SD for Dubai Credit Card debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3668 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 4 months later...
no worries, I've been told that even if an attempt to secure a judgement in the UK is made it will be thrown out and effectively there is no real legal recourse to recover in UK, and even less in Scotland.Just need advise on wether to reply to it or not and if so how to contruct the reply,thanks

Hi wangdoodle, I'm dealing with the same company. Have you heard any further. There is no reference of any claim being successful. Good luck

• 2 months later...

I am in the same boat and received a hand delivered SD today but seems very dodgy (even the delivery guy thought it was dodgy and not enforceable) as it is an unsecured amount it also does not meet the requirements as highlighted on the form to breakdown any interest charged. Think its a bluff so will fight it. Has anyone been past this stage? I the past they have threatened CCJ through Northampton however have now changed tack and are pushing for bankruptcy.

Are there any implications of setting aside an SD even though I think its a fake? Does this start any proceedings with the court ie.a trick?

When you apply for a set aside of an SD, if the court is satisfied that you have grounds, there will be a hearing to decide on this. If you do not apply for a set aside, the claimant could after 21 day just apply to the court for a bankruptcy petition. The question is would you prefer to deal with it as a set aside of an SD or at bankruptcy petition stage.

I don't think you have much choice but to take the SD seriously and to apply for the set aside. If you post to this sites legal folder, you may get some advice there. There are Solicitors who will help you and they may not charge you if they can recover their costs. But some Solicitors may be reluctant, if they don't have knowledge of foreign debt enforcement in the UK.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The plot thickens. I called the court listed on the SD to see about setting it aside and they informed me that due to the location of my residence it is not their jurisdiction and they cannot accept it. Is this another example of CWD scare tactics using dodgy paperwork? My question is can they only petition for bankruptcy based on the court listed on the SD?

The person at the court has either misunderstood or is talking rubbish. When a creditor or their representative issues an SD, they just do it themselves and they may note a court. But no court will have touched the SD. The SD is only provided to a court, if 21 days have gone by, no set aside has been applied for and therefore it is possible to petition for bankruptcy.

You can go to whichever county court is nearest to you that handles bankruptcy and they will accept the set aside.

Do not think this is some bluff and that you don't need to do anything. You risk next being served a bankruptcy petition, if you do not set aside the SD.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually Yes.

I received an SD nearly two months ago from Solicitor claiming to be representing a Dubai bank to which I allegedly owe £170k. I have no idea what this is and how it could possibly be so much. I contacted the national debt helpline who said the SD was probably a scare tactic and suggested I write to them for more info. I have since sent 5 requests for more information and breakdown of the amount claimed all sent recorded delivery. They also advised as the debt was 8 years old with no contact that it would be statue barred, they have since changed their mind on this. On this basis I did not set aside but contacted them directly. All I have received is a photocopy of an application form which has my details on for a credit card which I believed was settled when I left. I have now received a petition for bankruptcy for a sum £60k less than the original SD. The petition is a copy and I cannot read the stamps from which court it has been issued.How would I verify this i actually from the court. I have no assets, no job and no way to pay so i'm not sure what they will achieve from making me bankrupt and will obviously be disputing the claim.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Nothing from me. I will post if I do hear anything. My solicitor has advised me and is very confident, which in turns puts my mind at rest.

I have also seen a solicitor who has advised me to object to the bankruptcy petition on a number of arguments. If you don't mind me asking what makes your solicitor so confident.

Regards.