• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would it benefit your case to do so? What do you want to discuss?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It's that in answer to my request(s) the Respondents solicitor, for example, states that grievance witness statements "were not put before the disciplinary panel or the appeal panel".

This is untrue as they were included in the bundles to said panels.

I am finding it very time consuming having to write back to her about issues like the example above.

Is this normal practice to try and frustrate me?

Should I draw it to the ET's attention?

It's very normal to try and wind you up, yes. Don't play.

The ET won't really care about games played outside of the court, they'd never get any work done if they refereed. Just make sure they get the evidence on the day.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Yes, it can be disclosed.

Whether it would help you is another matter. The Tribunal usually is not interested in this kind of stuff. You need to focus on winning the substance on your case, not on trying to prove that them or their lawyers aren't very pleasant.

However this kind of stuff could be used on cross-examination to damage the credibility of a witness, if you can prove that something they are saying is untrue or that they have changed their story.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Steampowered has said it in a nutshell really. The main point of your case is whether a dismissal was unfair (or whatever the claim is for) with regard to the law. Everything else is purely supporting evidence.

So, for example, the law requires that an employer has a reasonable belief that they had grounds to dismiss, and that at the time the decision was made this belief was genuine, that the opinion was formed after a reasonable investigation and that dismissal was an appropriate sanction in the circumstances. If there were inadequacies in the original investigation or disciplinary process were these corrected on appeal with an investigation of all points raised by the employee during the appeal?

If an employer can demonstrate the above, then the ET decision will go in their favour. An investigation carried out by you after the fact might well raise doubts as to whether the decision was correct, but providing that the employer had the belief that they were correct at the time, then this does not matter. That is a point that is often lost on a claimant. You must set out to prove that the evidence available at the time of dismissal was not sufficient to dismiss.

The information and documents that you have MUST be directed towards proving that the employer was not entitled to dismiss and that they should reasonably have known this when they made the decision - so frame your cross examination around proving that the documents you mention WERE available and were not considered.

I also agree with Emmzzi - the ET will not be at all bothered about the respondent or their solicitor messing you around - it is about whether deadlines are met, the bundle prepared and agreed and the way that the case is presented. If documents have not been disclosed by the hearing then that should be a matter to raise on the day, emphasising why they were important to your case and what steps you took to ask for disclosure and any responses made by their solicitor. Only if the documents are absolutely central to your case should you be asking the Tribunal to intervene to force disclosure - and you would need to have a good reason for why they were not asked for originally.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Many thanks.

I wonder if you and others could offer advice on an e-mail I received from the Respondent today.

It was a letter sent to the ET today requesting that the hearing dates ( for 16th And 17th June) be vacated and re-listed.

She says that of the 3 witnesses that the Respondent intends to call, there are now substantial difficulties in 2 of the witnesses being able to attend the hearing.

She cites that one witness sustained a fall on the 6th March and there are doubts about being fit for the listed dates.

The second witness, has booked a holiday .

The solicitor states that the witnesses husband recently underwent " life saving surgery" and the holiday is to facilitate her husbands recovery and she forgot about the hearing dates due to " a lapse of concentration" and " severe emotional strain".

I intend to object, but would be grateful for thoughts and comments.

Benny, responding to your PM. My replying will bump your thread up the forum.

I know this is urgent for you and I have alerted the site team in case anyone can help. As it's Easter school holidays, it's a bit quieter than usual, but hopefully someone will see your thread later. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Bennyboy98

As long as it doesn't sound unreasonable, the Tribunal will probably grant the vacating and re-listing of the Hearing. It could be a delaying tactic but you would need some proof to put before the Tribunal. You could ask the Tribunal that Respondents provide proof of the 'life saving surgery' but you run the risk of seeming unreasonable. If you've booked time off, you could point out that 'costs' are involved.

Many thanks.

I wonder if you and others could offer advice on an e-mail I received from the Respondent today.

It was a letter sent to the ET today requesting that the hearing dates ( for 16th And 17th June) be vacated and re-listed.

She says that of the 3 witnesses that the Respondent intends to call, there are now substantial difficulties in 2 of the witnesses being able to attend the hearing.

She cites that one witness sustained a fall on the 6th March and there are doubts about being fit for the listed dates.

The second witness, has booked a holiday .

The solicitor states that the witnesses husband recently underwent " life saving surgery" and the holiday is to facilitate her husbands recovery and she forgot about the hearing dates due to " a lapse of concentration" and " severe emotional strain".

I intend to object, but would be grateful for thoughts and comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

I am in process of completing my witness statement with exchange with the respondent due on 9/5/14 and would welcome any advice.

How much information should I include in my statement? I was originally suspended in August 2012 , dismissed in June 2013 and my appeal was thrown out in September 2013.

My case is listed for June this year at the ET

As you can see this is quite along time.

Should I give a full chronological time frame of events and correspondence?

If so, should I also write about the evidence I have in my defense in the statement, or is it best to refer to the pages in the bundle for the ET to read themselves?

Hi there!

First of all, you should set it out as a pleading with the case title and number and your witness statement as the title. The first line is usually along the lines of "I, (Name) of (address) will state as follows:"

You should set out your statement in chronological order using numbered paragraphs (and headings too if it makes it easier to read).

You need to include everything that is relevant, as the statement forms the basis of most of your evidence.

You should refer to documents in the bundle as appropriate by citing their page number for the panel to refer to.

You also should include a statement of truth and sign and date it.

Exactly as Becky says.

The Tribunal Judge will not sit and read the evidence bundle. He will though read your Witness Statement. He will form his decision based on the case that you present, and the WS is the one opportunity that you have to say precisely what happened, when, and why this made your dismissal unfair. You include everything that is relevant to the case so that the Judge has a clear picture in his mind, told through your words, of what happened. The bundle is there to support what you say in your WS, so the statements should make it clear where the Judge can find the document which supports what you are saying - eg on 20th August 2012 I received a letter from Mr Smith (Page 57 of the bundle). The WS should lead the Judge towards your central point that based on what you have described, and supported by the evidence in the bundle that the employer dismissed you unfairly, so although you do not need to outline the precise legal points in your WS, you should understand what the law requires for the employer to have dismissed you fairly and precisely what they did (or did not do) which would make the decision to dismiss you unfair with regard to the law. Your WS should merely state the facts for the Judge, and you then use cross examination to hopefully prove your case. After hearing the evidence from both sides the Judge will give you the opportunity to say precisely why the Judge should find in your favour and why the evidence that he has heard is supported by any relevant case law or statute.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let everyone know that perseverance and patience pays off.

Almost 2 years 1 month to the day since I was suspended and the dismissed my company has given in and settled.

Despite all the deceit, lies and delays they inflicted I won.

They took it right to the wire only conceding the day before the ET hearing.

It goes without saying how relieved I am. I can now start to rebuild my life and my health.

Thank you to CAG for advice proffered.

• Confused 1

Excellent news. It must have been a very stressful time for you.

I hope you can now get on with the rest of your life :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Congratulations benny. That must be a huge relief. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.