Amazon - Faulty Camera

Peachsweet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I bought a camera from Amazon on 08/02/2013 a few days ago it stopped working, it is 14 months old.

I know it is out of warranty, I emailed Amazon and that is all they said and told me to take it up with the manufacturer.

I read about online about the Sales of Goods Act and emailed them back, in particular about working upto 6 years, but Amazon's stance didn't change. Just that they hoped they would 'see me again soon'? :|

A bit about the camera:

I bought it only 6 months after it had been released on sale. The fault was not known then.

There is an inherent flaw with the camera, the manufacturer has never admitted so but independent experts and users do.

Amazon have also admitted the problem is inherent in an email that they sent to me.

There are several reviews/fixes/stories other camera owners have posted on the internet about their camera's not working.

At all times the manufacturer has said the fault is not inherent, even if the camera is in pristine condition.

Many have returned their camera's to the manufacturer, who always blame the owner for nonexistant miss-use or damage.

From what I can find online it seems like a high percantage, if not all, model of this camera are effected.

At this point I believe Amazon are trying to fob me off, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you give a bit more information about the make and model of camera and the what inherent fault is? It will help others to give you accurate advice. It might also help to prevent my embarrassment by wrongly guessing...

Hi peach

You are covered under the Sale of Goods Act. In the link below select the correct template, ask for a refund, explain that you've done research on the camera and there is an inherent fault with the camera. You will have to force the refund issue. Send the letter Recorded Delivery.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

Contact your card provider, explain that you want to do a Chargeback, explain that there is an inherant fault with the camera. The time to do a Chargeback has passed, but they might do it as a 'goodwill gesture'. Send info from your research regarding the inherent fault. Send the Amazon email to the card provider.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

Keep all communication in writing.

We've got the option to write to the CEO further down the line.

I phoned HSBC today and tried to initiate a chargeback. The person I spoke to wasn't sure if they were able to because so long has passed, but said I would get a call back.

I have been trying to find their postal address on their website but after 30 minutes of looking it seems impossible to find!

I came across this address by using Google maps:

1-9 The Grove

Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1QP

United Kingdom

The only other address I can find is for the accounts department?

Hi Peach

Have you got a Credit Card statement handy?

Write to us at the following address:

The Manager,

Customer Care Team,

PO Box 6125,

COVENTRY,

CV3 9GW

I phoned HSBC today and tried to initiate a chargeback. The person I spoke to wasn't sure if they were able to because so long has passed, but said I would get a call back.

I have been trying to find their postal address on their website but after 30 minutes of looking it seems impossible to find!

I came across this address by using Google maps:

1-9 The Grove

Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1QP

United Kingdom

The only other address I can find is for the accounts department?

Hi,

I turned off the paper statement option but can access/print them from my online account.

Should I write to that address including the statement, proof of purchase, a letter explaining the situation and a copy of all the email correspondance I have received from Amazon?

Hi Peach

Have you got a Credit Card statement handy?

Write to us at the following address:

The Manager,

Customer Care Team,

PO Box 6125,

COVENTRY,

CV3 9GW

Received an updated email from Amazon which basically says they are ignoring the Sale of Goods Act:

"My name is Dean O'Callaghan and I represent Executive Customer Relations within Amazon and in this capacity, your correspondence has been brought to my attention.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulty experienced with the Fujifilm XF1 Camera - Tan (12MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD received in February 2012 from your order #

Under European Law customers may make a claim in respect of defective goods for a period of at least two years (under UK Law the maximum period is 6 years).

This does not imply that an item has a warranty of two years or six years respectively but permits an individual to make a claim under certain circumstances within that time period.

Amazon do not provide the warranty for this item. However, we do have certain obligations under the Sale of Goods Act which grants recourse against a seller of goods if those goods were defective at the time of purchase (i.e. if there was an inherent fault in the goods). This may include, in certain circumstances, repair, refund or replacement, but only to the extent that doing so is not disproportionate to the value of the goods, having regard to the use the customer has already had of the goods and the nature of the goods. In addition, in order to be entitled to any repair, refund or replacement 6 months or more after purchase of goods, you must be able to provide evidence that the product was defective at the time of purchase.

For more information on your rights under the Sale of Goods Act you can contact your local Trading Standards Office.

