• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Harrington Brooks Help / advice needed - £27k debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have tried to find some specific threads relating to my own situation but guess we all have similar but unique situations..

I am really looking for some advice of what best to do to reduce my debt.

Currently I owe the following, which is being paid on a dmp via Harrington Brooks

- I know they charge me but it was hassle free...

1) Moorcroft debt recovery £1923.16 paying £10.95 per month

This was an egg card with max balance of £2k

2) Cahoot £6517.00 paying £29.75 per month

this was a £7k unsecured loan

3) Apex Credit Management £3421.02 paying £19.45 per month

Mint Credit Card - £3.5k

4) Welcome Finance £1921.82 paying £9.26 per month

Unsecured loan £900

4) Northern Rock Asset Management - £10341.08 paying £54.62

Unsecured loan £10k

5) Wescot Credit Services £3248.88 paying £17.94 per month

Lloyds TSB overdraft £2k

Total: £141.97

Payment to HB: £180.00

I started my dmp in 2006 with abacus

paying £150.00 then reduced to minimum of£100.00 per month when work was tough,

then back to £150.00 and £180.00 for the last 2 years.

I know I should arrange independently to save money which I will do as can probably afford to pay more but how do I do this?

Also I had various defaults issued in 2005 2006 before I began my dmp but now my credit rating has improved.

I want to clear these debts faster as must have paid nearly £10k in payments to abacus / HB

but my debt has hardly come down and most are still well over the original agreed amount!

Currently I have another 16 years to pay this all off at the current rate which is extreme!

How can I get the amounts reduced

- for example I only borrowed £900 from Welcome Finance yet still have £1921 balance to pay its unreal, similar to my Lloyds debt.

I can probably afford to pay £300.00 per month in total and also stand to receive about £3k tax rebate which I can put into clearing my debts.

I've read about full and final settlement - what should I prioritise to maximise what I have?

I want to make a greater impact in my debt but reduce it as much as possible anyway I can so appreciate all help and advice please

Bet this HB outfit are rubbing their grubby little paws each time you pay them!

DUMP THEM, DUMP THEM, DUMP THEM.

The reason why your debts aren't going down any quicker is because they're pocketing your money!

Did they even check whether these DCA's and other companies have any legal right to your money?

You've been cash cowed for years unfortunately.

Have you or HB ever sent a CCA request to any of these DCA's?

What is showing on your credit file?

Get RID of this conning DMP.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Bazooka,

Thanks for replying so quick!

So part of the reason I have paid a debt management company is laziness ,

part fear of talking to the creditors who were sending me endless threats, and also naivety.

However, it was naivety that got me into debt in my 20s when at the click of a button a £4k credit card would drop through the letterbox 5 days later!

So I know I need to ditch them.

1) how do I see my credit file?

2) I have seen some things about CCA request but am not sure or confident to talk about it? Also how does this help me?

Thanks any advice is much appreciated

You get rid of your DMP by simply telling them that their services are no longer required because they have done the square route of naff all!

What you want them to supply you with is exactly how much money (which you paid them) they have been using to pay your creditors.

I guarantee they not only demanded these creditors/DCA's to provide evidence of the legality to your money, but not a single one will have been told to stop interest and fees.

If needs be, a SAR (costs £10) sent to these charlatans will force them to provide you with ALL evidence since they conned you in 2006. From there you will be able to see exactly what little they have done for your hard earned.

The very next step will be to send each of these creditors/DCA's (whoever is chasing you for the grubby money) a CCA request, this costs £1 per account/agreement and they have 12+2 days in which to supply you with a copy of the original agreement or the account is placed in dispute, and no further payments or recovery action can take place until such time as they provide the evidence.

You can check your credit file by using Experian 30 day free credit check, just ensure you cancel it well within the free 30 day period.

OR send £2 to Experian to get a hard copy of your credit file, and finally you can check on Noddle which is Free, but is slower to update their systems so maybbe a little out of date..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

oppss smell cash cowing mere.

HB are one of the worst for this.

rumour has it [i'll leave that though there!!]

they are owned by ex dca employees [nuff said]

cancel it and then deal with each debt as the letters start to arrive.

def CCA everyone you pay through them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi All,

Thanks for all your words, am blown away with the speed the advice has been posted!

