.

:whoo:

Only issue now is that, that particular model of oven is exclusive to Curry's

and our entire kitchen has been built and designed around the colour and dimensions of that oven,

I have no choice but to re-order it from Curry's which I would have preferred

to have avoided but this time I will be going over every inch of it in major detail the moment it arrives.

I'll keep this thread open for now in case anything else goes wrong with the new one.

Thank you all very much for your help in this matter, I will certainly make a donation.

:-)

well done dave

keep us updated

dx

and they

You should have stopped her when she was saying you will be refunded and said you want a replacement not a refund. You then could have asked for something as compensation, something like a Hoover or a Microwave. That would have only been pennies to them but a few quid to you.

Well done nonetheless.

You should have stopped her when she was saying you will be refunded and said you want a replacement not a refund. You then could have asked for something as compensation, something like a Hoover or a Microwave. That would have only been pennies to them but a few quid to you.

Well done nonetheless.

I see what your saying but given their track record I'll take the refund without fuss and consider myself lucky that it could have dragged on a lot longer and been a lot worse and just re-order but thanks for your help.