Work has made me ill, how do I get out?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3683 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can any one help, I have worked for company for 6 years, the last 2 weeks it has become too stressful due to work load and losing my mum. I am on the sick and about to have counselling, could I get another job whilst on the sick and can this be used as my notice, I cannot go back to my job.

You know you could be entitled to beteavement leave.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I had nearly 3 weeks off when she passed away last October. My doctor believes I have not gone through the grieving process and this is why I am unwell at the moment.

I'm sorry to read about the terrible time you are having right now bud1968. I would hope your employers and GP are understanding and give you time and space, though the grieving process and its effects are individual to each of us.

I was completely drained after my own mother's funeral - washed out. Personally I was glad to get back to work and it's banal moments; the photocopier getting clogged with paper, Old Rosie and her stories about what her cat got up to when she got home the previous night, the usual moaning about car-parking problems....

it just allowed me to hook back into a 'normal' existence and helped me steady my very emotional state at that time. But it is different for everybody.

Could you afford to leave this job, without another job being lined up, and still pay the bills? If not you may be creating more stress for yourself at this very vulnerable time.

How about asking your GP to signing you off for another couple of weeks - maybe things might be clearer then. Or you could ask your GP about signing you off on a phased return to work, perhaps two or three days for a month (or two) and see how you go from there? Most GPs would go for that I think.

Wishing you all the best at this time; please remember that things will settle down eventually.

Hi my problem is I do not want to return to my very stressful job. My GP has given me 2 weeks off work. I need another job when I am in the right frame of mind for work. I am unsure of my rights and if I could leave this job whilst on sick leave?

Hi again bud1968,

well, since October I guess you have had some time to size things up, and if you want to go that is your prerogative of course. I believe leaving your job while on sick leave is a possibility - one or two colleagues at my old workplace certainly resigned and left in that manner.

Do you want to just leave/resign or are you looking for a severance package?

Hi SweetLorraine,

I am not looking for severance pay, I just want to leave. I have a very difficult boss and I believe she will make it very difficult therefore it is important that I know my rights.

OK bud1968, well I guess you are can just resign and work your notice period (or stay signed off). There is plenty of advice on the web here is one such website http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/life-at-work/resigning.

I'm sure one or two of the HR experienced contributors on here could walk you through the process.

All the best for the future, maybe a fresh start after a break may be the best thing for you.

Wishing you all the best for the future.