Back bill received - advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter moved out of her flat early last July 2013, and

she asked for and paid the final gas/electric bill.

However, she has now just received another final bill for over £450.

She has spoken to the company who say it is their fault and the amount is for Jan to July 2013.

They say she can pay via a payment plan.

Needless to say, she is very upset.

She paid by direct debit when she lived there and made sure she paid the final bill.

She lives on a very tight budget and manages her money accordingly.

Can anyone tell me where she stands here?

What is your advice?

why do they say she owes this when she paid up before?

who is this please?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update that

apparently my daughter rang npower up when she moved out of her flat last July to ask for a final bill.

They didn't respond at all and no bill arrived.

Now they respond (letter received 12 April) apologising for not getting the final bill to her on time

and that it falls short of the service the customer deserves, etc, etc.

My daughter sent a letter back to them saying that she is not liable for any payments due further than 12 months away from the date

she received their letter and asked them to send an amended bill within the next 10 days or she would consider the matter closed.

No response yet!

Did we do the right thing?

• 2 months later...

Still battling with this so would appreciate some advice.

Had a letter from npower dated 1 May,

that was obviously a standard letter,

saying they've taken the feedback seriously and raised a complaint on my daughter's behalf

and they are confident the matter would be resolved shortly.

Didn't hear anything so sent a letter dated 21 June to the person who sent the aforementioned letter

saying that other than receiving further remainders to pay the disputed amount owing, nothing else had been received.

We asked for a response within 10 days.

Now, 7 July, my daughter has received an Act Now to Avoid Court Action demand saying they will proceed with a summons

with possible additional costs of £120.

I would just appreciate advice as to whether to take this further,

does the back billing law apply (no final bill was received until 9 months after leaving the property),

should we go to the Ombudsman,

should we reply to the Customer Services Director who sent the Court Action letters?

Help!

I would write back to him

giving the complaint number.

so you've not received the revised bill only including the 12mts back from that first bill

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No, they haven't responded at all except for the standard letter on 1 May saying they have raised a complaint on my daughter's behalf.

We will send another letter to the Customer Services Director, attaching all previous correspondence, and send it recorded delivery. Would you agree that the back billing law applies in my daughter's case? I believe it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply has been received from Executive Complaints and advice re next steps would be really appreciated

as I believe back billing (at least) applies. By the way, their letter dated 12 July was not received.

"You recently wrote to npower’s Customer Service Director Gareth Pickles in relation to your billing query

and the delay in issuing the final bill to you.

As a member of the Executive Complaints Team, this has been passed to me to investigate and respond on their behalf.

After completing a full review of the issues you have raised, please find below a detailed response to these points.

I am very sorry for the delays in issuing a final account to you.

I understand how frustrating it is when you do not know where your account stands.

I apologise for the confusing messages you have had from us.

As you moved out of Flat xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, on the 01 July 2013 and the bill was originally produced on the 1st January 2014,

your account will not fall under the criteria of final bill write off's.

This was not introduced until the 01 June 2014 and your account had already been billed at that point.

I understand that you did not receive the actual statement until April 2014 and for this I am sorry.

I understand that you may have received a letter dated the 12 July 2014 offering as a resolution to your complaint,

a goodwill gesture reduction of £145.38 on your account, leaving the balance to pay of £300.00,

I feel that the offer is fair under the circumstances. The balance can also be spread over a 12 month instalment plan.

If you are happy for this as a resolution to your complaint,

please can you contact me back on the details below, within the next 7 days.

If you have not contacted me back after this time I will apply the goodwill gesture,

set up the 12 month instalment plan and close the complaint without the need to inconvenience you further."

• 5 months later...

Bit of an update here. This went to the Energy Ombudsman and it was eventually agreed that npower would provide a letter of apology and a payment plan. However, they have not met their deadline for doing this. As this Final Decision was binding on npower doing the above by a certain date and they have not met this date, I wonder if the £300 does not need to be paid now? How do we stand legally? Any advice would be appreciated.

You need to go back to the ombudsman and let them handle it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D