So last night I did a Noddle credit check and they scored me 3 out of 5 and

none of the debts I'm paying via my dmp were listed is this of any significance?

Now if I request CCA and cancel my dmp will I not now be exposed to these appearing on my credit file?

Also how does CCA work, if they can't send me the info is that it I just don't ever pay anything more for that debt?

My worry is my credit record is now improving and I'd like to apply for a mortgage in the not too distance future

as a first time buyer, maybe using Help to Buy.

I would like to avoid it becoming bad again!

Hi Rebel,

I am not sure they have any ppi on them,

Abacus Finance who I set up my original dmp were meant to have checked some years ago

but I was always quiet careful when applying for credit / loan that they did not include ppi and the boxes were not ticked.

Thanks again!

DUMP HB ASAP.

if a debt is not showing it has already dropped off never to return.

get those CCA's off

yu are being had blind..

read this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?422013-Harrington-Brooks-Failed-to-Make-Payments-To-My-Creditors-As-Agreed&highlight=harrington+brooks

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I did see that which is another concern but

I'm pretty sure they are paying my creditors, maybe I should call one directly to see?

Although Santander who now handle my cahoot loan do send me am annual statement

so I'm pretty sure they will be on my case if I stop paying!?

then you deal with each as it happens

the debts have all been defaulted more than 6yrs ago

so have been removed from your CRa file

never to return.

ok it could be some are enforceable, but those will be few

all bar number 4 in your initial list need a cca for DEF!!

wheres this cahoot one come from

its not listed

pay them direct not thru a fleecing DMC

and they

You should be receiving a statement of account off every creditor annually.

Never EVER discuss anything over the phone with any of your creditors and

certainly not with a tame DCA.

Really need to get rid of the DMP, and get the CCA's off and see just how many have been conning you for the last 8 years.

Great, thanks. I will call HB tomorrow and sack them off.

How come the Welcome Finance loan does not require CCA ?

The Cahoot loan is number 2 on my list.

Now, apologies if I sound stupid but CCA - I send off the sample letter per company inc £1. Then what are the possible outcomes and necessary actions I need to take?

Cheers

its the overdraft account that you do not need to cca

Edited by theoldrouge
mistype

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

sri yes you have 2 4's!

NRAM is prob iegit as its still with the OC

so is the cahoot

welcome finance ALWAYS send a CCA request & send an sar too

PPI/etc etc guaranteed I bet

and they

Hi old rouge,

Many thanks for your input also. So is there anyway in particular I should handle the overdraft debt?

I am going to end things with HB and await letters to arrive from each creditor, can they add interst or charges whilst im not paying? and i'll post off requests for CCA for each debt ASAP

Thanks

that's ok

theres no harm in sending them an SAR mind!

as with all debts

the more info you get the better the picture.

on the front of stopping for now the payments.

IMHO those debts that are still with the OC's

i'd start paying directly via YOUR internet banking webportal

once HB are dumped

as with ALL DMC's

they should have already negotiated NO INTEREST or PENALTY charges

the day you signed up.

somehow I doubt it.

dx

and they

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on my current financial situation. My current debt owed is:

Lloyds overdraft: £2,771.71: defaulted around 2007 debt with westcot credit services

Egg Credit Card: £1,610.33: defaulted around 2008 debt with moor croft debt recovery

Cahoot Loan: £5326.79: defaulted around 07/08 now Santander loan

welcome finance: £1346.73: defaulted around 08/09

Mint credit card: £2852.04: defaulted around 08/09 debt now with APEX credit management

Northern Rock loan: £9326.68: defaulted around 08/09 debt now with Cabot financial

TOTAL OWED: £23,233.67

I took out a DMP with Abacus Financial (now Harrington Brooks) in 2008, but have just cancelled it having realised it was a waste of money. I now want to tackle each creditor as and when they reach out to me. What would be the best approach?

For the lloyds overdraft I feel the balance is mostly made up of charges, how do I get the full breakdown from lloyds and can I use this in negotiating the balance down? Also what is the best method to do this - phone or letter? If letter is there a template?

Cabot Financial have offered me a 40% settlement (£3,730.67) could I get this reduced further? Also my current credit record is rated "good" if I partially settle I believe this will be added to my credit record when I originally defaulted. As this was over 6 years ago will this impact my current credit record?

Is it possible to negotiate with Welcome Finance? And any advice for dealing with the others?

