expenses backlog leaving me penniless

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am almost permanently travelling around the country for work so my expenses are essential for travel /food/accommodation. As I can be away up to 6 nights a week the bill can be substantial. This was never an issue when expenses were paid weekly but now my employer has changed their expenses policy to only pay it monthly. I cannot afford to cover all these costs for a full month until we get paid. It could amount to over 50% of my wage and they are refusing to negotiate. I cannot find any specifics on this issue in employment law. Can anyone help?

There are no specific legal points other than (as already suggested) anything covered by your contract. If the contract is silent on the issue then the principle of custom and practice may well be applicable - ie if expenses have been paid weekly over an extended period and the arrangement is changed without adequate consultation then it may be held that you are entitled to consider weekly expenses payments as an implied right of contract.

I would certainly be looking at a grievance and costing this out so that the employer has details of how much you are having to find out of your own pocket and how this is affecting your household finances. It may be worth proposing a company credit card or at least a fuel card or budget hotel business account?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I have a similar issue. I charge my extensive travel expenses to a personal credit card and pay it off when I get reimbursed. There should be no interest if you repay it monthly. You do get a bit of kickback using an airmiles or cashback card. I'm not sure if this is a possible work around?

If this is not workable and you can't find an agreeable solution then I agree with sidewinder. There is a pretty strong custom and practice argument.

Looking at your employment contract the other way round, there is a question-mark whether your contract requires you to incur costs on behalf of the company at your own expense. Unless your contract specifically states that you must travel etc. at your own expense, I think you would be justified in taking the position that you should be paid up-front or at least a prompt expenses policy put in place otherwise the company is making requests it is not entitled to make under the contract.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS