What rights do I have if a utility company damages property?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3653 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm going to try to keep this brief and I hope your not going to mind, but I'm not going to mention names in order to avoid jeopardising the on-going case.

Recently I've had one of the big six utility companies install a boiler for me. Unfortunately:-

1. They didn't clear up properly and left a lot of mess

2. They have also done some damage to the bath panel, bathroom floor and hallway carpet has been left dirty with debris

3. The electrician has incorrectly re-wired the circuit breaker for the boiler and now when one of the living room light switches is used, it triggers all the house electricity to go off from the circuit breaker (short circuit?)

4. Some of the pointing has not been done properly outside.

5. The boiler enclosure that was also covering the electrical switch and pipes was never put back on after the electrician took it off, leaving parts exposed to someone touching or water splashing.

Due to an injury, I had to get the help of my family to clean and it took us a very long time.

I complained and emailed them the photos and their manager/inspector came out and agreed that the damage done was wrong and apologised. He promised that he would put it right and asked for a couple of days to create a report and resolve the problem. I waited and got no response, so when I rang him directly on his mobile, he said it was being looked at. He didn't get back and after calling him and texting him, I realised that my calls were being avoided.

So after chasing up, I managed to get hold of the area complaints manager, but here's the shocking news...they have received the report which has told them the opposite in that there was no issue to resolve and all work carried out was inspected and was safe. Even after seeing the photos, no damage or mess could be seen according the advisor.

I as you can imagine was furious and told them that I was given the false hope of having things fixed, but instead I'm being fobbed off.

There is a lot more to this, but I want to keep things in perspective. I would be most grateful if anyone can pls advice on my rights and what I can do to get things done. What are my chances of success?

Can you get a quote from a proper installer /builder to rectify there mess

If so write to the company that messed things up as a letter before action

Give them a set time to pay for the repairs or put things right

If they ignore you move down the line of a court claim against them

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thanks for your reply mate. The problem I have regarding the mess is that we cleaned it all up as we needed to use the bathroom and didn't want our kids to end up getting hurt or our youngest to pick something up and eat it. I doubt it they would pay for our time, would they? I'm happy to contact a tradesman to get a few quotes, but I want to know what are my chances of succeeding?

Also I was thinking if they don't sort it out, I should post the photos on their Facebook or Twitter accounts... What do you think?

If you have photos of the work

A court claim would probably be the best bet

They may even buckle and pay up on receiving the court papers

I suspect if you put something on there facebook page they will remove it and block you

Thanks mate. Yes I've got photos to show and a video to show. Is a court claim a long process? They might be able to block me on Facebook, but surely it's it's usually enough to make them see sense and sort things out?

Hi boiler

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain what's happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do. E-mail it to the CEO of the utility company. The e-mail address for the CEO is readily available on the internet. Stress that if the matter is not resolved satisfactorily to will take legal action.

Thank you very much rebel11. I have just got off the phone with their complaints dept. She said that the same guy who originally agreed the damage is going to come out and that he might possibly bring someone with him for a second opinion. I explained that I was not happy with having someone whom has back tracked on his promise to inspect the damage, but she said that is the only person for my area. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they will do.

Thank you very much rebel11. I have just got off the phone with their complaints dept. She said that the same guy who originally agreed the damage is going to come out and that he might possibly bring someone with him for a second opinion. I explained that I was not happy with having someone whom has back tracked on his promise to inspect the damage, but she said that is the only person for my area. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they will do.

As you have got off the phone you need to stay off it

Everything in writing only

Speaking to them on the phone is pointless they do not care and you are probably wasting there time so well as yourse

As you have got off the phone you need to stay off it

Everything in writing only

Speaking to them on the phone is pointless they do not care and you are probably wasting there time so well as yourse

Not if my calls are being recorded :)