Council tax legislation doesn't allow for compensation for mistakes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had cause to complain to the council as they managed to screw up payments being made on normal council tax, which were applied against previous years arrears instead of the current payments resulting in a summons etc.

The council have taken the debt back from the bailiffs, cancelled the liability order and spread the outstanding balance over the next twelve months. However, I have spent many hours looking through all the paperwork and ringing/writing to the council who just couldn't understand where I was coming from.

The council have stated that and I quote 'unfortunately the legislation does not permit for the payment of compensation in Council Tax so I can only offer you my sincere apologies over the matter'.

My question is: is there anything in the legislation to prevent compensation being awarded because it is related to council tax?

If there are spelling mistakes on my posts, I blame the gremlins tapping my keys. :eek:

My question is: is there anything in the legislation to prevent compensation being awarded because it is related to council tax?

There's no facility in council tax legislation for making compensation payments.

If the council have received payment and not been aware that you meant payment for your current years council tax payments then they've acted in good faith with your payments and removing the recovery action they've taken is probably the best your going to get,