ESA Work Programme

Tigger2012
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Could anyone help me?

I saw the disability advisor on Wednesday at the job centre. She said it is mandatory that i go and attend the work programme.

I have Depression/Social Phobia/ Anxiety and OCD and suicidal thoughts.

The advisor was told of this by my mum as i do not go out alone, i do not answer the telephone or make calls or even open my letters. I do not talk to strangers, my mum spoke to this woman for me as i have extreme shyness.

I have suicidal thoughts daily about overdoseing on tablets which my GP knows about and has issued medication and has reffered me for counselling.

I am in the work related group but am appealing to be put in to the support group as the disabilty advisor said maybe its where i should be.

I have an appointment for the work programme on Monday 28th April, the letter asks me to bring a job seekers agreement and asks what kind of work am i looking for and how many hours in the last 4 weeks have i been preparing for interviews/ applied for jobs.

I have not been looking for work as every day is a struggle with these thoughts i get, just thinking about going to this appointment makes me want to jump infront of a train, I am due to see the GP on the same day about getting support and different medication.

What will happen if i do not go to the work programme appointment? I am going to get my mum to phone for me on Tuesday and explain to the advisor.

Thank you for helping me, Im worried sick and feel i would be better off not being here.

I have an appointment for the work programme on Monday 28th April, the letter asks me to bring a job seekers agreement and asks what kind of work am i looking for and how many hours in the last 4 weeks have i been preparing for interviews/ applied for jobs.

Doesn't sound like the correct wording for an appointment letter addressed to an ESA claimant - Can you post a scan of this letter with any/all personal information removed.

IF this is a correctly worded letter, then failure to attend could result in your ESA benefits being suspended for an unspecified period. But if they have sent you an incorrectly worded letter, you would have grounds to appeal. As you mention having to take a Job Seeker's Agreement along, I'm suspecting that they have used the wrong template.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Check your ESA award letter. If it's not recorded on your award letter then call the DWP and they should be able confirm your prognosis

I'm on WRAG with an 18 month prognosis and even though I have to attend WFI's I have never be mandated onto a work programme. Indeed my Job Centre Plus adviser has told my 18 month prognosis means I cannot be mandated

I hope it's not changed so check

cheers

Follow dx100uk's instructions in this post: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?422772-UKCPS-PCN-claimform-Help!&p=4519171&viewfull=1#post4519171

Don't need the JSA booklet, just the appointment letter with personal information blacked out.

Attachments unapproved please obscure delete identifiable data.

Regards

Andy

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Flagged the last two for moderation - You have your name showing.

The "pre-appointment action plan" can be ignored - It is not applicable to you as it clearly states "action to be taken by Job Seeker". You are an ESA claimant !

As for the appointment letter, it (almost) follows the DWP guidance for a mandatory ESA claimant appointment - It lacks a couple of paragraphs:

Please inform us immediately if you need a registered child carer, an interpreter or any other service in order to attend, this may be able to be arranged and your costs covered.

If you are unable to undertake this activity and wish to re-arrange for a future date, please contact me immediately.

The "Job Search Activity" can also be ignored - You can not be mandated to look for, or undertake employment - kinda makes one wonder if this outfit know the difference between a JSA and ESA claimant.

A couple more things letter doesn't mention - You are entitled to take someone along with you to this meeting. This could be a friend, family member, or support worker. I would strongly recommend you do go with someone to speak on your behalf and to take notes.

You are also entitled to travel expenses, so hang on to any bus/tube/train tickets and demand the money is refunded in full.

So i have to go although im appealing being in the WRAG group?

Unless you can get them to postpone the appointment in writing for an indefinite period, you should attend or risk losing your ESA payments. Sorry :sad:.

Even if you have an eighteen month prognosis, I'm sceptical that you can avoid any/all punitive sanctions for failing to attend.

One possible way of getting a postponement - Get your mum to ring them up and demand (not "ask", demand) that a private room is provided. Chances are, they won't have a suitable room available.

If and when you do attend, you are under no obligation to sign anything - If they try to get you to sign any consent forms or any other scrap of paper, stick your tongue out and politely decline.

Once conscripted, you are stuck with it for two years. However, you will not be expected to attend daily - The frequency of appointments is very much down to the "advisers" you have to meet with. For some people, this could be once a month, for others, one per year.

It sounds like you are a long way from being "job ready" so the provider will have little incentive to have much contact, so you could find that all you get is a phone call in three to six months asking how you are.

:Tigger2012:

From what you've written so far, I'm guessing that you weren't mandated to the work programme with Shaw Trust prior to your claim for employment n support and subsequent work capability assessment. If I've guessed correctly, you've been erroneously referred to the work programme as a jobseeker.

Jobcentreplus policy is that claimants of ESA or JSA aren't referred to the work programme pending the outcome of an appeal against a determination about limited capability for work. Which the disability employment adviser should have known.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/work_programme_guidance#incoming-413255

(Paragraph 48 of the 2nd attachment)

And even if the referral was valid, Shaw Trust shouldn't be asking you about jobseekers agreements or activity, cos as an employment n support claimant you can't be mandated to search for a job or undertake work experience.

The recommended interval before reassessment will be stated on the ESA85/85A report of your Atos assessment, which is available on request from your benefit delivery centre. Claimants with a recommendation of eighteen or twenty four months, can't be mandated to the work programme.

If I've guessed correctly, letter to your benefit delivery centre with a copy of the freedom of info response, for an explanation of why you've been referred to Shaw Trust. Best sent via recorded delivery. And copies of your letter and the freedom of info response to Shaw Trust.

But unfortunately, this isn't likely to get sorted before your appointment. A request for a private room may buy you a delay. A change of appointment time for a medical appointment that can't be rearranged (praps you need to see a particular doctor?) is usually considered reasonable. But unless you get written confirmation of cancellation/change, it's easier to front up than risk a sanction to your benefit and appeal number two. If you can't get out of this appointment in time, it's fine for your Mum to go with you and do the talking. Jobcentreplus have recently confirmed that claimants have a right to be accompanied to interviews by a representative.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/right_to_be_accompanied_at_jobce#incoming-490264

By definition, Jobcentreplus is a recipe for stress that you don't need, but we all have to get through as best we can. With the changed medication, and counselling, I hope you'll soon feel better able to cope.

Sincerely, Margaret. :panda: