Advantis Credit DPA Violation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3661 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was going through some old paperwork and I found the initial letter which Advantis sent to my new address about a year after I moved in... It read:

Dear Mr. [MY FULL NAME WITH MIDDLE NAMES]

Advantis provide professional services to a number of large organisations within the UK.

We have been instructed by out client, NOTTINGHAM CITY COUNCIL, to verify the current whereabouts of [MY FULL NAME WITH MIDDLE NAMES], formerly resident at [MY FULL PREVIOUS ADDRESS] in relation to an outstanding matter....

Are they allowed to just give out my information i.e. full name, with middle names and previous address?

If not, what'd you advise I do about it? I personally am really not happy that they're just firing out letters with my name and addresses on it without knowing where they go.

Hi. Simple answer nope. Can you scan the letter up.

Some tracing services use very clever wording so they dont cross the line into full breach.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

They would argue that as it is addressed to you then you should not have opened it if that person was not you and returned it to sender although that logic fails me as if you do not reply they tend to just bombard you with letters

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I open all mail which arrives here. My logic is that if it's something important i.e. court summons etc... for a previous resident I can pass it to the letting agent to forward on.

Not illegal to open other people's mail except if one is "intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse" - Postal Services Act 2000.

The offence is hard to prove unless something blatantly obvious , eg a letter containing a bank debit / credit card.

Ok. First off, thats a standard phishing letter which you dont need to reply to. However, if you think theres been a DPA breach, give the ICO a ring and ask them for their opinion. Notice how they try and say they found you, but then say they arent sure.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Not illegal to open other people's mail except if one is "intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse" - Postal Services Act 2000.

The offence is hard to prove unless something blatantly obvious , eg a letter containing a bank debit / credit card.

Oleg , we will have to agree to differ. I give it a different interpretation. I am using section 1

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/26/section/84

"without reasonable excuse"... There's flat's ABC and D here all under the same number and VERY often they mix our names and addresses up. All 4 properties do it and it's not uncommon for me to receive an opened envelope with a sorry posit attached from a neighbour.

Also just to add, having a very complicated Dutch surname, 9 times out of10, the name is incorrectly spelled or it's blatantly something else.

lol, I've even had TalkTalk write to me and start the letter with "Dear Alien" as opposed to "Dear Adrian" haha xD

All our flats have proper numbers but I still get letters for others and I have the number on the door..inbred locals !

I also tend to open letters without looking at them so is that good cause?

What I was trying to get at is that I do not think that letter gives anything away so they are not in breach of the DPA and if they possibly could be they might claim the opening letters stuff.

Now if it said you owe us £x 0000 for rent arrears and they hadn't confirmed your address then yes they would be stuffed

So anyone who has my previous address can go around firing my full name (with middle names) and previous addresses about everywhere?

My concern being that I'm a Director of a company and quite frankly,despite it already being public on the Companies House Website, I'd rather people got my name like that rather than by a bunch of DCA's

Hi ari. The best thing to do is ease your mind and have a word with the ICO by phone. Get it from the horses mouth... so to speak.