You purchased your product approximately 26 months ago and, until recently, have used it successfully and reported no fault with the product until now. In particular, you have had satisfactory use of the product for a period of time which exceeds the manufacturer's warranty period. As such, you are not entitled to a replacement or refund of the replacement value.

Please note that the manufacturer is often in a better position than the retailer to deal with technical problems affecting their products. Therefore, should you wish to pursue this matter further, we would encourage you to once again contact the manufacturer to see if they are able to provide you with any further assistance. They may be in a position to offer a repair service or could provide you with information on relevant charges for an out of warranty repair

Kind regards

Dean O Callaghan

Executive Customer Relations"

Not only am I a bit annoyed at Amazon for trying to fob me off but they clearly haven't even given the email they sent me much attention.

I bought the camera in February 2013.

It is impossible to have bought the camera in February 2012 as it was released in the UK during September 2012.

And for what it is worth I started silversmithing as a hobby and began selling the jewellery I made online.

I bought the camera to photograph the jewellery and for as long as I have owned it, it has only been outside the house twice.

Hi Peach

Include proof of purchase, Chargeback letter (In the Which? link there is a template, use the template but expand on the inherent fault, your asking for refund), copy of the Amazon correspondence and evidence that you've seen regarding the inherent fault i.e. posts, as many as you can take a snapshot of. Don't give up.

Add the following to your letter :-

Explain to the Card Provider, that they are even making facts up.

'I bought the camera in February 2013.

It is impossible to have bought the camera in February 2012 as it was released in the UK during September 2012.'

The Manager,

Customer Care Team,

PO Box 6125,

COVENTRY,

CV3 9GW

Hi,

I turned off the paper statement option but can access/print them from my online account.

Should I write to that address including the statement, proof of purchase, a letter explaining the situation and a copy of all the email correspondance I have received from Amazon?

Hi,

I've posted all the documents to HSBC, I sent it by recorded delivery but I guess due to the bank holiday it will take longer than normal to receive a response.

In the mean time I replied to Amazon correcting them that I did infact buy the camera in 2013.

They responded by offering a 'goodwill gesture' in the form of a partial refund of £150, which is the current selling price of the camera.

At the moment I am going to wait for HSBC's response but if they say a chargeback is not possible, will pushing Amazon further be beneficial?

I know they are in the wrong but I don't want to be left with nothing.

Hi peach

Agree, £150 is promising, you don't want to lose that, lets see what HSBC say. There's no reason why Amazon can't be pushed a bit further, but wait on HSBC. There is no rush.

Hi,

I've posted all the documents to HSBC, I sent it by recorded delivery but I guess due to the bank holiday it will take longer than normal to receive a response.

In the mean time I replied to Amazon correcting them that I did infact buy the camera in 2013.

They responded by offering a 'goodwill gesture' in the form of a partial refund of £150, which is the current selling price of the camera.

At the moment I am going to wait for HSBC's response but if they say a chargeback is not possible, will pushing Amazon further be beneficial?

I know they are in the wrong but I don't want to be left with nothing.

• 11 months later...

I also have the same problem but don't have the life left in me to fight.

It would have been far better if Fuji had put their hands up, recalled (as Nikon did) when a problem of this magnitude manifested itself. I firmly believe this problem will appear in every XF1 made, I'm not wealthy and I bought it as an upgrade because of the excellent revues in computer and photographic magazines. Manufacturers recall cars, camera should be easy unless they can't fix it. From reading other comments fuji blame everything (not got to sun spots yet though) for an inherently faulty camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

My first ever post on this site (in fact the reason for joining CAG in the first place) was for an issue with a faulty camera from Amazon. Eventually I had to take them to small claims court for the full cost of the repair.

Thread here;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?286718-Faulty-Sony-camera-from-Amazon-****RESULT****

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I bought the Fujifilm XF1 from Currys, and I only had it one year when it failed. It started to show the Lens Control Error, and it will no longer work! I contacted fujifilm who in turn did not want to know. Fujifilm knew about the fault for a while, but they fail to listen to its customers.

You should really contact Currys first, they are responsible although they will likely just fob you off, it's what they do when they have your money.

I did go to Currys, they were not interested and said go to Fujifilm ! I am now stuck with a faulty camera. I have seen a facebook page talking about the lens control error.

It's here for any one who wants to see it.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fujifilm-XF1-Lens-Control-Error/815136471898105?fref=ts