can you still claim dla for a child thats not been formely diagnosed with adhd.

antonia26
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 5 year old as been accessed for adhd we.ve seen the doctor this week who as said it looks like he does have it but can.t be formely diagnoised until he gets the school psycologist report but the school is just dragging their feet i asked months ago for this the doctor has now written to the school to speed it up. The school and i had to fill a qyestionare out schools score was worse than mine, he.s getting behind at school cause he finds it hard to concontrate and keep still he.s forever getting into trouble and being sent to the headmaster along with another boy who as just been told he also as adhd them to bind really well together. My son is also sensitive to some foods aswell i notice cause some make him very more hyper just like some medications. So would i need him to be diagnoised first or should i just go ahead and see what happens mind time they get round to going through the forms he.d probably be diagnoised with it.thanks in advance

You could have a look at this thread from a few months ago.

Basically, the answer is yes, you can claim and you do not need to wait for a diagnosis. DLA is awarded based on specific care or mobility needs, rather than on any formal diagnosis.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

My own experience of this is not easy. I completed an application form with the help of a floating support worker for my dd. She had huge anxieties and social problems. She was turned down, and I went to tribunal with evidence from school/GP/CAMHS and failed. 2 months later I managed to get charity funding for her to go to an independent school for children with disabilities, there she was diagnosed with a severe receptive and expressive language disorder which places her on the autistic spectrum, it was evidenced how she 'hides' her non understanding but how her anxieties affect her. I made a new completely identical DLA application as I had 2 months earlier (as her symptoms and difficulties were identical as they always had been) but this time enclosed her speech and language report which gave her diagnosis. She was awarded LRC and LRM initially for 2 years and then 2 years later was awarded it indefinitely.

So for me I got absolutely nowhere without the diagnosis, despite other professional evidence of her synmptoms. It makes me cross and frustrated actually, as her needs were identical and it shouldn't rest on an official diagnosis but unfortunately in the current system the diagnosis is often crucial.