Letter from RLP after incident at Primark

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3657 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey

About a month ago me and two others were taken by security guards at Primark in London because of shoplifting. I tried put a pair of sunglasses in my bag for my buddy and the other tried to take clothes for about 20£. The last one didn't know about this but he was prosecuted too.

After a moth (today) I got a letter from RLP (as expected) and it tells me I have to pay 218.78£ for the incident, I think the others got the same amount. The sunglasses I had in my bag was fit for resale and all the other clothes was too. Why should I be charged this much?

Also, I am from Norway and I live here, can RLP do anything to me other than spamming me with mails? After reading a bit I have found out that the police in England can't do anything to me unless I live in England, and because I live in Norway only the norwegian police can arrest me if it ends like that. I also know that you only get a warning for shoplifting ATTEMPTS here in Norway if you haven't done anything criminal before.

I need help here, me and the others have talked about this but I just want to be sure. I am not willing to pay almost 220£ for this.

Ignore rlp. They cannot do ANYTHING. They will send a few letters but the most important thing they can be used for is toilet paper.

Have a read of this forum and youll see what to expect.

Dont pay them a single penny.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I am not planning on paying them, but is there a reason I got such a big fine? I have been reading and I have seen that most people get 137.50£ or so. 218.78 seems a bit much.

Also how long will I be recieving letters? The first letter went to my home address and I don't want anyone else living here to get suspicious.

Also:http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?403807-Caught-shoplifting-from-Primark-RLP-letter&p=4348807&viewfull=1#post4348807

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

It is not a fine. At all. Read that link and all will be explained.

Is there any way to send this "one liner" via email? Or should I send it as normal mail? Also what else should I write? One of the others that I was together with when the incident happened tells me I should just totally ignore and show no signs of life.

Normal post and obtain proof of posting or delivery

Follow the info in that link and get on with your life

The store has made no loss directly attribtable to your actions and if the police were not involved at the time then they will have no interest in it now. RLP tell retail compaies all sorts of fantasic things to get them to sign up to them but none of it actually has any reliable evidence to support it. The money RLP take from people does not go back to the stores and there is no legal reason for you to pay them anything. They are however, very persistent and will try anything to get you to pay them. Ignoring them is the best thing you can do if that is possible, there will be no record of any claim by RLP that is kept by the authorities because they donthave any interest in what this company actually does as it is nothing to do with criminal justice or even intelligence gathering or crime prevention.

Follow the posts above if you want to send them a letter, it may have the desired effect but not always a RLP dont actuallyhave the same moral compass they espouse for others

I am not planning on paying them, but is there a reason I got such a big fine? I have been reading and I have seen that most people get 137.50£ or so. 218.78 seems a bit much.

Also how long will I be recieving letters? The first letter went to my home address and I don't want anyone else living here to get suspicious.

It does seem rather odd that they are demanding such a high amount..

Where exactly is your home.. Norway or the UK ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I thought thats what i said? or did i word it wrong?

From RLP's own site, they make it out as if they are the ones who took action against them.

I live in Norway. I was on a trip to UK when the incident happened.

I wonder if that could be the reason they are attempting to obtain more money from you ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My apologies scarlet. I see what I did wrong.