P45 sent to me but still working notice period - any issues?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3673 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am working out my notice period but in error, my employer has already notified HMRC that I have left and I have received my P45 in the post during the week. I asked them whether I'll get an updated version when I leave but they said as they've already notified HMRC, they won't send another. Is this right and also are there any major implications if I just keep this one in terms of either my final pay or tax codes for new employer, etc...? Also, does this technically mean I shouldn't be in the office!!

Have you had your final salary?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They can do it, but it is fiddly. In the old days it was reasonably straightforward and a new P45 could be completed, but they will probably be on FPS - the online 'real-time' payroll reporting system which makes things more complicated. They cannot simply update the record once using the online system and would have to set you up as a new starter, with a new payroll number, and issue a P45 just for the remaining time of your service when you do finally leave.

If they do not do this, then it will have an impact on your pay until you leave,and there will be a difficulty in reconciling the record when you restart employment. I would challenge your payroll department on this as it could hit you further down the line.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I have not received my final salary yet - I leave in just over a week's time. My new employer seems perfectly fine with the P45 that the company I'm serving notice to has already issued to me in error. What kind of impact could it have on my final pay please? It seems to me they want to leave it as there's lots of admin involved to get me back on as an employee but if there are risks to my tax etc... I will def push it with them to get a P45 on my final date here.