DWP claiming social fund from 1997

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3668 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a letter from the DWP stating they will be taking £6.35 per week from my ESA over three social fund payment from 1997. I had this out with the DWP months ago when i first got the demand.

I sent the DWP a Data Subject Access Request as for the life of me i had no idea if i had taken out these three loans. They were unable to offer any proof of my liability, no applications, signatures, nothing. I told them to contact me again when they had the documentation.

How can they take this money now out of my ESA when they have no proof of my liability?

Just spoke with the DWP and i cannot even talk with an individual. They say someone from the recoveries team will contact me in three hours as they are only a call centre

ANY TIPS PEOPLE

Surely they must be able to show you what they are basing their recovery on? They must have some records on what has led them to believe that you had these social fund payments - it must be written down somewhere, and they should provide you with this.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

It's kind of a 'your word against theirs' issue, and I suspect they usually win, unless the person can prove they didn't have the payments. The only similar cases I've dealt with is where the person could prove they'd paid back the loans, and that they were still on the system in error.

Does it say what type of payment they were - crisis loans, budgeting loans....? Does it indicate where and how they were paid. Do you remember ever having a crisis loan payment? It should be easy enough to remember if you never had one, but harder to remember if you did have loans, how many there were, and whether they were paid back.

It is disgraceful they are allowed to do this without any proof. Why has it taken them so long.. if they have records to indicate that someone owes them money, they should really have the proof to back it up.

Sloppy administration all round IMHO.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Just phoned up the call centre again as no call from the debt recovery dept as promissed in three hours. Surprise surprise the call centre lady stated no call or email has been forwarded to debt recovery after my call yesterday.. She stated she will do that now and i will receive a call back by the end of the day.

She did confirm some amounts though: Crisis Loans

Dec 1994 £20.00

Feb 1995 £130.00

Sep 1995 £44.82

Nov 1996 £40.00

????????? £100.00 miscellaneous (Debt recovery will confirm)

So total is £409.02 on DWP figures

DWP state total amount outstanding £452 on debts i have no recollection on dates or amounts with no paperwork suppled, only figures and dates of crisis loans applications on their computer and deduction will start to come out of my ESA allowance

Any Ideas???

Do you know the periods you were on benefits? There should have been some recovery while you were claiming - this would be a good place to start.

DWP guidance for decision makers states that recovery of a debt should be abandoned and the balance written off where the debt is:-

•under £25; or

•under £100 and at least six years have elapsed since the last repayment or deduction took place; or

•under £300 and at least ten years have elapsed since the last repayment or deduction took place; or

•over £300 and at least 20 years have elapsed since the last repayment or recovery took place.

Just posting up the above

I have just got of the phone with Debt Recovery, it is sod you we are taking repayments from your ESA. No paperwork to substantiate the debt etc, nothing. They just stated they can under:

Section 78 Social Security Act 1992

Any suggestions???

[quote=capquest worst knightmareDWP guidance for decision makers states that recovery of a debt should be abandoned and the balance written off where the debt is:-

•under £25; or

•under £100 and at least six years have elapsed since the last repayment or deduction took place; or

•under £300 and at least ten years have elapsed since the last repayment or deduction took place; or

•over £300 and at least 20 years have elapsed since the last repayment or recovery took place.

Just posting up the above

I have just got of the phone with Debt Recovery, it is sod you we are taking repayments from your ESA. No paperwork to substantiate the debt etc, nothing. They just stated they can under:

Section 78 Social Security Act 1992

Any suggestions???

Any suggestions???

Yes

Answer the question you where asked here This

Do you know the periods you were on benefits? There should have been some recovery while you were claiming - this would be a good place to start.

Dec 1994 £20.00

Feb 1995 £130.00

Sep 1995 £44.82

Nov 1996 £40.00

????????? £100.00 miscellaneous (Debt recovery will confirm)

So total is £409.02 on DWP figures

DWP state total amount outstanding £452 on debts

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I have no idea to be honest when and what periods i was claiming and for how long. We are talking 20 years ago and the DWP have not exactly been forthcomming with information to substantiate anything. I last requested this information in january, they say all they had at the time was was sent me. They now go on to say i have to make another seperate request again for this data. This is like pulling teeth