• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

shoosmiths LLP / Arrow Global - Claim Form Received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We should make clear to you that older C1 agreements routinely appear to be either untraceable or non-compliant therefore defending the claim is almost certainly in your interest; it pains me to see defeatist talk such as "can I offer them £5/month? " What, and go without your Kit Kats?

: (

)

Got It! thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should make clear to you that older C1 agreements routinely appear to be either untraceable or non-compliant therefore defending the claim is almost certainly in your interest; it pains me to see defeatist talk such as "can I offer them £5/month? " What, and go without your Kit Kats?

: (

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hi

This is a CCA request http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974

You need to send it to AG along with a blank P.O. for £1 . Send it signed for delivery . Get that sent off ASAP.

If they have not complied with the CPR request I think you should also be asking for an extension in filing your defence

Hi fletch70,

does it have to be a PO, and not a cheque?

And how do I ask for an extension in filing my defence.

Also, I still need assistance in actually filing my defence. How is this done? Do I actually have to attend court?

Thanks again!

Dave I have twice asked to you to tell us the agreement inception date - usually shown at start of Shoos' debt collection [but not pre-court] letters. Do you have it or not?

Mr Fletch Sir, I did not say my account had been written off, most creditors don't volunteer such nuggets of information; I merely said that Shoos gave up on me.

As for my policy of wilful silence, it has served me very well across all my creditors - and I'm now, for most accounts, at that nail-biting interregnum between L P and D N respective 6th anniversaries.

An added bonus is that I never again need to buy wallpaper. Wescot **** alone would cover the dining room - but also put me off my spag bol.

:(

Dave, forgive me for having digressed in your private space.

Hi fletch70,

does it have to be a PO, and not a cheque?

And how do I ask for an extension in filing my defence.

Also, I still need assistance in actually filing my defence. How is this done? Do I actually have to attend court?

Many prefer P O on the fear that a signature could be lifted to forge a fake signed CCA. If you share

that concern you should use P O or

ask someone else to write a cheque for you.

The defence can be composed using others you will find on the forum and adapted to your situation. And it will depend in part on what responses - if any - you receive to the requests you have sent out.

ps You would need to attend court, unless settled first, otherwise the enemy would get a default judgment. Don't worry, it's relatively informal, not wigs and gowns.

The gallows are kept there on show just to encourage all parties to behave.

Dave I have twice asked to you to tell us the agreement inception date - usually shown at start of Shoos' debt collection [but not pre-court] letters. Do you have it or not?

Mr Fletch Sir, I did not say my account had been written off, most creditors don't volunteer such nuggets of information; I merely said that Shoos gave up on me.

As for my policy of wilful silence, it has served me very well across all my creditors - and I'm now, for most accounts, at that nail-biting interregnum between L P and D N respective 6th anniversaries.

An added bonus is that I never again need to buy wallpaper. Wescot **** alone would cover the dining room - but also put me off my spag bol.

:(

Dave, forgive me for having digressed in your private space.

My Apologies Oleg.

I only have the last letter Shoosmiths sent me, and it does not contain the date that we need. Any letters I had before that I (stupidly) threw away. Sort of 'burying my head in the sand'.

I have requested my credit file from Equifax, hoping that date and other information will be on it. As soon as I know, I will post on here. Thanks again.

Oh, and you are forgiven.smilie.png

Still waiting for Equifax to give me access to my credit report. Paid £11.95 online, took my money, but still no access!

Still had no response from either Shoosmiths or Arrow global. Therefore, will my defence be that, due to having not been supplied with documentation to prove the alleged debt, I cannot be expected to defend it?

Hi All,

I hope some of you are still reading this, haven't had any replies for a while!

As an update, I received the following in the post this morning form Arrow Global:

"We thank you for your letter dated 4/4/2014, received on 9/4/2014 and acknowledge your request for documentation pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We do not accept that we are the creditor as envisaged by the above statute. However, we are willing to assist in obtaining that which has been requested. We will now process your request for documentation from the creditor, and will revert in due course.

We confirm that all collection activity will be suspended pending provision of the documents."

Now, does this mean that the court case will be suspended, or are they trying to trick me into not entering my defence in time, so that judgement will be awarded against me?

Or, does it mean I can relax and do nothing else until the requested documentation has been received?

Any advice will be most welcome!!

Thanks again

What date is your defence due ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

All collection activity suspended do nothing until the CCA request is properly met.

