Jump to content

Definition of income for HB purposes?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3547 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I am in receipt of job seekers allowance, housing benefit and council tax support. I share my home with a lodger who pays me £20 per week rent, plus then half of that month's bills. The council has decided that his bill payments constitute income, and have therefore reduced my benefits accordingly. I have explained to them that he only pays his share of the bills with that money, and that it is not a profit for me, but they have taken it off me and so I am left with a situation where effectively I am having to pay my lodgers bills myself, and so am financially worse off than I was before. Are there any grounds for appealing this decision, or is the council's interpretation of 'income' in this respect correct? Thanks very much.

Edited by kaotician
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the bills are in the lodger's name, then any payments made in that respect would (in my opinion) correctly be regarded as "income".





No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. How does anyone in my circumstance actually make having a lodger pay? For all the inconvenience, I'm actually worse off and feel I have no choice but to ask my lodger to leave immediately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Until UC comes in, having a lodger doesn't pay, only the first £20 is allowed to be kept. Same with JSA, the DWP would need to know about this income too.


When UC arrives more rent money will be allowed to be kept, but a lodger won't count as taking up a bedoorm if that bedroom is part of social housing so there will still be an under occupancy HB reduction part of UC as if it were empty. All a bit bizarre. Until then, it's not worth having a lodger as it costs more than £20 a week to have one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to be honest, I find this very confusing. I had a lodger until he passed away just shy of two years ago now. He was always included as income on my ESA forms and HB. He paid £60pw plus half bills. All declared. Indeed, HB paid me £240 each four week period. Throughout that time I had no loss of ESA and no loss of my own full HB. I can only assume I live in some sort of black hole!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...