I have access to around £10k and would obviously like to clear these debts once and for all using as little as possible. Apologies for all the questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2008 - 2015 With Harrington Brooks... Christ!!! you most certainly have been strung along. I feel for you. HB are bad!

Welcome Finance folded yonks ago... Kind of tough to negotiate. Right, I think you should CCA Everyone. Im guessing all debts were paid up until recently?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Yep I'm sure HB fleeced me but it was a case of out of sight out of mind, paying a low monthly amount whilst I got my career sorted! Having looked at my last statement seeing another 15 years to get debt free I decided I have to get my behind In gear and sort this out!

All debts were paid except Northern Rock, last paid August 2013 as they rejected HB offer. Now just started receiving letters from Cabot.

Thanks for replying so quick!

fleeced blind

pers I'd be sending a CCA request

to everyone you currently pay

[bar bank account OD's mind - doesn't apply]

sadly looks like you've been cash cowed too.

don't go paying off debts by F&F

it does NOTHING for your credit worthiness

any debt is on your file till the default reaches its 6th birthday

then it vanishes [doesn't mean the debt might not be still owed mind - that's for the CCA process]

and sar to those not being paid and/or bank accounts [ to the ORIGINAL CREDITOR]

might be worthy

as might others too as there could be PPI/INS/penalties to reclaim

esp welcome finance!

dx

and they

No probs :)

Its slow at work. Need to occupy my mind.

Right let see... You say they were paid?! Clarify? Paid in full or still outstanding and you were Paying them?

Cabot should know that when dealing with DMPs that they have to treat you fairly.

My worry is Cabot... They may pull the trigger on legal action if they own the account. As for Wescot, Moorcroft. Youre safe for now.

Apex are now part of Cabot so should be weary of them.

Have you ever sent CCA Requests? Apart from the Overdraft as it wont be covered under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Although how much of the OD Was charges and how much was what you ACTUALLY Owed?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks! And yes I'm sure I've been fleeced... Time to stop it!

All defaults have passed their 6 year birthday,

all of the above debts are no longer on my credit file.

I will CCA Request all except Lloyds.

Should I do this now, or wait until they contact me?

For the OD I will send off the SAR and also to Welcome Finance

- the original loan amount was £900 and I have paid them £15 per month since 2010 and still have a balance of £1346 !!!!

Just looked further into the paper work I have,

my last payment to Northern Rock via my DMP was £54 in May 14.

I have not paid them in full

there is still a balance on the account.

I never knew The debt had been passed to Cabot until 11th sept this year when they offered me the reduced settlement.

They followed upm2 weeks later with a statement and letter saying i did not have to do anything.

I have never sent out a CCA Request, but looked at the template. Seems straight forward.

Do I just buy postal orders from the post office?

The overdraft was around 3k

I have been paying via DMP £25 per month since 2008

and still have a balance of £2.7k with westcot

so only just paid the charges by the looks of it!

Also is it with sending an SAR to Harrington Brooks ?

Thanks! And yes I'm sure I've been fleeced... Time to stop it!

All defaults have passed their 6 year birthday,

all of the above debts are no longer on my credit file. - great cant hurt your score now then.

I will CCA Request all except Lloyds.

Should I do this now, or wait until they contact me? - now.

For the OD I will send off the SAR and also to Welcome Finance

- the original loan amount was £900 and I have paid them £15 per month since 2010 and still have a balance of £1346 !!!!

- fleeced blind as always with welcome

Just looked further into the paper work I have,

my last payment to Northern Rock via my DMP was £54 in May 14.

I have not paid them in full

there is still a balance on the account.

I never knew The debt had been passed to Cabot until 11th sept this year when they offered me the reduced settlement.

They followed upm2 weeks later with a statement and letter saying i did not have to do anything.

I have never sent out a CCA Request, but looked at the template. Seems straight forward.

Do I just buy postal orders from the post office? - yep use £1 blank PO's - don't sign anything

The overdraft was around 3k

I have been paying via DMP £25 per month since 2008

and still have a balance of £2.7k with westcot

so only just paid the charges by the looks of it! - sar time for sure!

Also is it with sending an SAR to Harrington Brooks ?

yes they'll have an F&F pot they've been hiding , you want that back!

always sign the sar's

dx

and they