style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey forum users,

I have a question about whats happened as of recent.

I have a plan set up with chandlers to repay the amount owed on council tax,

I was a SINGLE day late of a payment and

now they are saying that they are coming to take my stuff,

the reason the payment was a day late were due to losing my job

not only have I lost my job there is also a high chance of losing my flat too.

I've had to sign on to job seekers allowance and claim housing benefit until I get back into work.

The guy on the phone said I have to now pay a extra £125 for them to come seize my possessions,

what can I do in this situation I wont lie,

i'm scared and I don't even know where I stand in this situation.

Please help me, I just don't know what to do!

Have you told the council you are now on zero income?

Get that counciuil tax releif form in and give a nil income statement to kick it off to cover the new bill, or part of it.

Then ask them to attach to your JSA

when sorted and call the dogs off,

they will likely refuse,

but it looks like Chandlers may be trying to apply the new rules if they think they can.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I did state on the housing benefit form that I had zero income and the new forms come with the council tax relief form too so yes they do know about it. So as of this point what are my options, do I just go to the local office and let them know whats happening. Of course I don't want this guy to come round as its an additional cost that I just cant afford.

Also, thank you for the info brassnecked I really appreciate it. I did get a letter the over day from Chandlers stating any repayment methods after 6th April with include 7.5% increase in debt owed so I want to get this sorted asap.

What items did they have a levy on

Even if they did turn up you do not need to let them in

You need to get the correct amount owing from the council it may be different to bailiffs

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

The items that were put down on levy were my pc-monitor which was mistaken for a television(its a big monitor), xbox 360, 2 coffee tables, wooden tv stand and my sofa.

Strangely enough he didn't put down my computer, is this common or are they not allowed to take them?

Only problem with not letting them in is I still get the extra charge also I did a little reading am I right in saying they can only charge you for two visits and would the removal of goods count as a visit?

I would be inclined to take the route of contesting the levy (you defaulted before the new regs come in) and asking for payment to come from JSA

I cant see these goods covering all enforcement fees including removal storage auction fees and a portion of the debt

my pc-monitor which was mistaken for a television(its a big monitor), xbox 360, 2 coffee tables, wooden tv stand and my sofa.

your sofa may be exempt from seizure if the fire safety labels are not on it

if it was removed would it leave enough seating for the whole family

if you can get the levy removed it will reduce your fees

The bailiff is being a bit naughty as he wants more fees, especially the new exiting £235 or so plus the £110 plus storage means that that the bailiff may try to take control of and remove the meagre goods levied to apply the sales fee and £20 per day storage so send a Formal Complaint to the council CEO leader and MP dated today by email followed with hard copy so the email is in the inbox before Sunday when the new regime kicks in

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

All i have on the document is;

Amount due: 259.61

Levy Fee: 32.00

Walk Possession Fee: 12.00

Attendance/removal costs: 24.50

Total: 328.11

(Above was the agreed repayable amount)

I will write up a letter and send this off the the local council now, will include the formal complaint about this too. I don't doubt that I owe the money its just the fees keep stacking up and its starting to cause real psychological tension.

I find it hard to come to terms with it costs £32.00 to just use a pen on a piece of paper to write down what I have.

Also, the sofa does not have the labels on. I assume that means they cannot take it then?

Did you sign the agreement & if so did he tell you what would happen if you defaulted on any payments? How many payments have you made to date? Had he made any visits to you before you allowed him into your home? When he did come in did you know he was a Bailiff & did he explain what he was going to do?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did sign the agreement yes, Ive payed £67 of the total 328.11 on 3 payments. The last payment was a day late and now they are looking to take my stuff. The only visits I got was one when I were out, the second I made myself. I did know he was a bailiff and all he really did was say this is how much is owed how are you going to pay it.

He did not explain what would happen if the payments stopped or were a day late.

Thanks for the advice again brassnecked,

I have sent a email to both my local MP and the local council CEO leader, I will also be going to the local council office today to make them aware of what is going on.

Will keep thread updated as and when I get more information.

The bailiff is being a bit naughty as he wants more fees, especially the new exiting £235 or so plus the £110 plus storage means that that the bailiff may try to take control of and remove the meagre goods levied to apply the sales fee and £20 per day storage so send a Formal Complaint to the council CEO leader and MP dated today by email followed with hard copy so the email is in the inbox before Sunday when the new regime kicks in

Rubbish. He cannot charge the new fees under the Taking Control of Goods Regulations. There is obviously already a Levy and possibly a Walking Possession in place. Therefore, this case will continue to be dealt with and fees continues to be applied under Schedule 5.

Rubbish. He cannot charge the new fees under the Taking Control of Goods Regulations. There is obviously already a Levy and possibly a Walking Possession in place. Therefore, this case will continue to be dealt with and fees continues to be applied under Schedule 5.

Great that makes things easier, as so long as a levy exists the EA is bound by the old rules for the life of that debt That bit is encoded in the memory thanks for the clarification and reassurance that my pessimistic view is incorrect.

The items that were put down on levy were my pc-monitor which was mistaken for a television(its a big monitor), has this item got a pak test certificate?

Xbox 360, little value at auction may get about £30-00

2 coffee tables,

Of little value at auction

Wooden tv stand

Of little value at auction

and my sofa.

Does this item have the fire safety tag on it still? if not of zero value

Strangely enough he didn't put down my computer, is this common or are they not allowed to take them?

This item stores personal data and has DPA ( Data Protection ) issues in regards to your personal data, that might be sensitive or it could be used for your vocation and the likes.

Only problem with not letting them in is I still get the extra charge also I did a little reading am I right in saying they can only charge you for two visits and would the removal of goods count as a visit?

Are you now saying you are on benefits? if so inform the EA (bailiff) that you are.

Also chase up your benefits asap and make sure that there is no top-up on your rent and CTAX that you may be liable for.

Also this levy looks like it was of no significant value and did not/would not cover the debt or fees, therefore should have been returned to the Council, so it looks like it was purely to garnish fees for the bailiff/EA, I may be wrong here but looking at the value I don't think so

MM

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Great that makes things easier, as so long as a levy exists the EA is bound by the old rules for the life of that debt That bit is encoded in the memory thanks for the clarification and reassurance that my pessimistic view is incorrect.

Exactly why I've said before, people should be refraining from passing on advice that is potentially wrong at the moment. Just don't do it. It doesn't help anyone, least of all the debtor.