Thanks, Brigadier. Will I have to contact the court? ask for an extension? or will that all be done by the claimant now?

The letter you received on 12.4 is their standard template response to a CCA request. It suspends collection activity *only*. Whilst it would be unwise to proceed with legal action absent a fulfilment of your request, I would not, knowing Shoos, put it past them to slip in through the back door to obtain a default judgment in the expectation that they hope they've tricked you into believing legal action has been put on hold. Just my opinion, Dave, but far better to be safe than sorry. I would be proceeding exactly as if I had not received that template at all.

HI All

So, with a lot of help from other threads on this site, I have drafted a defence. Any chance any one could look at it, and let me know what you think? I need to submit it by Friday.

Thanks in advance!:

####Defence####

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2. The claim is denied with regards to an amount due under an agreement. The Claimant/Solicitor has refused to disclose any agreement or statements on which its claim relies upon.

3. I am unaware of any legal assignment the claimant refers to within its particulars. I have no knowledge of who the claimant is nor ever been approached since the alleged assignment of over 3 years ago up until receipt if this claim.

On receipt of this claim I requested information pertaining to this claim from Shoosmiths LLP Solicitors and Arrow Global Guernsey Ltd. by way of a CPR 31.14 and a section 78 request. To date, no response has been received from Shoosmiths LLP. Arrow Global Guernsey Ltd. have replied to the section 78 request, however they do not accept that they are the creditor, and have yet to furnish me with the requested information. They have stated that they will “assist in obtaining that which has been requested” and have also stated that “we confirm that all collection activity will be suspended pending provision of the documents”

Therefore with the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show and disclose how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) show and disclose how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed for;

© show how the agreement was legally terminated to allow the claimant relief.

(d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5, it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act

and Section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

6. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Particulars of Claim brought forward to cross check with the defence.

1. The claimants claim is for the sum of 684.80 being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under a regulated agreement between the defendant and Capital One (Europe) plc (No. 12345678912345) and assigned to the claimant on 25/02/2011, notice of which has been provided to the defendant.

2. The defendant has failed to make payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served pursuant to the consumer credit Act 1974.

3. The claimant claims the sum of 684.80

4. C has completed, as far as is necessary, with the pre-action conduct practice direction.

Amount Claimed: 684.80

Court Fee: 55.00

Solicitors costs: 70.00

Total Amount 809.80

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Particulars of Claim brought forward to cross check with the defence.

1. The claimants claim is for the sum of 684.80 being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under a regulated agreement between the defendant and Capital One (Europe) plc (No. 12345678912345) and assigned to the claimant on 25/02/2011, notice of which has been provided to the defendant.

2. The defendant has failed to make payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served pursuant to the consumer credit Act 1974.

3. The claimant claims the sum of 684.80

4. C has completed, as far as is necessary, with the pre-action conduct practice direction.

Amount Claimed: 684.80

Court Fee: 55.00

Solicitors costs: 70.00

Total Amount 809.80

Hi Andy.

Do I have to add this to my defence? where does it go?

Thanks

Hi Andy.

Do I have to add this to my defence? where does it go?

Thanks

No I brought it forward for reference as you asked if your defence was ok.You cant check a defence without looking at the particulars....bit like asking check my answer without telling us the question:wink:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

No I brought it forward for reference as you asked if your defence was ok.You cant check a defence without looking at the particulars....bit like asking check my answer without telling us the question:wink:

got it! Thank you!!!!

You said you need to submit "by Friday". Have you checked with court whether they accept a defence submitted on a holiday as having been received on time?

Wish I'd seen this before I'd submitted my defence - sent it in using MCOL at 8.00 pm on Thursday night, however, discovered that unless it was sent in before 4.oopm, it will not be processed until the next working day - that will be this Tuesday. Does this mean my defence will have been deemed to have been submitted late, and therefore will I have a judgment issued against me by default?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my defence was submitted and accepted by the court, and a copy has been sent to the other parties solicitors. They now have 28 days from date of receipt to respond. I still have not received any requested documentation. Counting the days!

Hi All,

I could do with another question answering, if anyone's reading this?

I have had a letter from the court saying that a copy of my defence is being served on the claimant, and they have 28 days to respond. Any one know when that 28 days starts from? My defence was received on 22nd April

Thanks!

From the day the claimant received its copy.