routine visits to vet after 5 years

billh65
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My dog has been taking tablets for 5 years now and the vet still insists on me taking her to the surgery every 3 months for a checkup.

Surely if the tablets were going to cause any problems this would have shown up ages ago.

Can the vet refuse to give me another 3 months supply if we do not attend the surgery?

(My dog is now getting old, she is 17, and cannot walk that far, although she is generally well and enjoys her food,

potters around the garden etc. I

have no transport to take her so, after 5 years,

is it still essential that I have to find a way to get her down to the vets again just to get her next lot of tablets?

Depends what tablets they are. If they are " prescription" tablets, or high strength, then your vet would need to check the dog to ensure they are still worthwhile. However every 3 months for 5 years sounds excessive. perhaps they are trying to make money from you?

Dont think about stopping the tablets though as your dog may have become reliant on them.

Why not pop into a different vets and get the opinion of another vet.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Depends what tablets they are. If they are " prescription" tablets, or high strength, then your vet would need to check the dog to ensure they are still worthwhile. However every 3 months for 5 years sounds excessive. perhaps they are trying to make money from you?

Dont think about stopping the tablets though as your dog may have become reliant on them.

Why not pop into a different vets and get the opinion of another vet.

Trouble is we are not in an area with any other vets and to go elsewhere would require transport.

The tablets are prescription but, as I said she has been taking them and having regular checkups every 3 months for 5 years

and has no major problems apart from her age.

I would not just stop the tablets as I would never do anything which might harm her,

but it is getting to be quite a job getting her down to the surgery each time now.

Perhaps speak to the practice manager or the head vet there. get their opinion.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I will try that. Thanks for the advice. She is due for her next 3 month checkup at the end of this month so I will try to speak to the manager when I phone down to arrrange it this week.

Edited by billh65
spelling mistake

Oh I had all this with a vet years ago when I had 6 cats. The vet before would just give me worm and flea treatment for the lot of them when required, because he knew I was a good owner (hence having so many bloody strays) and any problems they'd be taken straight to the vets. When the new vet came he insisted I took all 6 of them for an inspection BEFORE he'd issue any treatment, every time. And charged me as well. I had to change vets in the end. I'm still not sure of the rights and wrongs of it honestly.

However, given this is the only vet in the area, and if talking to him doesn't change things, do you have access to an animal ambulance service? RSPCA might be able to recommend one. Hope you get it sorted.

What is the medication for? Has it remained exactly the same for all that time, no change in dose? Many conditions need this sort of monitoring to check and adjust dosage. Have you checked the prices of the medication online? You can ask your vet to just give you the prescription if it would be cheaper to get the drugs elsewhere.

It sounds to me like the vet is using you as a profit maker. Especially if they are charging you continuous consultation fee's. The vets i take my collie to ( and have used for various pets since 2002), do not, and pretty much refuse to charge repeat consultation fee's for the same ailment.

It's impossible to know if this vet is over consulting without knowing the condition the dog is being treated for and what drugs are being prescribed. Any vet will only prescribe for a maximum of six months without seeing an animal and it does depend on the condition and the drug. If the vet is say checking blood pressure or running a blood panel every time the dog is seen then three months may not be excessive. On the other hand, if there are no tests being run then at these check ups why is the vet seeing the dog or continuing to prescribe.

We don't even know until the OP gives us more information if the tablets are POM-V.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is prescription only medication and depending on what the condition is, some medication needs to be monitored frequently for any changes to the animal such as kidney or liver damage, which is why they ask for periodic reviews.

Just the same as our own DR will issue repeat prescriptions, but still need quarterly review.

Without knowing the illness and the medication we can only perceive this to be the case.

HOWEVER ask your vet how much they charge for a prescription without supplying the medication. They can write the script for 3 mths, and you can source from a pet chemist online. You will need to provide a copy of the script to them

IE: Your vet charges £1.00 per tablet from them so 100 tablets = £100

Then ask how much your vet charges for a script £13.00, but online you can source the medication for .70p each = £70 plus £13 = £83.00 saving £17 per quarter

Shop around for prices from the different online pet chemists as these prices change occasionally too.

We would save £40 every quarter by taking our dog for her review, have a script written, then getting the meds online instead of the vet ;)