changed provider and claim problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3653 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ALL

My bag containing my laptop and phone (and some other stuff) has just been knocked off the table

the screen on my phone has broken and also my laptop now doesn't work-

I do have home insurance

the problem is i changed to that provider literally 3 days ago haven't even made my first payment yet..

.. I have never made a claim for anything before and had a provider previously only changed for a better deal.

I cant afford to replace them myself and

i have checked and should be covered cant see where it wouldnt be.

Do i phone them anyway or do you think its pointless calling now as only been their customer 3 days

and if i was in their shoes would think it was extremely "fishy"

No problem claiming if you have accidental damage cover within the home for these items.

If you want to claim, I would suggest that you contact them ASAP and advise them that you will be having them checked locally to see if you can get them repaired cheaply, as with the policy excess it may not be worth claiming. Most Home Insurances have atleast a £100 excess and if you factor in future renewal premium increases of say 30% (guestimate) extra on what you paid for a couple of years, you will get an idea. Check on a repair first, as even if the repair is more than the excess, it may not be worth claiming.

You can probably get the phone screen replaced cheaply and as for the laptop, I doubt any serious damage has been caused. It may just be that a part has become loose and just needs to be put back.

Don't worry about the policy only being arranged recently and the first premium not being collected yet. If you were doing anything dodgy you might leave it for a few weeks before reporting a possible claim. For any claim event it is a good idea to report as soon as any damage has occured.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You don't say where the table was where the bag was dropped. If this was not in your home, you would need personal effects cover away from home.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

You don't say where the table was where the bag was dropped. If this was not in your home, you would need personal effects cover away from home.

There are some Insurers who will require personal possessions cover for this to be covered in the home

• Haha 1

There are some Insurers who will require personal possessions cover for this to be covered in the home

Yes, that is a good point for the OP to note.

Yes, that is a good point for the OP to note.

The table was my dining room table I do have personal coverage also. My excess is £50 and costs £75 ish to replace my phone screen (damn apple) also my laptop as it was dropped on the charger port and pushed in its soldered to my motherboard or was so not sure how good a repair will be.

Literally never claimed before can't believe I've had the policy a week and may have too!!

Don't worry, but on the flip side expect them to query the claim much more - it may be a good idea to have your previous policy details handy when you ring them, and acknowledge that you've just changed insurer, but you have had continuous insurance...

The table was my dining room table I do have personal coverage also. My excess is £50 and costs £75 ish to replace my phone screen (damn apple) also my laptop as it was dropped on the charger port and pushed in its soldered to my motherboard or was so not sure how good a repair will be.

Literally never claimed before can't believe I've had the policy a week and may have too!!

Insurers will always go with the cheapest option, which will probably be a repair. If you have to use the Insurers repair service, the damaged items will have to go to a company who do this, so you could be without them for a period.

Have you checked as to whether you have any other form of insurance for phone and laptop ?