• Tweets

• hope everyone can see this (might be issues if not UK connection)   Post Office lawyer was a jack of all trades, but failed his own | ... WWW.COMPUTERWEEKLY.COM Post Office IT scandal inquiry hears how a lawyer was at the centre of the Post Office’s attempts to prevent problems with its IT system...  
    • as if a lawyer, let alone a senior one wouldn't have full documentation - if she claims she hasn't - claw back all the payments made to her   https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/post-office-inquiry-live-former-gc-susan-crichton-gives-evidence/5119453.article?clearcache=1
    • Id start by submitting a formal Subject Access Request to the local authority. State that you want all data including telephone recordings.   They'll have a month to provide you with the data and recordings then
    • a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF and have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's type most doorstepper threats are usually just that. however if you want a good giggle if they do turn up to collect your doorstep. get your phone. film them do not engage simply state leave my property now and never return else i'll call police 101. ideally you should have been reading up during this +18mts sage. then you'd already know. dx  
    • you do not need a sep accredited jewellers report..how stupid. stop believing things someone says face to face that they would never put in writing. the judge would eat them for breakfast if they did, dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Gilly35
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It appears that DNs have been issued in the past But Not followed through because attempts were made to rectify,

the account the relationship finally broke down completely in 2013

a DN was issued and not rectified then the default was place and reported to the CRA.

IMO there is nothing here that suggests that this default is unfair and could be removed.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your response.

The account defaulted in 2010 then a PPI claim meant that it was running ok until around July 2011,

from that point the account was on a debt arrangement of £5 per month.

They continued to send me the DFN but did not actually DF the account till 2013.

Would I not have a case to ask that the DFN be set from when the account finally defaulted in July 2011?

I was honest with them at that point.

I explained my brain tumor and that returning to work would be unlikely for at least a year, so they knew that the account would not be paid at that point.

My guess is that the Nationwide decided not to place a default at the time of your illness to avoid further stress for you, and you did state that you could not pay for a year or more and they have with held any action over that period of time in the hope payments would restart, the default finally being placed in 2011.

There no overwhelming reason for the default to be back dated.

A Default Notice is really just to inform you what can happen if the default situation is not remedied, this is entirely at the creditors discretion.

There is only an extremely thin chance that the bank might back date as a "gesture of good will" you would need to write to them at director level to try this.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Really? Devastated!

I had defaulted on an overdraft and a credit card as well and both of them posted defaults in 2011...this means that I will be another 5 years before I am out of this mess.

It seems so unfair,

how am I ever to get back on my feet with this taking another 5 years?

At this rate I will be in my 40's before I can even buy my own home :(

Also I have read that they should really post the default 3 to 6 months after the account defaults and posting one later is unfair but legal

As said an appeal for a gesture of good will to a senior exec of NW might have a slim chance.

That is from the ICO Guidance Document and the key word is "should" but it is the creditor that decides to place the default or not.

My suggestion is to write to Graham Beale the CEO and state your case as clearly as you can and ask for the default to be back dated.

Also I would suggest that you take a look at the "new" conditions being applied to mortgage applications.

Great thank you :)

Hello Gilly as per PM, try this.

For the Personal Attention of:

Mr Graham Beale

CEO Nationwide.

Ref: Account No. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Dear Mr Beale,

I refer to my Personal Loan Account reference xxxxxxxxxxxx, which was defaulted on xx.xx.xxxx

after a period of non usage due to my serious illness of which Nationwide was informed on xx.xx.xxxxx,

as you will see this account has been through various stages with default notice issued

and the default remedied on at least 2 occasions seemingly to the satisfaction of Nationwide.

The purpose of this letter is to seek a "gesture of goodwill from Nationwide in regard to the default finally placed on the account on xx.xx.2013.

I am seeking to have the default date put back to the date in 2011 when I informed Nationwide of my inability

to make payments for at least a year due to serious illness.

I am now attempting to rebuild my life and my credit profile which is difficult with a default showing in 2013 when I think the default actually occurred in 2011.

I would appreciate your early and favourable reply.

These are my suggestions please amend delete as you see fit.

Brig.

Signed for post.

• 8 months later...

Hi this has been a long running thread that I need a little more advice on.

The situation is that Nationwide issued a default on my account in Feb 2013.

Having looked at my CRF and raising a SAR I have figured out exactly what happened:

January 2011 - I contacted NW to inform them I was seriously ill and had been made redundant on medical grounds.

They agreed £5 monthly token payment for a 12 month period

February 2011 - Started monthly payment of £5

May 2011 - Applied for PPI redress on account

September 2011 - PPI redress applied to the account including interest that Nationwide recorded as a cheque payment to the account

- At this point they said that the account was once again performing,

although I was still making the £5 minimum payment (?)

February 2012 - PPI money runs out on the account and Nationwide say the account is once again defaulting.

I continue to make the £5 minimum payment

February 2013 - Nationwide issue a Default to my credit file

December 2014 - Write to Nationwide saying that the Default date is unfair and not a true reflection of the account

January 2014 - Nationwide write back.

In the first paragraph they say that the default date is fair as I was making the full payments to the account for 6 months

between September 2011 and February 2012.

I asked Nationwide what the cheque payment on my account was for in September of 2011 as I had no means of paying the account.

There answer in paragraph 2,

we paid the cheque into your account for interest from PPI on your loan.

I never made any more than £5 token payment since February 2011 but they default me 2 years later...

.I am really struggling to see how this is fair or allowed.

How can I be struggling to pay, they are told by the ombudsman to repay PPI

but use it to prolong my punishment for not paying the debt.

If I have to give up on this fight then fine, but I really feel that I have been treated unfairly.

Any advice?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi can anyone advise me on this letter from Nationwide. I have had numerous fights with them about the date of the default. Now they have sent this letter but I am not sure what it means nor where I stand

I think that you need to show us the letter

Yes sorry currently trying to upload it

Here is the letter.

A bit of background.

Loan was taken out in 2004.

Account went into arrears in January 2011 but default was not issued until 2013.

I have sent letters protesting the late default but got nowhere.

Out of the blue last January they sent me a letter saying they were reviewing charges to the account.

Late last year they sent another letter saying they had set charges that were wrong and refunded me the charges (no compound interest or anything).

Now this letter has arrived.

I am really not sure what this letter is saying.

I currently pay this debt on a debt management plan.

All advice welcome

nationwide.pdf

Three threads since 2014 on same subject merged

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

All this means is you can stop payments

Who else are you paying thru the dmp

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Still a DMP

What debt types are they

and they

Type of debts e.g credit card, loan, store account, current account ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ah one is an overdraft the other a credit card

Both of which drop off my cf this year

What I am wondering is, if NW are saying that the debt is unenforceable then how can they also say that I am a defaulter?! How can I default on an agreement if they are saying that the agreement is void?

anyone?

Makes no odds

Let em fall off

and they

But this one still has another 2 years to run!

This has been my point all along.

NW defaulted me much later than the other creditors even though I defaulted all 3 at the same time.

Now NW are saying the debt is unenforceable.

..Firstly what does this actually mean?

I assume i still owe the money bit they can't chase me in court.

Secondly does the default still stand?

Both of which drop off my cf this year

and they