Jump to content

tax credits 3k fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Good afternoon, I was issued with a letter in July 2013 for an overpayment of tax credits for 12k!as they believd i had a partner living with me, Im a single parent but the childs father lives at the same house due to the mortgage.Neither of us can afford to live alone and or come away from the mortgage, not to mention the house being in negative equity. Other than this i have no attachment to the man.


Anyway. I have yet to start re paying my debt as i am on a low wage and really struggle financially anyway. I have kept in touch with HMRC at all times informing them of my situation and responding in a timely manner when asked for information etc. They went through my expenses and agreed i couldnt afford to start repaying any money yet. I wished i had appealed at the time and tried so far with it but i am not strong enough mentally, and all this is making my alot more ill than i was already and i an now seeing my mental health worker more and more!


Just over a week ago i was sent a letter to state i have been issued with the maximum fine of £3,000 to pay? How o earth can they do this? i am worried to death and cannot see any way i can possibly pay £15k back? I would have thought if i was to be issued a fine it would have been in the beginning?


Could someone please advise me the best road to take? Im at my wits end and already feel very weak. Ive tried calling and calling everyday and two numbers they have provided me with, One rings out and one is constantly engaged. I called the main HMRC number to see if i could get another number but they dont have one, theyve updated their system with my mobile number and advised i am contantly ringing but to no avail and suggest i write a letter? I just want it sorting! I hope you can help!


Many thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi i went through something like this a few years ago, have you thought about going to the CAB, they really helped me, try not to stress,

i know where you are coming from as i was really ill over it all, but it is not worth it. xx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, its been a week since i posted and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice please? ive written a letter but id like to fight my corner and find out if they can fine 8 months after sending out the initial overpayments letter? I thought this would have all been done together ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are well within their rights to issue a penalty as they believe you have made a false claim.


Folle has given you advice already that you should speak to CAB as they helped in his/her case.


Your options are to appeal the decision that you are part of a couple or make a repayment plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...