(NON) Refundable Deposit on Private Car Sale.

ctid1987
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The story is as follows:

3 weeks ago I went to look at a car for sale that was advertised on eBay. (which wasn't an auction, but a classified advert)

I liked the car (a non runner by the way) and said to the bloke I would have it and paid a £250 deposit with the remaining £2,750 to be paid on collection once I had sorted out transport for the vehicle.

However, this week my Mrs 2008 Golf has just packed up big time! I think the Mechatronics unit in the DSG gearbox has gone, and I'm looking at a £2000+ bill.

I have text the bloke today apologising and explaining my situation and asked for my money back and he has refused. I said I would ring him later today.

He said as stated in the eBay ad it was non refundable. However, on my receipt that he printed out it says nothing at all apart from remaining balance to be paid, and there was no mention of anything being non refundable between the two of us while discussing terms.

What are my rights, and what is the best way to go about this? I still need to phone him, but don't want to say the wrong thing.

Thanks, Tony.